Canon PIXMA IP1800 Digital Photo Inkjet Printer Reviews

OK Basic Printer From Canon

Jan 23, 2008
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Paper Handling:

Pros:Inexpensive. Good output

Cons:Lacks individual color cartridges. No paper tray

The Bottom Line: This might be a good choice for someone with basic needs and only occasional printing sessions. Those printing daily should move up the ladder.

Cheap and small is what I sought. Cheap and small is what I bought.
My search for a second printer took me to the usual places: Walmart, K-Mart, BJ’s, Circuit City, and even Office Depot. The under fifty crowd are for the most part small but have a quality and flimsy feel that match their price. Also most of these economy models were in the HP, Brother, or Lexmark families. Since I’ve been pleased with my Canon MultiPass and like the feeding properties of the Canon, I held out for a Canon printer. Tiring of the search I came across Canon’s Pixma iP 1800 on Amazon, priced at fifty dollars with free shipping. Reading mostly favorable reviews, I pulled the trigger. Of course, several days after the printer was delivered I saw this model advertised for a lower price locally. It never fails.

Pixma iP 1800

Measures 17.4 by 9.3 by 6 inches
Weighs 12 pounds

In the box: the printer, a black ink cartridge, a color cartridge, power cord, easy set up instructions, document kit, setup software and user’s guide CD rom, quick start guide

Windows and Macintosh compatibility. Works with XP, Vista, or Windows 2000.

Software – Easy photo print, Easy layout print

On the box- “ Maximum 4800x 1200 color dpi with microscopic droplets as small as 2 picoliters
Borderless 4” x 6” photo in approximately 70 seconds
Easy borderless photos up to 8.5 x 11 inches
ChromaLife 100 system for long-lasting, beautiful photos
Pigment black ink for crisp, sharp text

Print Your Pix, Ma

Set up of the little Pixma was as smooth as mashed potatoes. It’s a simple matter to install the drivers, plug in the printer and attach the USB cable. Actually attaching the USB cable could be a problem, if you don’t happen to have a spare or haven’t bought one. A USB cable is NOT included with the printer.

We like how the paper feeds with this printer and other Canon printers. Paper is loaded in the back of the printer and feeds down to the print heads and out the front. The paper doesn’t have to curl back on itself as it does with some other printers. Envelopes or 4 by 6 photo paper are loaded in the same holder as regular paper. A sliding sleeve holds these smaller media in place. So far we have had no crumpled papers or jams other than the blueberry I have on my morning toast.

You won’t be printing anything in secret with this printer unless it’s in a remote part of the house. It’s somewhat louder than my MultiPass, but not annoyingly so. I also notice that the printer does shake when operating and even travels a little bit. It might help to put one of those tacky mats under it that hold things in place.

Output and speed – I haven’t actually timed printings, but have found times to be reasonable. Black text is crisp and sharp even on draft speed. Photographs printed on plain paper on the medium setting are good and more than acceptable. Photographs printed on Canon photo paper are very good, with good saturation, detail, and vibrancy. Those who want archive quality prints should have their photos printed in a lab or spend a few more dollars for a higher quality printer.

As with all printers, replacement printers are expensive. Replacing both cartridges can equal or exceed the price of the printer itself. Pay a little more and buy the larger color cartridge, the 41. The Fine 31 only lasted a couple weeks, even trying to be conservative and judicious with the printer settings. Installing and replacing the cartridges is very easy also. The cartridges are very accessible and just slide in and out.

I wish I had spent a little more and bought a printer that had individual color cartridges. With this printer, if one color runs out, the entire color cartridge must be replaced.

This printer has not tray to catch the paper as it comes out of the printer. If your Pixma is on the edge of a table, printed materials will fall on the floor like it was shot out of a canon.

I especially like the Easy Print software that comes with the Canon printers. No corrections can be made to photographs using this software, but it’s great for layout, cropping, and positioning. It gives the user plenty of printing options.

As with my Canon MultiPass, best results have been achieved with genuine Canon® paper. That might be a result of canon law.

Finally
Even though this printer is Canonized, it’s no saint. For a student with modest needs or for a person with only occasional printing needs, the Pixma could be a good choice. I think it’s worth spending 20 to fifty dollars more for a multi-function printer or one with individual color ink cartridges.

Made in Vietnam
Meets the Energy Star guidelines for energy efficiency

Operating System: Windows

The Canon PIXMA iP1800 InkJet Photo Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB 2.0.

Canon Pixma iP1800 Photo Printer - Free Shipping The unit is brand new in box. The item will not be overboxed. If you would like it to be overboxed, t...