Central Pneumatic 67847 2.5 HP, 21 Gallon, 120 Volt 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor Reviews

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Central Pneumatic 21-Gallon 2.5-HP Air Compressor

Jul 29, 2011

Pros:Excellent Air Capacity! Strong Motor! Very Versatile! Well Built!

Cons:Manufacture Defect/Drain Air Leak! Could Use Better Packing!

The Bottom Line: If you need to use air ratchets, impact wrenches, paint sprayers, sand blasters, this is the compressor to go with. Its also your best bang for buck unit!

8-Years ago, I bought my first air compressor. It was a Central Pneumatic, and won it from an Ebay online auction. Though it was only a 6.5-gallon air compressor, it provided services well for its entire life span. Towards the end, it didn’t want to hold air pressure anymore, wouldn’t turn off, and dumped all its oil onto the floor.

Once my old air compressor went over the edge of the precipice, I knew that it was over. Going to the edge of the abyss and back again, I have learned a lot about these things. While my old air compressor provided plenty of air to use a blow gun tool, or tire inflator, it didn’t however, provide enough air for motorized tools, such as a air ratchet, or impact wrench.

Many people make the mistake thinking that PSI (Pressure Per Square Inch) is the deciding factor, when it is not. PSI is simply the speed of air pressure, the same that volts are the speed of electrical current. What you really want to pay attention to is CFM. (Cubic Feet Per Minute) CFM refers to the volume or amount of air capacity that you have, the same that AMPS refers to the amount of electricity you have.

Since I operate a small engine repair business, it was important for me to chose an air compressor, that had a much higher CFM rating. That’s when I chose the Central Pneumatic 21-gallon air compressor, for both its features, and affordability! In this review, I will explain the positives and negatives of this air compressor.

FEATURES: “Heavy duty 2.5 HP rated motor” “Long-life oil lubricated compressor with precision machined cast-iron sleeve” “Single capacitor motor with thermal overload protection” “Wheel kit with 6" wheels and ergonomic handle for smooth portability” “Oil level indicator window for easy maintenance” “Reduced vibration with rubber foot stabilizers” “120 volt, 60 Hz” “5.8 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 SCFM @ 90 PSI”

PACKAGING: I bought this from Harbor Freight, some of their tools are cheap, while others are pretty standard. I felt that for the price, I could not go wrong. I felt that the packaging was adequate, however, could be improved. The air compressor is placed inside a cardboard sleeve, which is encased in a box. Both the top and bottom portions of the box, have foam to protect the unit, however, there was nothing on the sides to protect it.

ASSEMBLY: Assembly of the unit was pretty straight forward. Most people have a socket wrench set, however, most people do not have a allen wrench set. Please be sure to pickup one of these, as you will need it, to install the handle assembly. Thankfully, the wheels are installed with a simple socket wrench with a 1/2” socket.

Because I read previous reviews on the unit, I was already aware of the leaky drain valve. This is because the unit uses a proprietary design, which was not properly installed. Using a deep socket, please remove the drain assembly. Wrap 3-strands of Teflon tape onto the treads, and then reinstall the drain assembly. I did this, and I have no air leak.

FIRST RUN: FYI, this unit requires oil, people have run their new air compressor’s without oil without realizing, and caused catastrophic damage to their units! Make sure the air compressor is on its feet, on a flat surface, preferably a level cement floor. Fill the oil to the middle of the sight glass, and then wait 2-minutes for the oil to go through the inner parts of the compressor.

Check the sight glass again, most likely it dropped a tiny bit, fill it back up slowly to the middle and then reinstall the oil plug. Open the drain valve to maximum, and stick a male coupler into the female quick connect, and turn on the air compressor. You must run this air compressor for 30-minutes to achieve the break in.

Once the compressor is broken in, shut it off, and allow it to cool. Remove the Phillips head screw towards the bottom, it is the oil drain plug. Drain the oil and then reinstall the Phillips head drain screw. Repeat the oil installation process, then close the drain valve, and remove the mail coupler from the female quick connect. Install your air hose and turn on the air compressor.

If you have done everything right, you should be seeing your air compressor, pressurizing. Once it automatically stopped, I looked at the gauge, and saw it stopped right on 120-PSI, exactly where it should. The seals are well made, as it never lost any pressure, even when not used for an entire day!

AIR REGULATOR: Keep in mind, this unit comes with an air regulator. It is an oval shaped object, black in color, just behind the output pressure gauge. For most air tools, this must be set to 90-PSI, as to not damage the tools. If using a low pressure paint sprayer, reduce the pressure via the air regulator, to 60-PSI.

