Canon PIXMA MX310 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Canon PIXMA MX310 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Best all in one I have ever used

Jan 7, 2010 (Updated Jan 7, 2010)

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Auto paper feeder
Easy setup
Fast

Cons:Initial print kind of slow
Re-manufactured ink doesn't work with ink level monitor

The Bottom Line: If you want a lot of quality features at a good price, this is the all-in-one for you.

Why we got it:

My wife is a elementary school teacher so she is always needing to make copies of this and make copies of that.  We go through a full ream of paper about every month.  That is a lot of printing for a family of just 2 people!

Using it:

Setup was a breeze.  I had it installed on our office computer in less than 5 minutes.  Follow the pictures and pop in the cd.

There is calibration setups that prints out test pages and you select which number looks better.  It has a total of 3 of these tests it prints when you install a new ink cartridge.  I recommend doing this because every cartridge is different and you want it to be performing top notch.  However, you don't have to do this if you don't want to.  Your printing will still look fine.

It also has a ink level monitor.  However, it only works with brand new store bought cartidges.  Remanufactured won't work (further detail below).

Print Quality:

Text printing is wonderful, even on the "draft" printing option.  We use draft to help save on ink.  There is also Normal and High.

Picture art/internet page printing is also great for a home printer.  There aren't noticeable lines or anything.

We haven't tried photo quality prints.

Print/Copy Speed:

It can print up to 22 black pages a minute and 17 color pages a minute

It can also copy 22 black pages a minute and 17 color pages a minute.

Copier:

This is the best feature!It has an auto document feeder on top so you can place up to 30 pages in there and it will automatically pull the pages in order and print copies.  This works great for my wife who is always printing multiple copies of papers that are 5-10 pages total.  For the price of this all-in-one, this feature will save you a lot of time every time you use it.

You can lift the top up and place each page in by hand if you want, by why would you do that!?  The auto feeder allows you to put them all in, set the number of copies and leave.  Come back a few minutes later and it is all done.  We have never had it pull through multiple pages at once (a problem that can occur sometimes with an auto feeder that isn't "professional" grade).

Fax machine

The fax is really easy to use.  Just push the fax button on the display, put the document in the auto feeder or directly on scanner and type in the phone number.  Press OK and it will send you fax in less than 15 seconds.  Receiving a fax works great too.  It auto picks up after 2 rings.

Scanner:

We don't really use it for pictures etc.  We have used it for IDs and stuff like that.  The quality looks great.  Sorry I can't comment on the photo quality though.

Customizable Settings

There are a lot of settings that you can change like:
darkness/lightness
print/copy speed
density
etc.

Although you can change this stuff.  I would recommend keeping it on the auto section.  It seems to do the best.  Occasionally on light text (like handwriting in pencil) you may need to change the darkness up a little bit.

Other Features

The in-house scanner program is great for showing your scanned documents.

It also has something that can convert copied words on a page to actual text.  This is a great feature, though it isn't 100% accurate.  Make sure you proof read it.

Size/Weight

It weighs about 20 pounds and is a little akward to hold.  Be careful moving it around because the weight of this thing is a little deceiving.

Troubleshooting:

If you find that your black and white copies are too light then it is probably the print setting.  When it prints a copy in "draft" mode it is noticeably lighter.  Changing this to "normal" will fix it easily.

Also, if you use remanufactured ink cartridges (take them to a store to get refilled or buy cheaper ones already filled on eBay) then the printer might say that it doesn't recognize or it thinks the cartridge is empty when you put a new one in there.  Just hold the "Stop/Reset" button for about 10 seconds and this overrides the printer and will allow you to use it anyways.

The downside of using a re-manufactured cartridge is that the "ink level monitor" won't work.  It will always say they are empty even if they aren't.  It's just the nature of re-manufactured cartridges.

Downsides

The first print to it in a couple hours can take anywhere from 30 sec - 1 minute to start printing.  I'm not sure why for sure, but I have read it is because it is warming up and getting printer alignments in the right position.  So if this happens, don't be alarmed.

Conclusion

For the price this all-in-one is a bargain.  The auto paper feeder for copies is a must for a home based business or family that makes a lot of copies of multiple pages (like my teaching wife)!  The quality of printing is very good too.

Operating System: Windows and Macintosh

Now print, scan, and fax in one device with Canon Pixma MX310,an all rounder in its field. The Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) in this InkJet Printer ...