Chillow Reviews

Chillow

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Sleep Peacefully With A Cooling Chillow In Your Pillow (as seen on Oprah show)

Jan 10, 2004 (Updated Mar 11, 2005)

Pros:Alleviates sleep difficulties during those hot, miserable nights; relieves headaches, back pain, etc.

Cons:Just a couple. Please see review.

The Bottom Line: Chillow provides relief to me from occasional night sweats, simply hot nights, relieves headaches, back pain. I am so happy to have found it, and recommend it to others.

Intrigued is the word I used when I first heard of the Chillow cooling device on the Oprah show a while back. While I am not yet at the point of menopause, I do occasionally get the dreaded "night sweats". I wake up in the middle of the night, very uncomfortable, with the back of my neck very moist. It is distracting, and disturbs my sleep (not to mention waking my dog and cats, and we can't have that!). And even when I don't have that problem, I frequently look for a cool spot on my pillow during warm evenings. The Chillow resolves these problems.

How does it work:

The manufacturers use what they call "soothsoft" technology. It makes your pillow cool without requiring any refrigeration whatsoever.

From the manufacturers:

The Chillow® acts as a radiator for your body. It uses water to absorb, and then dissipate heat back to the surrounding air, leaving a cool sensation. It stays dry on the outside.

It will fit a standard pillow size 13.5 x 20.5x .625

Who is it good for?:

* It is good for anyone who is hot at night.

* Anyone with headaches

* Backaches

* Wonderful for sunburns

* Use for your feet when they are sore

* Fantastic for those with night sweats/hot flashes

* Also great for kids who get too hot

Features of the product:

It is very soft, and made of a durable material

It is hypoallergenic!

While you can refrigerate it if you wish (do not place in freezer), it is not necessary.

It is non-toxic and safe

Doesn't require any power, batteries, nothing but the water you initially put in, and the initial setting up. For best results they do suggest you remove the air bubbles monthly.

They provide a one year warranty.

The Chillow arrives at my door:

Okay, I was very excited to receive it, but was a little worried about what the set up would entail. So much so, I didn't take it out of the box for a few days-but after a couple more rough nights waking up at 3:00AM, I got the guts to open it up. The set up is basically a one time thing, and if I can do it, anyone can. What you need is to first remove any jewelry you might be wearing, and roll up your sleeves. Trust me on this. You need to get a 2 quart container. They insist that it be clean, but I would hope people would have clean pitchers and such. Anyway, fill it up with 2 quarts of lukewarm water. You will also need a measuring cup, and a towel if you like.

You'll need to grab the valve on the Chillow, and raise it up a little bit. They suggest you also tilt it to get the best results. You next pour in the water very carefully and slowly, and then add an additional 2 cups. Next wait a few minutes to let it do its thing. . . well, absorb the moisture. I won't go into all the boring details, but the next process is getting out the air bubbles. It takes a few tries, but it isn't a big deal. Again, I could do it.

So your Chillow is ready to go:

You can use your Chillow in two ways with your pillow. You can place it on top of your pillow if you like. Or you can place it inside the pillow.

My experience:

As indicated, I was a little intimidated by this product, but it ended up being fairly easy. Here are the little problems I had:

* I use king sized pillows so it wasn't a perfect fit (I have a queen size bed, so don't want standard pillows).

* I had difficulty getting the Chillow inside my pillow case with the pillow. So, what I decided to do was remove the pillow, insert the Chillow-put the pillow back in, and that worked great! You may not have that problem, but I'm somewhat klutzy.

* The rubbery like smell bugged me when I was filling it up with water. It might bother people who use it on the outside of the pillow. I don't find it a problem using it inside the pillow.

* The Chillow tends to slip around the pillow (perhaps because my pillow is bigger than recommended), so I am having to pull it around to where I want it.

* I find it too cold to use on top of my pillow. (You may not have this problem at all).

The Pluses or if you prefer, the Plusses:

The Chillow is a pleasure for me to use, and I am again enjoying sleeping peacefully at night without interruption. While I still occasionally have night sweats (I take Oona, a natural HRT that is very helpful, along with another product), the Chillow helps me sleep through the night. I have also used it to sooth my back/neck, and when I have had sinus headaches. At night the Chillow is cold/cool. By morning it is warmer, and I find that a very nice way to wake up. Another benefit for me is that I no longer need to take half of a sleeping pill in an attempt to sleep through the night~!

Warning:

Be careful not to puncture. I have to be very careful with my cats and my dog, as their claws would potentially puncture my Chillow. Of course, punctures are not covered by warranty!

Final thoughts and recommendations:

While this product is not perfect (and what product is?), it has certainly provided a soothing, cooling, enjoyable experience for me. I recommend it for anyone who gets hot and uncomfortable at night whether from night sweats, because that is how their system works, or would benefit by it for their headaches, sunburn, back pain, or of course for your hot kids. This is a wonderful invention, and made in the United States. If you are like me, and have a king or queen sized bed with king sized pillows, you can either use one of those pillows for your Chillow, and work with it, or simply get a regular sized/standard pillow for your Chillow. You can find it online very easily. If it is important to you, be sure to search for the best price, and a reliable site. The prices will vary considerably. I've seen them as low as $14.95 (very low, and will be hard to find this low), and as high as $34.95. I just wanted the Chillow, and wanted a reasonable price from a site I can depend on. I was able to accomplish both, and didn't want to wait for the absolute best price. I wanted my Chillow! I am giving Chillow 4 stars.

Update: I am about to order my 3rd Chillow online. I guess that says two things. One that I love/need my Chillow, and secondly I can't emphasize enough how important it is to protect your Chillow from your pets (or rambunctious kids/husband/significant other). Seriously, those claws are a problem, so take good care of it.

Thanks for reading!