Children's Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir Reviews

Children's Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir

Children's Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir - Highly Effective and Easy to Swallow

Feb 25, 2006 (Updated Feb 25, 2006)

Pros:Effective against cough, child takes readily

Cons:None for this family - check with your pediatrician and needs

The Bottom Line: The only cough medicine we have in the house and repeatedly buy!

It's always nerve wracking when your child is sick, and I admit I have often been up late at night reading ingredients, uses and benefits of medicines and treatments for my children. Currently I have an almost 6 year old who has had infant Asthma, that currently he seems to be outgrowing with just a few breathing issues in the winter months, etc. The issues arise as he gets a cold or any infection - it becomes difficult for him to sleep, and laying down often brings along coughing fits ... which in turns prompts vomiting. So clearly we need to get him to stop coughing, and quickly. Children's Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir has been, for us, a god send. It is the only cough medicine we now use.

It was originally recommended by our pediatrician (and I'd suggest asking yours, as the dosing on the label only addresses children aged 6 years and older). Dimetapp comes in many forms, but this is the only version that has specific ingredients for coughing, and that's his main symptom. Based on its description it seemed like it could potentially be a great product to fit our needs:

"temporarily relieves cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation occurring with a cold, and nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies, or associated with sinusitis

temporarily relieves these symptoms due to hay fever (allergic rhinitis):

runny nose sneezing itchy, watery eyes
itching of the nose or throat

temporarily restores freer breathing through the nose"

Now it was just a matter of trying out the product and seeing how well it worked - the best test.

We followed the doctor's dosing recommendations and gave to our son at the first sign of coughing - for our house often just as he went to lay down to go to sleep. It comes in a red color and states it tastes like grapes (a flavor typically our son tolerates pretty well). Though he does hesitate at the taste of some medicines we've always been able to get him to "take anything", though about half of what we've tried he complains of the taste and its been a verbal battle to get him to finish. Not so with Children's Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir - our son always drinks it down like it was nothing. It's also one of the few medicines he does not ask for a drink afterward to get the taste out of his mouth!

The best thing about Children's Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir is how effective it is. It controls and quiets his coughing within 15 to 20 minutes, and it allows him to sleep through the night. This makes all of us pleased. Also we feel this medicine prevents a further attack or worse episode, as for us his continued coughing often escalates into vomiting.

His nose stops running, he stops sneezing everywhere, and the cough is quieted - it is like a miracle.

Thank you Dimetapp for making a highly effective, easy to take medicine that has really helped our family.

(From the site and packaging):

Drug Facts
Active ingredients (in each 5 mL tsp) Purposes
Brompheniramine maleate, USP 1 mg..........................................Antihistamine Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 5 mg......................................Cough suppressant Pseudoephedrine HCl, USP 15 mg.......................................Nasal decongestant

excitability may occur, especially in children

symptoms do not get better within 7 days or are accompanied by fever

cough lasts more than 7 days, comes back, or is accompanied by fever, rash, or persistent headache. These could be signs of a serious condition

Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Directions
do not take more than 4 doses in any 24-hour period

Other information
each teaspoon contains: sodium 3mg
store at 20-25°C (68-77°F)

not a USP elixir

dosage cup provided

Inactive ingredients: artificial flavor, citric acid, FD&C blue no. 1, FD&C red no. 40, glycerin, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, sorbitol solution, sucralose

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Cough/nighttime Cold & Congestion 8oz

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Cough/nighttime Cold & Congestion 8oz

Relieves nasal symptoms, including stuffy nose, runny nose and sneezing Also treats itchy and watery eyes Restores freer breathing Ingredients Cold Co...

Dimetapp Children's Cough & And Cold Relief Medicine Grape Flavor

Dimetapp Children's Cough & And Cold Relief Medicine Grape Flavor

Click Here. Double your traffic. Get Vendio Gallery - Now FREE! Description You are buying a Dimetapp Children's Cough Cold Relief Medicine Grape Flav...

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Allergy 4 Fl Oz

Children's Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold & Allergy 4 Fl Oz

Help your little one stay focused on fun and not their allergies or cold with the Children s Dimetapp Grape Flavor Cold and Allergy Medicine. Whether ...

Children's Dimetapp Nighttime Grape Flavor Cold & Congestion, 4 Oz

Children's Dimetapp Nighttime Grape Flavor Cold & Congestion, 4 Oz

For ages six years and over Dosage cup provided Drug Facts Active Ingredient Purpose Diphenhydramine HCI, USP 6.25 mg Antihistamine/cough suppressant ...