Chicago Pneumatic CP7750 1/2" Extreme Duty Air Impact Wrench (015451528249) Reviews

Chicago Pneumatic CP7750 1/2" Extreme Duty Air Impact Wrench (015451528249)

Plenty of Torque (If You Need It)!

Jan 20, 2010 (Updated Jan 20, 2010)

Pros:Heavy duty, lots of torque

Cons:Way over-priced

The Bottom Line:

Always ask for free shipping!

I picked this impact wrench up from an Ebay auction.  I paid just about $40 with shipping for it.  It was a "refurbished special".  When I got it, I put it to immediate use.  I had an old tractor with rusted on nuts and bolts that needed to be removed.  I got my compressor ready and hooked up the wrench to my air hose.  It revved right up!  "Rvvvvvvv".  However, when I put the wrench to the bolt, it did nothing.  Huh?  This wrench was advertised to be the most powerful 1/2" impact wrench on the planet with 800 ft. lbs of honest torque.  Yet, it couldn't even remove a nut?  I tried cranking up the air consumption from 7.6 cfm to 9.  That did the trick!  It made simple work of removing all the nuts and bolts.  However, the air compressor did have to catch up with the tool.

I had also tested the wrench on other nuts and bolts and I played around with the cfm valve on my compressor.  On my Campbell Hausfield portable contractor compressor, this tool will work at 9 cfm or above.  I have also tried using the air compressor in my shop, which is a much more heavy duty compressor, and it also only worked at 9 cfm or above, although this compressor kept up with the tool much better.

The tool is constructed of mostly heavy steel.  It does have some plastic parts on it, such as the handle grip, and trigger mechanism.  It seems like it is built for heavy use, although I must confess I do not use it all too often.  I have dropped it a few times (it is rather bulky...).  I also have tossed it in a tub with all of my other seldom used air wrenches and other miscellaneous air compressor tools.  It has not suffered any harm whatsoever.

The tool is pretty simple to use.  I put hose connectors on all of my air compressor operated tools, this way when I need to use it, I simply push it into the connector on the hose and I am ready to go.  It accepts a standard 1/4" connector.  There are two knobs, one on either side of the handle.  The one on the left side controls the air flow.  The tool will operate in either forward or reverse.  To move forward, press the the knob on the right in.  To move to reverse, push the knob on the left in.

You may put any 1/2" ratchet wrench bit on the spinning head of this tool, although high torque impact wrenches are recommended.  To change bits, simply pull off the existing bit and press a new one on in place.  There is a small spring loaded steel ball over the head that keeps the bit in place.

I've used the wrench mostly to remove rusted on bolts and nuts, but also for some assembly projects.  The tool is rather bulky and needs to be held with both hands, unlike some of my other air wrenches.  This is no big deal because the extra torque requires some push back on the tool.

The one big drawback of this tool is the incredibly expensive price.  Almost $300 for a tool that is made in China!  No way Jose!  You can get a comprable air wrench at Harbor Freight Tools for a lot less then those vendors listed with Epinions.  (Take a look at their similar Earthquake wrench made by the same company, with slightly less torque, but costing only $99).  Why would you need 800 ft lbs of torque anyway?  Anything requiring that much torque will probably sheer off anyway....  You would need a lot of strength to hold the tool steady too.  This is just my opinion, as I certainly have not come across anything requiring that much torque.  But, then again, I am a casual user of this equipment.  Maybe a mechanic might have  special needs.

As for sound and vibration, both of these are pretty much typical of any wrench.  It is certainly not much quieter or noisier than my other air wrenches.  It does make that cool whirring noise you might hear in a tire shop.

As for maintenance, you simply need to keep the tool clean and the motor oiled.  I generally blow off the tool with the air compressor when I am finished using it.  With all of my air tools, I put in a few drops of compressor oil in the air inlet prior to using to keep the internal parts well lubricated.

Overall, if you could find one of these wrenches at a reasonable price, like I did, I would recommend this wrench.  If not, there are plenty of other comparable wrenches available that are a lot less expensive and that will work equally well.  Don't go to Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot and expect to find Chicago Pneumatic tools.  This is a Chinese imported tool.  Harbor Freight or Northern Tools might carry it.  I have bought several Chicago Pneumatic tools from Harbor Freight in the past, and generally the quality is pretty good.  Thanks for reading my review and best wishes for a nice day!

Mike

Chicago Pneumatic Cp7750- 1/2 Drive Air Impact Wrench 800 Ft-lbs

Chicago Pneumatic Cp7750- 1/2 Drive Air Impact Wrench 800 Ft-lbs

CHICAGO PNEUMATIC CP7750- 1/2 DRIVE AIR IMPACT WRENCH 800 FT-LBS 1/2 impact wrench with 800 ft./lbs. of Real torque. Now with 31% less air consumption...

Chicago Pneumatic CP7750-2 1/2-Inch Drive CP Turbo Air Impact Wrench with 2-Inch Extended Anvil

Chicago Pneumatic Cp714 Heavy-duty Air Hammer

ABN Listing Need Help? Call us at(888)431-9139 3M MILKWAUKEE DEWALT IRWIN ABN DURABLOCK KD GEARWRENCH Chicago Pneumatic CP714 Heavy-Duty Air Hammer I ...

Chicago-pneumatic Cp796 796 1 Dr. Extreme-duty Air Impact Wrench

Chicago-pneumatic Cp796 796 1 Dr. Extreme-duty Air Impact Wrench

CP796 1 Dr. Extreme-Duty Air Impact Wrench Features 1 Extreme duty impact wrench 2 jaw clutch Very high torque: 2000 ft-lbs (2712 Nm) Compact housing ...
Chicago Pneumatic - (CP 714) Heavy-Duty Air Hammer # 714, Air Hammers

Chicago Pneumatic - (CP 714) Heavy-Duty Air Hammer # 714, Air Hammers

Most controllable CP Hammer available Ideal for complete body shop work Positive action trigger for precise control over speed range Versatile-handle...
ToolTopia.com

Chicago Pneumatic Cp-714 Heavy Duty Pneumatic Hammer

Chicago Pneumatic Cp-714 Heavy Duty Pneumatic Hammer

Untitled Document Product Name: Chicago Pneumatic CP-714 Heavy Duty Pneumatic Hammer Includes: CP-714 Heavy Duty Pneumatic Hammer Description: Versati...