Chaney Instrument Co. 02001

1 consumer review

Acu-Rite Weather Station 02001 - Is it me, or is it really hot in here??

Jul 22, 2010 (Updated May 25, 2013)

Pros:Accurate, easy to use, easy to read.

Cons:Some minor ones that are hardly worth mentioning.

The Bottom Line: I love knowing the weather conditions at a glance. Especially the outdoor humidity and the forecast.

Living in South Florida, we know that it's going to be warm or hot, nearly every single day.  But we like knowing the exact temperature, as well as the humidity.  After all, a 90 degree day feels very different when there's 40% humidity, than when there's 90% humidity.   We also like knowing the temperature inside the house.  In particular, I always seem to be asking "Is it me, or is it really hot in here?".  Now I can find out the answer!

So we use the Acu-Rite Weather Station Model 02001.  This is a handy little gadget that tells us, at a glance, the weather conditions both inside and outside.  How does it work?  Well, there's a small sensor that you place outside, out of direct sunlight.  Every 30 seconds or so, it beams temperature, humidity, and future forecast information to the receiver, which sits inside the house, and takes its own readings.

The receiver also contains a nice-sized screen which displays all of the information.  The screen is separated into four sections.  The top section shows the outdoor temperature and humidity, as well as the day's high and low temperatures.  The next section of the screen shows your predicted forecast.  Using picture symbols, you can see if the next 12 to 24 hours are expected to be clear, cloudy, rainy, or snowy.  Not that I've ever actually seen the "snowy" picture down here, but I assume it's available.   The third section of the screen shows your indoor temperature and humidity.  And the bottom section shows the date and time.  As this is an atomic clock, the time adjusts itself and remains accurate.

There's a button on the front of the receiver that causes the screen's blue backlight to illuminate.  This makes the screen easily visible in low-light conditions.  Our old system didn't have a backlight, and that made it virtually impossible to read the screen in dim light.  When it came time to shop for a new system, we made sure it had a backlight.

There are only three other buttons on this unit.  A "set" button, and two arrows - one for up, one for down.  In other words, it's extremely simple to configure this unit.  Simply press "set" and some field will blink on the screen.  For example, the setting to choose to display temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius.  Use the up/down arrows to set your preference, then hit "set" again, and you can set the proper month and day.  In this manner, it's a simple matter to set up the system for first-time use, or if your batteries should die out, causing you to lose your settings.

Speaking of batteries, you'll need 5 AA batteries - 3 in the receiver and 2 in the sensor.  The battery cover on the sensor is held on with 4 small screws, whereas the one on the receiver simply pops in and out by pressing a tab.  I suppose the outdoor one uses screws in order to provide a more leak-proof method of sealing the batteries.  It's a pain to have to grab a screwdriver every time I need to change the batteries, but if it keeps the unit working correctly, I suppose it's worth it.

And the unit does work correctly, and accurately.  We've had ours for several months, and it's never let us down.  It always appears to give us accurate readings, and the time is always perfect.

It's also an attractive unit.  With its gray and silver tones, the 6" x 4" receiver fits right in with my kitchen décor.  The stand swivels to any angle for easy viewing, or you can hang it on the wall.

There are only a few things I wish were different, and they're quite minor.  There are no decimal places on the temperatures.  My old unit showed a decimal place, and I liked knowing if it was exactly 86 degrees out or 86.9.  I suppose, in the end, the extra bit of information doesn't really make a huge difference, but I liked it, anyway.  I also liked the "trend" feature of my old unit.  Where it showed an arrow slanted up, slanted down, or straight across to indicate which way the temperature was headed.  In particular, when it's 96 degrees outside, I prefer to know if it's going to get even hotter, or if might be starting to cool down just a bit.

Overall, we love our weather station and use it several times a day.  There are many Acu-Rite models available.  Some have fewer features; some have additional features, such as wind speed.  But for us, this model meets our needs perfectly!

The Oregon Scientific Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer

AcuRite 01099

Chaney Instrument Co Digital Thermometer w/ Humidity Gauge & Clock Multicolor - 00891A2

Shop for Thermometers from Hayneedle.com! About Chaney Instrument CompanyFounded in 1943 Chaney Instrument Company is an internationally known name in...

Chaney Instrument Co Acu-Rite Tahoe Weather Station Multicolor - 01523

Shop for Weather Instruments from Hayneedle.com! Mounts to any wall Designed for indoor use Uses 1 AA battery (not included) About ChaneyHeadquartered...

Hayneedle

Chaney Instrument Co Acu-Rite Professional Digital Weather Station Multicolor - 01015A1

Shop for Weather Instruments from Hayneedle.com! Weather the day with confidence with your own weather and weather prediction information pinpoint acc...

Hayneedle

Chaney Instrument Co Acu-Rite 8 Inch Digital Weather Station with Forecast Multicolor - 75077A1

Hayneedle

Chaney Instrument Co Acu-Rite 6 inch Digital Weather Station with Forecast Multicolor - 00621A1

Hayneedle

Chaney Instrument Co Acu-Rite 6 Inch Digital Weather Station with Forecasting Multicolor - 02001A1

Shop for Thermometers from Hayneedle.com! Weather the day with confidence with your own weather and weather prediction information pinpoint accuracy r...