AIR TOOLS: Air tools, such as an impact wrench, generally use about 5.6-CFM at 90-PSI. Air ratchets, typically use around 4.5-CFM at 90-PSI. I performed a test with my new air compressor, to see how long the air would last before the motor, needed to kick back on. I was able to hold the trigger on my impact wrench for 15-seconds before the motor kicked on, and I could hold the trigger indefinitely with my air ratchet!

My old air compressor would only last 3-seconds with an impact wrench, and 6-seconds with an air ratchet! I also have a sparkplug sand blaster, which uses a ton of air! I always had to stop and wait for my old air compressor to catch up, so I could give the plug another blast. I can achieve a sparkplug cleaning in one single blast now! And of course, my new air compressor, has no problems with simple tools like blowguns and tire inflators.

COMPRESSOR: The compressor is mostly made of metal, seems to have strong welds, with only a few things made of plastic. The compressor has a huge electrical cord coming out of it, which requires 15-AMPS continuous and 18-AMPS peek, from your circuit breaker. This means, if you are running on the old 15-AMP standard, the compressor will trip your breaker every time!

Before purchasing, please make sure your electrical system is running on the 20-AMP minimum standard. If you are planning to use this air compressor with an extension cord, please limit it to 25-feet of 14-gauge or larger extension cord.

MOTOR: The motor is very loud, I thought my old air compressor was loud! This Central Pneumatic air compressor runs at between 80 to 90 decibels, that’s as loud as a lawn mower! I couldn’t run it without wearing hearing protection, which you should be wearing anyways, while operating air equipment.

I have timed the unit, and it seems to take 5-minutes to fully compress the tank from being empty. If the tank was already full and the motor kicks on, it seems to only take 1-minute to get it back, to the optimum pressure of 120-PSI.

CONCLUSION: I have been very happy with my new air compressor! It handles all the tools that I need to use with ease, and doesn’t cause me to slow down and wait all the time, like my old compressor did. I wouldn’t recommend this compressor for just filling tires, or using an occasional blowgun tool, a 6.5-gallon is plenty! However, if you need to use air ratchets, impact wrenches, paint sprayers, sand blasters, this is the compressor to go with. I give this unit 4 out of 5.

NOTE: Thanks goes to Dawn, for adding this product, to the database!

Central Pneumatic 1-1/2 Gallon Texture Spray Gun

Central Pneumatic 1-1/2 Gallon Texture Spray Gun

Product Overview Description This texture paint spray gun is designed for spraying heavy, viscous materials like orange peel, knockdown and popcorn in...

Central Pneumatic 25 Ft. X 1/4 Coiled Polyurethane Air Hose

Central Pneumatic 25 Ft. X 1/4 Coiled Polyurethane Air Hose

Central Pneumatic 25 Ft. X 1/4 Coiled Polyurethane Air Hose Features Heavy duty polyurethane resists abrasion and corrosion Oil resistant Lightweight ...

Central Pneumatic High Speed Metal Saw With Blades In Box

Central Pneumatic High Speed Metal Saw With Blades In Box

Central Pneumatic h s metal saw Central Pneumatic High Speed Metal Saw ~ New in Box With 5 New Blades You are buying a New in Box Central Pneumatic hi...

Chicago Pneumatic Reciprocating Air Compressor - 2 HP, 20 Gallon, 115/230 Volt, 1-Phase, Model RCP220P

The Chicago Pneumatic air compressor is ready to run just hook up to electricity and get started. Built for professionals, each compressor is 100 fact...
Northern Tool

Central Pneumatic 20 Oz. Gravity Spray Gun

Central Pneumatic 20 Oz. Gravity Spray Gun

NEW CENTRAL PNEUMATIC PROFESIONAL 20 OZ. SPRAY GUN ADJUSTABLE FAN PATTERN CONTROLL AIR CONSUMPTION 6 CFM NOZZEL SIZE 1.4MM OUT 200-300 CCS PER MINUTE ...

Central Pneumatic Air File

Central Pneumatic Air File

Product Overview Description Clear away material quickly or file in tight spots with this Central Pneumatic file. The pneumatic file comes with flat c...

Central Pneumatic 3/8 Reversible Air Drill

Central Pneumatic 3/8 Reversible Air Drill

Central Pneumatic 3/8 reversible air drill. New never used.

Chicago Pneumatic Reciprocating Air Compressor - 2 HP, 26 Gallon, 115/230 Volt, 1-Phase, Model RCP226VP

Northern Tool