Carnation Premium Baby Cereal

Carnation Premium Baby Cereal with Formula

Aug 21, 2001

Pros:contains ingredients of formula, easy to mix, convenient package

Cons:price/quantity ratio

The Bottom Line: This product is a fantastic option for babies eating cereal. If the package contained more of the product it would earn a five star rating!

Introduction

I always thought that baby cereal with formula mixed in was a nice idea, but my budget never allowed me to buy it when my first three children were eating infant cereals.

When my fourth child reached the magical age of eating solid foods, our budget had loosened up somewhat and I was able to afford the cereal with formula ingredients.

I was actually introduced to the world of formula cereal through Gerber’s cereals with the ingredients of formula in them. I really liked the available flavors, so they went into my cart.

To be honest, the only reason I decided to purchase the offerings from Nestle Carnation was that I knew it was a listed category on Epinions. I decided that since I needed cereal anyway, I might as well purchase a product I could review.

Why Formula in the Mix?

Nestle Carnation adds what they claim is the right amount of formula to ensure your baby gets a balance of the essential ingredients.

I don’t necessarily buy formula cereals for the “balance” of nutrients. Lets be realistic, I buy it because it is much easier than mixing up formula first and then mixing the cereal. Why not skip a step if you can?

What’s Special About This Cereal?

Not only does this cereal have the ingredients of formula in the mix, but it also has a unique Baby-Gentle Fiber (FOS).

FOS is a soluble fiber source that supports a healthy digestive system in babies. After all, it stands to reason that if adults need fiber to maintain a healthy digestive system then babies would share that need.

Note: There are different flavors of this cereal (single grain, multi-grain, and cereal/fruit combinations), but I have only ever used the rice cereal and it is the only variety available where I shop—Wal-Mart—so my review will be based on this flavor.

Directions

This cereal is incredibly easy to prepare. You simply measure 1/3 cup of the cereal into a bowl and then add 1/3 cup of water (warm) and mix.

This cereal mixes up fairly thick, so if your baby is just beginning solids or simply prefers thinner cereal you can add more water to dilute it.

As with all baby foods, discard uneaten portions after serving to prevent bacteria.

Remember: This cereal already has the ingredients of formula (the equivalent of 2 fluid ounces), so there is no need to use anything but water!

Caution

Some babies are allergic to milk or are lactose intolerant. If you suspect that your baby has one of these problems consult your pediatrician. If your pediatrician confirms these problems, then this cereal is not for you. It is made with milk-based formula.

Also, avoid prolonged storage of this cereal at excessive temperatures, it can alter the formula.

My Experience and Recommendation

I was really pleased with the way this cereal mixes up. With the Gerber line I got a surprise every time I mixed it up. One time it would be thick, the next thin, and the next just right. This cereal mixes up thick, but it’s the same consistency every time. I don’t know how or why this phenomenon happens, but if I can get predictable results I’m a happy person.

I also like the thick consistency that this cereal mixes to. My daughter is 10 months old and well established in the world of sold foods. A nice, thick cereal is much easier to feed than one that runs of the spoon!

For a baby cereal, this actually has a pleasant taste. I normally prefer not to try baby cereals, but a bit spilled on my finger and I did the “mommy thing” and licked it off as opposed to getting up and getting a rag. Not bad at all!

I also like the packaging of this cereal, as it is a canister with a plastic lid. No more boxes with ill-fitting spouts leaking all over my pantry for me!

The only thing I don’t really like about this cereal is that there are only nine servings in a can if you make the 1/3 cup serving size. I would like to see Nestle Carnation come out with a larger package.

Overall, my experience with this cereal has been fantastic, and I would not hesitate to purchase it again.

I would recommend this cereal highly to any parent of a cereal-eating infant. If it fits into your budget (at $2.53 at my local Wal-Mart), it’s well worth your money!

Nutrition Facts

Chloride—75mg
Choline—18mg
Inositol—8.8mg
Linoleic Acid—0.5g

%USRDA for Infants (Children 1-4)
Protein—25% (22%)
Magnesium—15% (4%)
Zinc—50% (30%)
Copper—15% (8%)

Ingredients
Hydrolyzed Rice, Nonfat Milk, Rice Flour, Vegetable Oils (Palm Olein, Soybean, coconut), Fructooligosaccharides Fiber (NutraFlora FOS), Milkfat, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Soy Lecithin, Vitamins (Sodium Ascorbate, Inositol, Niacinamide, Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3, Phylloquinone, Vitamin B12)

Gerber Rice Single Grain Cereal For Baby 8 Oz

Gerber Rice Single Grain Cereal For Baby 8 Oz

Gerber Rice Single Grain Cereal for Baby Auction is for one 8 oz package Excellent Source of Iron Good Source of 6 B vitamins ************************...

Baby Doll Bedding Carnation Eyelet Child Rocking Chair Cushion Pad Set White

Baby Doll Bedding Carnation Eyelet Child Rocking Chair Cushion Pad Set White

The Lotoons Store NEW Baby Doll Bedding Carnation Eyelet Child Rocking Chair Cushion Pad Set White 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR ...

Gerber Baby Cereal Organic Oatmeal 8 Ounce

Gerber Baby Cereal Organic Oatmeal 8 Ounce

NEW Gerber Baby Cereal Organic Oatmeal 8 Ounce 1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE ARE NOW SHIPPING WORLDWIDE $24.79 $3...

Happy Baby HappyBellies Organic Baby Cereal Oatmeal -- 7 oz

Happy Baby HappyBellies Organic Baby Cereal Oatmeal -- 7 oz

HAPPYBELLIES is the FIRST baby cereal with prebiotic + probiotic to support immune function. It is also the only organic cereal which has Choline to h...
Vitacost.com

Happy Baby Happy Bellies Multigrain Cereal 7 oz (198 g) 6 Pack

Happy Baby Happy Bellies Multigrain Cereal 7 oz (198 g) 6 Pack

dha & choline pre & probiotics usda organic kosher bpa soy & dairy happy bellies multigrain baby cereal is perfect for babies who are ready to...
MyNaturalMarket.com

Baby Doll Bedding Carnation Eyelet Adult Rocking Chair Cushion Pad Set Ecru

Baby Doll Bedding Carnation Eyelet Adult Rocking Chair Cushion Pad Set Ecru

We Guarantee - Great buys, Fast shipping, value for your money! NEW Baby Doll Bedding Carnation Eyelet Adult Rocking Chair Cushion Pad Set Ecru - Bran...

Happy Baby: Happybellies Oatmeal Baby Cereal, 7 oz (6 pack)

Happy Baby: Happybellies Oatmeal Baby Cereal, 7 oz (6 pack)

Our Happy Bellies are the perfect first solid foods for your baby. They are the first baby cereals with prebiotic + probiotic immune support and the o...
HappyBellies Organic Brown Rice Baby Cereal (7 oz) by Happy Baby

HappyBellies Organic Brown Rice Baby Cereal (7 oz) by Happy Baby

The Perfect First Solid Food for Baby DHA + Probiotic Immunity Support DHA for EYE and Brain Development Vitamin + Mineral Fortified Dr. Sears Rec...
4AllVitamins