CardScan Personal V8 Pass-Through Scanner Reviews

CardScan Personal V8 Pass-Through Scanner

Recommend. Recommend. Recommend.

Feb 2, 2007 (Updated Feb 3, 2007)

Pros:Wonderful machine and customer support. Must have for businessmen.

Cons:Expensive. No easy synching with Gmail, Yahoomail...

The Bottom Line: Highly recommend. Easy to use. Must have for people in professions with lots of businesscards.

After losing my cardscan 600 on the road, I was forced to buy the new version. I only have superlatives both for this machine and for Cardscan's corporation's customer support.

Yes. You heard it right. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
TWO THUMBS UP.
As I had written in the past in other places, I joined Epinions, after Dell customer support had wasted hours of my time, and were extremely unhelpful. I've tried to report on other companies that hate customers.
But my experience with CARDSCAN was so great , I just felt it's important to report on that first, as today it's a very important factor for me for choosing a product.

I have only one major complaint about the new 700C cardscan models. They are too expensive. Both this model, and the more expensive 800 models are way over priced.
Don't buy the personal edition. It's a waste of money, as they don't scan in color. Better to buy a used executive version.

I looked on ebay, and even there, the executive models both the 700 and the 800 USED models were selling for more than 70% of their value, which makes it still too expensive. There aren't that many used on the market, and I guess that's why their price is so high.
I bought my cardscan model after bidding on many used ones on ebay for over two month's, and losing to people who paid nearly the price of a new machine. Go figure.
Check the price of refurbished on cardscan.com before bidding on ebay, so that you won't find yourself overpaying for it. It seems some companies are selling refurbished on ebay and getting more than the price on cardscan's own website.

The last three models, including this one, don't use a power cord, and are powered through the USB cable from the computer, so that makes them even more sturdy.

My cardscan fell several times from the table to the floor, and nothing happened to it.

It doesn't seem like the price is drastically coming down on these machines, as CARDSCAN are keeping their prices high even for the old models. I think it's a mistake as it's scaring a lot of potential customers from this wonderful tool. Sometimes they sell refurbished items on their own website, so check that out, as they might have a sale. But even the refurbished prices are too high.

I've had three other older version cardscan machines before this one. They were bigger, and less efficient, but still did the work. I have no idea how someone can live without this device.

Now for the actual machine. The software I have is similar to the 600cx model. It's powered by their Version 7 (V7) software.
It does a great job of keeping all your business cards in a file, and on the web, easily accessed from any computer.
In my profession, I get a lot of business cards, so this machine was a life saver. Very reliable machine, and does the work , almost perfect every time.
For anyone in a business where there are a lot of business card exchanges this is a must have machine.

The software version V7, like the V6 is a huge improvement over the older models they had. Much easier to find cards in their new and refined search option.

Another wonderful thing they have is the cardscan.net.
All the saved scanned cards and info is stored on their server, so even if you're not near your own computer, a person can log on to the .net and retrieve all his info , if he's been diligent in always saving a backup to their .net
It's such a life saver, being somewhere and being able to retrieve any business card.
I've been working with these guys for over five years, so I've seen how their software has also improved drastically, making it a much easier and user friendly experience.
It's so easy to find contacts in their application.
You can find them based on anything. Profession, name, last name, groups ...

The way to operate this machine is very easy. After installing the software, and plugging in the USB, you're ready to go. Scan a card, and it'll appear both as a scanned image and in their software as text. That's it.

That said, this machine isn't for everyone.
It's not cheap, and it does need a little time to learn it.
One needs discipline and making it a habit to scan every card.
Most of the time, it gets all the info right, but from time to time when the fonts aren't easy to read, it makes mistakes, in breaking down the info on the card into it's OUTLOOK like program cardscan.net. . So it's important to check it out and fix those mistakes immediatly.
If one is busy, you can just scan the card into the reader, and not mark the info as being verified. Thus, reminding yourself for a later time to check that the info on the card is accurate to the info on cardscan.net.
Anyways, once the card is scanned, you can see the card next to their program and compare.
But make a habit of comparing once a week, or you'll find yourself after a month or so with hundreds of cards and that becomes frustrating.

But for those who work in a profession where they get lots of cards, on a daily bassis. (I get a minimum of 5-10 daily) This is a must have . That's why my recommendation is MUST HAVE MACHINE.

Interface: USB

The Dymo Personal Executive V8 business card scanner makes for a perfect companion when your are out on business. This compact and portable Dymo Scann...

Product Specifications SKU: ABSB000H1F9IA Technical Details Use drag-and-drop feature to consolidate important business info from email, web sites, an...
Features: Brand Name : CardScan Width : 0.00 inches Height : 0.00 inches Weight : 0.58 Kilograms DYMO CARD SCAN BUSINESS CARD SCANNER, SCANS IN MONOCH...