Children's Tylenol Cold plus Cough Liquid

The Best Children's Cold Remedy That I've Found

Jun 4, 2003 (Updated Jun 4, 2003)

Pros:Suppresses Fever, Sore Throat, Cough, Stuffy Nose, Sneezing and Running Nose.

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: This is one of the only children's cold medicines that has acetaminophen in it.

Recently my son developed a cold and I sent my husband to Walmart to get some Tylenol Plus Cold & Cough. But he ended up coming back with equate(Walmart brand) cold and cough medicine, he claimed it was cheaper. I knew we should have went back and swapped it for the Tylenol version but it was getting late and Jaiden couldn't get to sleep because he kept coughing. So we decided to give it a try. I have to admit it worked ok. The problems I had with it was it didn't have any acetaminophen in it for fevers. I think the medicine tastes ok but trying to get a little kid to take two cups of medicine when they are sick just becomes a big headache. So the next day I went to Walmart and got the Tylenol Cold & Cough even if it was a few bucks more expensive and I decided to just save the other stuff as a backup. Though I did have to point out to my husband that when you use the equate cold medicine and a children's acetaminophen it ends up being quite a bit more expensive. Tylenol also puts out coupons about once a month which make the price close to equate.

I'm not sure if they are doing this everywhere but I was just informed last time I was at Walmart that they will not sell cold medicine to people unless they show some sort of ID proving that they are at least 18 years old. So if you shop there remember your ID.

The following is taken from bottle.

Uses

temporarily relieves these cold symptoms:

*nasal congestion *sore throat
*Runny Nose *sneezing
*headaches *minor aches and pains
*coughs *temporarily reduces fever

Directions:

*Shake well before using
*Find right dose on chart below. If possible, use weight to dose; otherwise, use age.
*Use only with enclosed measuring cup
*If needed, repeat dose every 4-6 hours
*Do not use more then 4 times in 24 hours

Under 48lb or under 6 years old call a doctor

48-95lbs or 6-11 years old take 2 tsp.

Attention: Specifically designed for use with enclosed measuring cup. Use only enclosed measuring cup to dose this product. Do not use any other dosing device.

Inactive Ingredients:
acesulfame potassium, butylparaben, cellulose, citric acid, corn syrup, D&C Red #33, FD&C Red #40, flavors, glycerin,propylene glycol, sodium benzoate, sorbitol, xanthan gum

Warnings:

Sore throat warning:
If sore throat is severe, persists for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed be fever, headache, rash, nausea or vomiting, consult a doctor promptly.

Do Not Use:
* In a child who is taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor(MAOI)(certain drugs for depression, psychiatric or emotional conditions, or Parkinson;s disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your child's prescription drug contains an MAOI ask a doctor or pharmacist before giving this product.
* With any other product containing acetaminophen.

Ask a doctor before use if the child has:
*heart disease
*high blood pressure
*chronic cough that lasts as occurs with asthma
*thyroid disease
*diabetes
*glaucoma
*cough that occurs with too much phlegm (mucus)

When using this product
*do not exceed recommended dosage
*drowsiness may occur
*excitability may occur, especially in children

Stop use and ask a doctor if:

*new symptoms occur
*fever gets worse or lasts for more than 3 days
*redness or swelling is present
*nervousness, dizziness or sleeplessness occurs
*pain gets worse or lasts for more then 5 days
*cough lasts more than 7 days, comes back or occurs with fever, rash or headache that lasts.
These could be signs of a serious condition.

Keep out of reach of children.
Overdose warning:

Taking more than the recommended dose (overdose) could cause serious health problems. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. Quick medical attention is critical even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.

Other Information:

*Do not use if bottle wrap or foil inner seal imprinted "Safety Seal" is broken or missing
*Store at room temperature
*See bottom panel for lot number and expiration date

So did the medicine work?

