Canon PIXMA MP190 All-In-One Inkjet Printer Reviews

Canon PIXMA MP190 All-In-One Inkjet Printer

Canon PIXMA MP190 printer scanner copier

Jul 18, 2009

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Very cheap, good quality prints & scans

Cons:NO GENERIC INK

The Bottom Line: If you need to print, scan & copy & you don't want to spend a fortune, this is a great deal.

Canon PIXMA MP190 scanner printer.

A preface:
A few days ago, my trusty old Canon LIDE20 flatbed scanner mysteriously decided it didn't feel like scanning anything. After searching online for Canon's contact info, I finally reached a tech support person who informed me that since my scanner was older than 1 year (it had a 1 year warranty when I purchased it new) that I'd have to pay a $9.95 tech support fee to find out if my scanner could be repaired. I didn't have the $9.95 to spare so I told the tech all the troubleshooting steps I'd taken (won't go into all that now, it's really not relevant here) and asked if they thought it could be repaired at a reasonable price.
They said I'd have to ship it to a repair center for repairs, but it sounds like its dead & probably not worth the trouble.
I was totally disappointed as I have had no issues with my old scanner in all the time I've used it.
Canon offered me a customer loyalty coupon (good for only 14 days) of 10% off a new Canon scanner purchased through the Canon online store.

I searched their website but the scanners they had in stock began at $59.99 and up. Even with 10% off, that was more that I wanted to spend to replace a $40.00 scanner.

After a little more online research, I ran across the PIXMA MP190 printer/scanner available locally at WallyWorld for a mere $40.00 (plus tax).

Having owned several Canon printers, scanners & digital cameras, I was pretty sure I'd go back with a Canon.

The printer specs are identical to my moms Canon PIXMA printer & it even uses the same ink.
It prints 4" x 6" photos borderless in just over a minute. It prints black up to 19 pages per minute. Color pages print at 15 pages per minute.
These are the Canon specs. I'm assuming their print settings are on standard or draft, in my experience printing in high quality mode with matte or glossy photo paper can take several minutes per page.
Black resolution up to 600 x 600dpi, Color 4800 x 1200dpi
It will print 4x6, 5x6, 8x10, #10 envelopes & regular 8 ½x11 paper. The paper tray will hold 100 sheets.

In copy mode, it states similar specs as regular printing. Again, I'm assuming they're using standard or draft quality for copies.

For ink, it uses the CL 31 & PG 30 ink tanks; unfortunately Canon went back to those old 3 colors in one tank for the color ink which means I'll be buying a ton of color ink again.
You do have the option of using the CL 41 & PG 40 high yield ink tanks, but they're nearly double the price.

Scanning:
Resolution is identical to my old LIDE20 scanner (RIP) at 600 x 1200dpi, 19,200 x 19,200 interpolated.
You can scan by pressing the scan button on the machine, or if you happen to have image editing software already installed, you should be able to scan directly from your software.
Unfortunately, I didn't receive any fancy image editing software with my machine, but I still have the software that came with my old scanner & it works just fine for me.

I can't tell any difference in images scanned with this scanner and those scanned with my old scanner...that's a good thing.

Previewing images is much faster than my old scanner, now it only takes a few seconds to preview a full page. Scanning is also fairly quick, even at higher resolutions of 400dpi+. Normally less than a minute to scan a full page at this resolution.
The scanner is quite a bit louder than my old scanner, but it was so quiet that you could hardly know when it was scanning/finished/waiting on me to do something.

Printing:
So far, the print quality has been quite acceptable for such a cheap machine.
Image quality & speed of printing is nearly identical to our PIXMA IP2600 printer (see my other reviews).

Using the standard settings will suffice for printing text documents & web pages using plain paper, but try printing pictures & you'll soon be disappointed. Pictures on plain paper, using the standard quality setting are milky & not very detailed.
A few clicks to photo paper & high quality & you're in business. Much deeper, richer colors & more details.

If you need to print a full 8 ½" x 11" image, just change the print settings to borderless & you'll be able to print all the way to all edges of a page.

I haven't had time to print any extremely detailed images that I've scanned in, but I'm sure the quality will be just as good.

The printer is also a bit louder than my old printer, but with thinner materials & more open space inside the machine, it's bound to resonate every little click & bump much more.

It seems like Canon took the PIXMA ip2600 printer & added on the LIDE20 scanner on top & called it the PIXMA mp190 all in one. It actually is just a few inches taller than the ip2600 & has basically the same footprint on the desk. 18" wide x 14" deep x 7" tall.

I haven't had enough time to test all the machine mounted controls (copy, print, etc) as I usually just scan images into the computer using my image editing software.

I was surprised to find a USB2.0 cable included in the box. Finally! Somebody gets it. A simple $0.49 cable that will save another trip to the store.
Also included was a sample pack of 4x6 photo paper. I must have half a million of these photo paper packs now. I've never used one that came with any of my printers or cameras. If Canon would throw in a 10pk of full sized glossy photo paper, then we'd be in business.

This particular model doesn't have all the fancy bells & whistles like an LCD screen, direct printing from media cards, etc. But that's not for everybody, especially not for me.
It prints, it scans, and it copies. That's all I need (really didn't need the printing, but it was an added bonus).

At this price & with the scanner, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm still fuming over the "no more separate ink tanks for each color" deal, but I can buy another ip2600 printer (with ink included) for a couple dollars more than a new set of ink. Looks like somebody is going to be getting a new printer (without any ink).

Overall a good printer, a good scanner & an easy way to make quick copies.

Operating System: Windows

Be it printing a photo or a text document, the Canon PIXMA MP190 printer recognizes the type of original you're copying and processes the image accord...