Chef'n The Pepper Ball Reviews

Chef'n The Pepper Ball

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder Rubs Pepper Corns the Right Way

Sep 26, 2002 (Updated Aug 2, 2012)

Pros:The attraction here is one-handed operation, see-through ball, dial-up grind settings

Cons:It's dead, now, so the cons are clear.

The Bottom Line: It won't last long.  Spend a little more on something else. For use in cooking, this pepper grinder lets you grind fresh pepper with one hand .

August 2012 -- UPDATE:  This product died four years ago.  It's demise ushered in a Peugeot Paris 9-in. Pepper Mill.  Skip the plastic, go for the Peugeot.

I have my Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder here, ready for a workout. Let me put a challenge to you. Pick up your pepper grinder and get ready, this is going to be good.

The goal is to grind your "to taste" amount of pepper into a pot/panful of simmering ________ (your favorite dish requiring ground pepper) and stirring it in until blended.

Ready? One . . . two . . . three . . . GRIND! Tick -- tick -- tick --

I'm done.

Sorry. You kind of knew you didn't stand a chance there, didn't you?

The Chef'n The Pepper Ball allows for this sort of "Kitchen Olympics" events, or for plain old pepper grinding that isn't really plain at all.

Just What Is the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder?

At a glance, the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder is a round, clear plastic ball (about 3 inches in diameter) with a flat bottom. Black plastic handles that look a lot like bunny ears protrude from the top (each about 3 inches long). One of the handles is stationary while the other can be pulled inward toward it.

Other "moving parts" include the sliding "door" on one side that allows a person to easily fill the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder. You open the door by holding the grinder horizontally and firmly pushing the edge that rests on the bottom of the grinder toward the center of the base -- easy to open, but won't fall open on its own. No way, no how.

Additionally, you'll find a grinder "dial" on the base. It's embossed with geometric "arrows" that indicate coarse grind (the wide end of the arrow) and fine grind (the smaller end, obviously).

It's All in the Corns

You may use whatever ripeness/variety of peppercorn you choose, but the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder comes standard with black peppercorns. This is my pepper of choice, but you may prefer another variety or a "mix".

The Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder holds roughly 1/2 cup of peppercorns. The clear ball allows an easy glimpse of what's inside, so you'll never be surprised to find it empty.

I own two other pepper grinders, one in the shape of an apple (I collect apple "stuff"), and the other, a replica of a tiny coffee grinder. Both require the opening of a compartment to see whether or not they need a refill. I have them because I like the way they look. The Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder is less a decorating choice and more a convenience. That's what counts when you're cooking.

Save the beautiful or theme-oriented pepper mills for the serving table. The Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder will remain on duty range-side.

Ready, Set . . . GRIND!

Take the Chef'n The Pepper Ball in one hand -- which is all you'll ever need for basic use, and have a crack at it. You can keep the other hand free to stir, hold the handle of a pan or pot, or put it in your pocket to give yourself a laid-back look, if you so desire.

Previous to owning the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder, I often turned to my trusty pepper shaker when cooking in order to avoid using both hands just to grind pepper. Lazy? Not really, just often pressed for time and those few seconds often make a difference in a sauce or stew . . . not to mention the time to check on the kids in the next room.

Freshly-ground pepper makes the commercially-ground stuff pale in comparison (not to mention you never really know what's in that already-ground pepper), and you can gauge more easily how much you use. Now that the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder sits atop my range, I use no substitutes for cooking. The old pepper shaker is in the cupboard waiting for who knows what.

Cleaning is a Snap

You'll find that the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder picks up grease and grime from your stove top, if that's where you keep it, as well as residue from handling. You may easily wipe the outside of the grinder and handles with a damp cloth -- that's really the only cleaning you need to do.

I don't recommend emptying the peppercorn compartment and washing the inside of the grinder, as I doubt you'll ever get it completely dry. This could cause the grinder to bind and/or clog. Likewise, the base of the grinder should have only a damp cloth cleaning and a good drying to keep moisture away from parts that come in contact with ground pepper.

Versatility and the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder

Use the Chef'n The Pepper Ball at the table during mealtime if you wish. Children can use it easily, as my almost-four-year old daughter has shown . . . though she doesn't like those "black specks" herself!

Take the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder out to the grill with you for seasoning those steaks. It's not weather-proof, so don't forget to bring it back inside when you're finished -- plus, you may need it at the table for a little extra seasoning in another dish.

Go Forth and Grind

The Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder, unlike some grinders you may have used, requires little effort to pull the grinding handle inward. The grinding mechanism doesn't get hung up on the peppercorns as I've experienced with my "crank" grinders, or even "twisting" models. You use less pressure than you would in a firm handshake.

On the "coarse" setting you'll come away with small pieces of peppercorn, the largest being about the size of the head of a pin. Down at the "fine" setting, you'll get "specks" of peppercorn. The only drawback to some cooks is that the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder does not allow for "cracked" pepper, or large pieces of peppercorn that you might like for pepper-crusted meats or marinades.

Who doesn't need an extra hand in the kitchen? With the Chef 'n the Pepper Ball Grinder, you can have one . . . if only for the time it takes to grind the pepper.

Chef'n Pepper Ball, Clear

Chef'n Pepper Ball, Clear

The Chef n PepperBall makes easy work of grinding fresh black pepper. It features 5 levels of coarseness, and lets you grind pepper with one hand. The...
CHEF N Chef'n Pepper Ball Grinder

CHEF N Chef'n Pepper Ball Grinder

Get that delicious fresh-ground pepper taste you love at home with this one-handed grinder from Chef'n. one-handed designadjustable grind mechanismeas...
JCPenney

Chef'n Vibe Pepper Mill Ball

Chef'n Vibe Pepper Mill Ball

Find salt and pepper sets at Target.com! Get cracking with this one-handed pepper mill. Simply squeeze the soft grip handles in your palm to grind the...

Chefn Black Magnetic Salt and Pepper Mill Ball

Chefn Black Magnetic Salt and Pepper Mill Ball

Ingenious design makes for easy one-handed use. Magnetic backing enables you to keep within easy reach at all times. Ball is simple to refill and feat...

Chef N 101-033-001 Mini Magnetic Salt & Pepper Set

Chef N 101-033-001 Mini Magnetic Salt & Pepper Set

Highlights: Squeeze handle to grind - season to taste One handed design Strong magnets on back for convenient storage Easy to fill , Filled with fresh...

Chef'n Mini Magnetic Pepperball Saltball Set Of 2 Salt Pepper Grinder Mill

Chef'n Mini Magnetic Pepperball Saltball Set Of 2 Salt Pepper Grinder Mill

Store Home About Us Policies Shipping Chef'n Mini Magnetic Pepperball Saltball Set of 2 Salt Pepper Grinder Mill Our Price: $14.95 One Mini Magnetic P...

CHEF'N MINI MAGNETIC SALT AND PEPPER SET -Mfg# 101-033-001 - Sold As 3 Units

CHEF'N MINI MAGNETIC SALT AND PEPPER SET -Mfg# 101-033-001 - Sold As 3 Units

Squeeze handle to grind - season to taste. One handed design. Strong magnets on back for convenient storage. Easy to fill. Filled with fresh peppercor...
Chefn Mini Salt & Pepper Balls, Red

Chefn Mini Salt & Pepper Balls, Red

Easy one-handed grinding and five coarseness settings. Pepper: metal grinder. Salt: non-corrosive ceramic grinder. Includes salt, pepper, funnel and r...

Chefn Mini Salt & Pepper Balls, Green