We've been using this product for a little while now but when we first started using this product we called the doctor to find out if he should even take this product since Jaiden is under six years old. The doctor said that it would be fine just to cut the dose in half. I would recommend that you call the doctor to make sure he feels that it is safe for your child to take the product before using it.

This medicine smells like cherry candy and it must taste good too because Jaiden has never complained about taking it. I think the medicine works fairly quickly, it takes about 20 minutes before I notice that Jaiden's cough, fever and runny nose have been suppressed. As for side effects we've never noticed any and Jaiden has never complained about any. The one thing that I like about this medicine over others is that this one usually lasts for 5 or 6 hours on Jaiden instead of 4 like a lot of others.

Other Children's Tylenol Products

Infants' Cold
Stuffy Nose, Fever, Pain.

Infants' Cold + Cough
Coughs, Stuffy Noses, Fever, Pain.

Children's Cold
Runny Nose, Stuffy nose, Sore Throat, Sneezing, Fever.

Children's Flu
Fever/Body Aches, Headaches, Stuffy Nose, Runny nose, Coughs.

Children's Sinus
Stuffy Nose, Sinus Headache-Pressure-Pain, Nasal Congestion.

Children's Allergy
Sneezing, Itchy Eyes, Runny Nose, Stuffy Nose, Sore/Itchy Throat.

Contact information:

1-877-TYLENOL (1-877-895-3665)

Bottom Line

I'm going to stick with this since most of the cold medicines don't have acetaminophen in them. I love how fast this medicine works and last on Jaiden and glad that he likes the taste of it. I would definitely recommend this to someone with a sick child as long as they don't have any of the problems mentioned in the warning.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them. Thank you for reading my epinion!

If you found this helpful you might also like:

Finding the right vitamin for your toddler

Tylenol(R) Extra Strength, Box Of 50

Tylenol(R) Extra Strength, Box Of 50

Reduces fever and great for temporary relief of minor aches and pains Can be used for headaches, muscular aches, backache, minor pain of arthritis, th...
Office Depot

Tylenol Cold And Flu Severe Caplets, 24 Count

Tylenol Cold And Flu Severe Caplets, 24 Count

Tylenol Cold and Flu Severe Caplets, 24 Count Tylenol cold and flu severe 24 count caplets. Relieves headache, fever, sore throat. Relieves nasal cong...

Childrens Tylenol Grape - 4 Ounce

Childrens Tylenol Grape - 4 Ounce

When it comes to reducing fever or relieving pain in infants, INFANTS' TYLENOL has been the brand recommended most by pediatricians.
Childrens Tylenol Grape 4 Ounce

Childrens Tylenol Grape 4 Ounce

Toys R Us

Tylenol Cold Multi Symptom Caplets for Adults - 24 Count

Tylenol Cold Multi Symptom Caplets for Adults - 24 Count

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Get fast, daytime relief from painful cold and flu symptoms with tylenol cold multi-symptom daytime. . - t...

Tylenol Cold ACM90084

Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Caplets Daytime 24 Caps

Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Caplets Daytime 24 Caps

PainRelieverFeverReducerNasalDecongestantCoughSuppressantDaytimeNon-DrowsyHeadacheFeverSoreThroatNasalCongestionCoughForAdults
Herbspro.com

Physicianscare Cold And Cough Congestion Medication (compare To Tylenol Cold) 5

Physicianscare Cold And Cough Congestion Medication (compare To Tylenol Cold) 5

1. NO SALES TAX 2. LOW COST EXPEDITED SHIPPING FOR US BUYERS 3. WE ARE NOW SHIPPING WORLDWIDE NEW PhysiciansCare Cold and Cough Congestion Medication ...

Tylenol Honey Lemon Cold and Flu Severe Liquid - 8 oz

Tylenol Honey Lemon Cold and Flu Severe Liquid - 8 oz

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Tylenol cold & flu severe with honey lemon warming liquid relieves your painful cold and flu symptoms and ...