Chlor Trimeton Allergy 12 Hour 24 Tablets

Chlor is the Clear Choice

Jan 31, 2007

Pros:Clears up sinuses quickly and keeps them that way for 12-plus-hours, without bothersome side-effects.

Cons:Sluggish for first hour after medication began working

The Bottom Line: Chlor-Trimeton is the clear choice in allergy relief, working quickly and with little side-effect.

Background:
No one medication is right for everyone. Despite Alavert working well for my mother, it does nothing for me. Zyrtec works, but leaves me with a headache. Benadryl makes me go to sleep and Claritin keeps me awake at night. With so many allergy medications and side-effects, I was desperate to find an allergy pill that would neither make me drowsy, not make it impossible for me to sleep.

Why I choose this one:
I was in Price Chopper looking at allergy medications and the sales tag under Chlor-Trimeton caught my eye. The price was $4.99 for a box of 10 pills, originally $6.49. Although, this product has been on the market for several years, I had never noticed it until now.

I flipped over the box to look at the active ingredients. Chlorpheniramine maleate; that's different, I thought. Alavert uses the traditional antihistamine blocker Loratadine, which alone has never worked for me. Claritin also has this ingredient, plus pseudoephedrine sulfate, which gives me insomnia. Benadryl has Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, which works, but puts me to sleep. I needed a new active ingredient and Cholr-Trimeton with its 12mg of Chlorpheniramine maleate was worth a try.

Other ingredients:
Calcium Sulfate, Carnauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Confectioner's Sugar, D&C Yellow 10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue 2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake, Gelatin, Hypromellose, Lactose Monohydrate, Magnesium Stearate, Methacrylic Acid, Copolymer, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Pharmaceutical Ink, Polysorbate-80, Povidone, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sucrose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, Triethyl Citrate, White Wax

Purpose:
Chlor-Trimeton is designed for 12 hour relief of allergy symptoms including itchy, watery eyes, sneezing and runny nose, and itchy throat.

Side-effects:
To minimize risks all warnings should be read prior to use. The most likely side effects are excitability or drowsiness.

Experience:
After taking Chlor-Trimeton home with me, I waited for a day where nothing was planned incase the medicine had poor effects. One day, around noon, I could not take it anymore and needed an allergy pill to control my sneezing, running nose, burning, dry, itchy eyes, and scratchy throat.

I opened up the Chlor-Trimeton box to find 10 orange colored, small round pills fastened into a foil wrap. The foil did not have perforated lines, requiring scissors if I would want to separate one pill for travel. To retrieve a pill from the foil container all I had to do was push my thumb nail into the pill pouch, immediately releasing it.

The pill went down smoothly with only a little bit of water. My sneezing ceased within 15 minutes. My throat and eyes became less scratchy and irritated soon after. After a half hour I no longer needed tissue after tissue for my nose. My sinuses were cleared quickly, but I felt a little sluggish.

I was not drowsy enough that I had to lay down and preceded to make lunch. Eating helped the sluggish feeling and within an hour, the drowsiness went away. I was able to drive to the store, feeling alert there and back.

My sinuses continued to stay clear throughout the night and into the next morning. I would say the effects of the pill stayed with me about 16 hours. I was easily able to wind down and had no trouble falling asleep at my regular bed time or staying asleep. I had no trouble waking up the next morning with the alarm.

Normally in the morning, my head feels congested, however, this was no longer true. The morning after taking this pill my sinuses were clear and I was congestion and headache free. Other than the initial drowsiness, I did not note any other side-effects cause by this medication.

Recommendation:
Obviously, all medication is different and what works for one may not work for another. Chlor-Trimeton is the first allergy medication that works for me without bothersome side-effects. I will continue to use it and I recommend it.

No contact information was available for Chlor-Trimeton and they do not seem to have a website. Pills are usually sold in 4 hour treatments and 12 hour treatments. I have not used the 4 hour pill.

While I was happy taking only 1 Claritin a day for 24 hour relief, the effects of Chlor-Trimeton seem to last me more than the 12 hours stated on the package. They are not as pricey as Claritin and can be easily retrieved from the medication aisle rather than having to wait in the pharmacy line.

Medline Generic OTC Allergy Tabs, 4Mg, 24 Box (Chlor Trimeton) - MEDOTC01224

Medline Generic OTC Allergy Tabs, 4Mg, 24 Box (Chlor Trimeton) - MEDOTC01224

Generic OTC Allergy Tabs, 4Mg, 24 Bx (Chlor Trimeton)Generic OTC Cough and Cold Relief: Allergy Relief Allergy Tablets. 4 mg. 24 per box (Compare to C...
BettyMills.com