Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ 130mm f/5 Newtonian Telescope Reviews

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ 130mm f/5 Newtonian Telescope

Free Shipping Newegg.com

Versatile. Good mirror. Fun, useful, not perfect.

Dec 3, 2008
Rated Show

Pros:Good mirror, light weight, smooth focusser, sturdy mount, accesory tray built-in, very attractive unit.

Cons:Supplied finder next to useless, Eq mount somewhat clumsy in use.  Eyepieces mediocre.

I bought this scope because the 80mm lens of my achromatic refractor was severely limiting my deep-sky interests.
I'm happy to say the (F5) mirror has a good parabolic surface, and gives nice views up to 75X, and reasonable to 110X - but don't buy this if your primary interest is the moon and planets.  The 10mm eyepiece is apparently a PL design and just adequate.  I found the supplied 20mm "correct image" eyepiece unaccountably dim, perhaps due to the extra lens elements required.  This scope is much improved by upgraded eyepieces,
The mount is sturdy, but an Alt-Az would have been handier to use than the Eq.  I elected to remove the tube rings and re-mount them on an Orion heavy-duty Alt-Az mount.  Not only did this make it lighter overall, but it is much easier to use.  (Even a heavy-duty camera tripod should work at lower powers).
Supplied "finder" of limited use, get a Rigel Quickfinder or similar.
Internet price varies widely.  Shop around.

Type Telescopes Specifications Optical Design Newtonian Reflector Aperture (mm) 130 mm (5.12 in) Focal Length 650 mm (26 in) Focal Ratio 5 Focal Lengt...
Newegg.com