Cantar Aquacover Solar Blankets

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Like To Take A Late Night Dip? Cantar Will Keep You Warm

Jun 13, 2001 (Updated Sep 6, 2001)

Pros:Warms water, Use less chemicals/water. Cleaner pool.

Cons:A slight annoyance to put on the pool and remove. Nothing Major.

The Bottom Line: Easy way to Warm pool water, Use less chemicals/water. Cleaner pool.

Four years ago we purchased a used above ground pool system. Included we received a solar blanket for the pool. It had a small tear down the center seam. I used it like that for the summer of ‘98 and most of the summer of ‘99. Last year when we opened the pool my (helpful?) husband saw the tear had spread to 1/2 way across and tossed my solar blanket in the trash - horrors! He didn’t realize what he had done - he doesn’t like the pool...

I set about finding a new solar blanket. Namco, the pool store in our area where you can purchase swimming pools and accessories did not have any in stock. This is not a store that I would depend on enough to order a cover or swimming pool from.

Once back at home I got on the phone and called for some prices/stock. I was very surprised when I contacted the pool supplier in my town, they could order a new Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket for me and I’d have it in two days. The price was just about $90.00 and made of 8ml plastic. Yes! I was pleased. I ordered one right then and there and picked up our Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket two days latter.

Now, if you are not familiar with what a Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket I’ll fill you in.

What does a Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket do?
I live in Connecticut. While a good deal of our summers can be Hazy, Hot & Humid we also have many cooler days when we’d like to go swimming (or have the kids burn off some of that pent up energy) and the pool water is too cool. On a sunny day in August with the temperature topping off at 75 degrees we will find the water temperature dipping into the 60’s. That is too brisk for me - the kids don’t like it either. In order to boost the pool water temperature we use our Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket.

The Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket is basically a large heavy duty “popper plastic”. You know the little plastic packing material that resembles plastic wrap - but has bubbles in it? Well, that is what a solar blanket looks like. It is made of a much heavier plastic, in our case 8ml. You place this on the top of your pool bubble side down. The sun will shine down on the pool and through the little bubbles warming the water. They claim your pool will be 10-15 degrees warmer by using this cover. On hot summer days this is true and we don’t use the cover - after all who really wants to “cool off” in a pool that is 100 degrees? We’ve found on cooler days the cover will help warm the water as much as 8-10 degrees.

Leaving your Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket on your pool over night will help hold the heat in the pool. I will warn you however if you’re the adventurous type who likes to take a late night dip in the pool - this cover is noisy. You won’t want to get caught with your drawers down reeling the Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket in :wink:.

Can my Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket do anything else?

Yes it can! By using a solar blanket you will find your pool water will evaporate less. From the research I have done I have been able to find out using (any) solar blanket you will have up to 95% less evaporation than if you used no cover at all. I was not able to find a documented average for this. We do add less water when we are using the cover and having well water that is very important for us.

Another big savings we found would be we discovered when we used the Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket we have to add less chemicals. Chlorine evaporates and has to be added on a daily basis. You can minimize the addition of chlorine first by being sure you have added a chemical called a stabilizer. Using the Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket I know we have gone from using 15-20 tablets (small) down to 10-12 on most hot sunny days. I specify hot and sunny as our pool is in the direct sunlight up to 12 hours a day during the summer. The more sun and heat the more chlorine we have found we need to add.

One last benefit of using our Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket is it makes cleaning the pool less work. How? We have a lot of trees in our yard. It would be fair to say our pool is within leaf falling distance of fifteen trees. This is not a huge problem during most summers - last year we were close to drought and several trees dropped their leaves by the middle of August. Using the
Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket keeps the leaves from falling directly into the water. If you’re careful when you pull the Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket out of the pool you will not get any leaves in the pool - just brush them off the blanket before you replace it at the end of the day.

This is a great way to accomplish the goals I listed above; Warming the pool, use of less chemicals, use of less water & keeping the pool cleaner.

Using our Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket extends the pool season for our family. I was in the pool just this afternoon with the boys. The air temperature was 72 and the pool was 80. It was a cloudy day today so it was really nice to have the option of warmer water in the pool.

We have a 21’ round pool. We had to purchase a 24’ Round Pool cover and cut to size. Regular scissors cut this with no trouble. The cover is light weight and my oldest son was able to cover and uncover the pool by himself (if necessary) since he was ten. He’s not a large or particularly strong boy so you can imagine it’s really not a challenging task. You can opt to purchase reels too wide the covers up with but we haven’t done so at this point.

In the future we hope to replace this pool with a larger and deeper version. At that time I believe we’ll look into solar panel heating. I am aware however that the combination of solar panels and use of a Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket will all but guarantee a nice warm pool from June-September here in Connecticut.

The down side to using our Cantar Aquacover Solar Blanket is it can be noisy so if you’re trying to work on the pool when the kids are taking a nap - or your neighbors are asleep :wink: it won’t be long before everyone knows you’re in the pool area.

**If you'd like to see how we installed our own above ground pool please check out my epinion...

Digging By Hand? Count On Blisters

How to choose pool & water toys
Wanna Get Wet Wild & Crazy?

Jacuzzi/Cantar Lid Cover, LS70, LS70 T 42299800R - Pool Covers

Jacuzzi/Cantar Lid Cover, LS70, LS70 T 42299800R - Pool Covers

Jacuzzi/Cantar Lid Cover, LS70, LS70 T 42299800R - Jacuzzi/Cantar Lid Cover, LS70, LS70 T - Most orders ship in 3 to 5 business days. - R1

Cantar Swimming Pool Winter Cover 16 X 40 Above Ground Mpn 1640

Cantar Swimming Pool Winter Cover 16 X 40 Above Ground Mpn 1640

A 16 x 40 Oval Above Ground Supreme Winter cover with a 10 yr warranty. All warranties are handled by the manufacturer. Ask questions and we will do o...

Gli Aquacover Winter Cover Estate 1834ov 18'x34' Ft For Oval Above Ground Pool

Gli Aquacover Winter Cover Estate 1834ov 18'x34' Ft For Oval Above Ground Pool

GLI Winter Aquacover Cover Estate 1834OV 18' X 34' FT for Oval Above Ground Pool Brand New!!!This sale transaction is for a GLI AquaCover Model Winter...

Heritage Solar Blanket for 15' Round Pools

Heritage Solar Blanket for 15' Round Pools

Keep your swimming hole warm enough for evening use without worrying about your electricity bill with the Heritage Solar Blanket for 15' Round Pools. ...

Above Ground Pool Solar Blankets 12ft x 12ft

Above Ground Pool Solar Blankets 12ft x 12ft

Above Ground Pool Solar Blankets 12ft x 12ft BlueWarms water 10 or more in seasonMore bubbles, bett
Gli Aquacover Estate 16x32 Feet Oval Solid Winter Above Ground Pool Cover

Gli Aquacover Estate 16x32 Feet Oval Solid Winter Above Ground Pool Cover

Buy With Confidence Professional Service Great Prices Fast Shipping Excellent Feedback Search Our Store GLI Aquacover Estate 16x32 Feet Oval Solid Win...

Gli Aquacover Winter Cover Estate 1224ov 12'x24' Ft For Oval Above Ground Pool

Gli Aquacover Winter Cover Estate 1224ov 12'x24' Ft For Oval Above Ground Pool

GLI Winter Aquacover Cover Estate 1224OV 12' X 24' FT for Oval Above Ground Pool Brand New!!!This sale transaction is for a GLI AquaCover Model Winter...