Celestial Seasonings Tea Sleepytime Extra With Valerian Reviews

Celestial Seasonings Tea Sleepytime Extra With Valerian

You're Getting Very Sleeeeepy

Jul 11, 2008 (Updated Jul 11, 2008)

Pros:Relaxes you and prepares you for sleep

Cons:Aftertaste

The Bottom Line: I drink Sleepytime Tea Extra for those nights I just can't fall asleep. It's no miracle but it does relax me.

At least three to four times a week I make myself a cup of Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Tea with Valerian. I use to just drink the regular Sleepytime Tea until my sister told me about Sleepytime Extra. The nights I usually drink a cup are those that I just can't find myself getting tired and it just keeps getting later and later.

I boil water in my teapot, place the bag in my cup, add two Splenda packets in my cup and pour the water in when it's done. I keep the tea bag in the cup the entire time I am drinking the tea.

I have found that personally for me, the Valerian does work. It isn't like an instant feeling that you just get tired but the tea does provide a calming effect that does make you more relaxed and thus makes you sleepy. My husband works nights and sometimes when he gets home he has a cup to unwind. At first he was able to just drink one cup and he would get tired but now he needs at last two. Perhaps you can develop a tolerance to the Valerian much like other things you can develop tolerances to when having it consistently.

Upon looking it up on www.wikipedia.org, it says that Valerian is prescribed for insomnia. It is for restlessness and anxiety and a muscle relaxer as well. The Valerian root is non-toxic however you can have side effects from too much use. An interesting fact about Valerian is that it has the same properties as catnip does with cats. It actually says this by the opening of the box "Valerian makes many cats frisky-exactly the opposite of its effect on humans."

The box that the tea comes in has a bear dressed in his night clothes looking very comfortable and relaxed in his rocking chair. Next to him are a radio and a table with a teapot, a cup of tea, and some type of desert. One particular I like about Celestial Seasonings teas in general is that there are clever sayings on the boxes that make you think and ponder what the quote is about.

There are 20 tea bags in the box however they do not contain strings like other tea bags do. They are actually what resembles little sachets of tea. You can see inside the bag and if you smell it the scent is that of herbs. The strongest scent to me is that of spearmint. For some reason the regular Sleepytime Tea smells stronger of these herbs however than the Sleepytime Extra brand.

The tea bags are enclosed in a white paper like filter enclosed in the box. There is some type of sticky seal around the paper that you can fold down and seal to keep the tea fresh.

There is a warning on the box that states this product is for adults only and if you are taking prescription medications to consult a doctor before use. It also states that those who are allergic to the daisy family may be sensitive to chamomile. The last warning says not to drive a vehicle after use of the tea. I may just be a worry wart but when I was taking my medication for my wisdom teeth that were pulled I went to drink a cup of the tea and saw that warning and didn't drink it. I suppose the Valerian is strong enough to interact with some medications and I didn't want to take a chance.

After being brewed the tea remains a very light brownish color. The tea bag actually puffs up a bit rather than staying flat like how the original shape is. The taste is really not that strong and at first my husband thought he wouldn't like it because of the minty scent of it but he didn't taste it while drinking it enough to bother him. I taste more of the chamomile than anything else. I'm not one for strong tasting teas and to me this one is very mild and soothing.

The only negative for me is that there is an aftertaste that almost reminds me of the feeling I have in my mouth after I drink coffee, like I want to use a mint or something.

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 tea bag, Makes 8 fl. oz.

Amount Per Serving:

Chamomile 600mg
Tilia estrella 160mg
Valerian 25mg

Other Ingredients: Spearmint, West Indian Lemongrass, Hawthorn Berries and Orange Blossoms

This tea is caffeine free of course and is also gluten free. The box also contains and expiration date. I believe I paid around $3.00-$4.00 for the 20 count box.

www.celestialseasonings.com
1-800-351-8175
The Hain Celestial Group, Inc.
4600 Sleepytime Drive
Boulder, CO 80301-3292

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Herbal Tea 6 Boxes

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Herbal Tea 6 Boxes

bestdentaldeals store Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra herbal tea 100% Natural Teas Calorie free Caffeine Free Gluten Free With each order you wi...

Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Extra Wellness Tea Caffeine Free - 20 Tea Bags

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Wellness Tea 20 Tea Bags Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Wellness Tea, because nothing promotes physical a...
LuckyVitamin.com

Celestial Seasonings Wellness Tea - Sleepytime Extra - Caffeine Free - 20 Bags (Pack of 6)

Herbal Supplement 100% Natural Teas Promotes Relaxation With Calming Valerian Classic Sleeptime Flavor Naturally Caffeine Free Kosher Gluten Free Our ...
Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Herbal Tea 3 Boxes

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Herbal Tea 3 Boxes

bestdentaldeals Store Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra herbal tea 100% Natural Teas Calorie free Caffeine Free Gluten Free With each order you wi...

Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Echinacea Complete Care Tea Caffeine Free - 20 Tea Bags Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Echinacea Complete Care Te...

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Herbal Tea 1 Box

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra Herbal Tea 1 Box

Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Sinus Soother Wellness Tea - 20 Tea Bags

Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Sinus Soother Wellness Tea - 20 Tea Bags

Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Sinus Soother Wellness Tea - 20 Tea Bags Seasonal respiratory discomforts like nasal congestion and sinus pressure h...

Sleepytime Peach Herbal Tea (1 Box) by Celestial Seasonings

Sleepytime Peach Herbal Tea (1 Box) by Celestial Seasonings

Sleepytime Peach Herbal Tea adds the delightful aroma and just-picked flavor of ripe yellow peaches to our beloved Sleepytime blend of comforting her...
4AllVitamins