Church & Dwight Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant (033200197935) Reviews

Church & Dwight Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant (033200197935)

Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant: Good but ...

Jul 23, 2011

Pros:Natural, nice scent, stops most odors, inexpensive, safer than many others

Cons:Leaves some white marks, contains a few questionable ingredients, can't stop wetness

The Bottom Line: Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant is indeed all natural but it contains a couple of unnecessary ingredients that turn me off. It works to stop odors though.

I am not very picky about my deodorants because most work fine. One issue I do have is that many leave white streaks and marks on my clothes. Still, I decided it would be a good idea to try a natural deodorant as I have heard some scary things about the chemicals in antiperspirants and deodorants. Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant seemed like a great place to start with natural deodorants. Note that this NOT an antiperspirant, just a deodorant. The listing title is incorrect. I like this well enough for odor control but it does mark my dark clothing and it has some cheap fillers and ingredients in it that seem unnecessary.

About the Product

Natural Protection Aluminum Free Paraben Free
Contains Arm & Hammer® Baking Soda and natural plant extracts to absorb and fight odor.

Arm & Hammer, the Standard of Purity

Manufacturer's Info

Packaging

Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant
comes in a very simple 2.5 ounce plastic package with a swivel up stick that has a wheel at the bottom to turn. The top just pulls off. The stick is white and the scent is light and fresh. They do sell an unscented version but I like at least a bit of scent in my deodorants.

My Experience

I rarely perspire so I figured I could easily get away with just a deodorant and not subject myself to all the chemicals in an antiperspirant. This product is aluminum free and contains no parabens. It stops odor with a combination of baking soda and botanicals.

The product is a solid and does slide onto my skin easily. I don't have to tug or pull at my skin to cover my underarms. It leaves a little bit of white residue on them but that seems to fade pretty quickly. This product doesn't sting when I use it even right after shaving.

It's very hot here at this time and, although I rarely perspire, I did note that my armpits were damp in the heat, which is not the fault of this product since is not made to stop wetness. I guess my usual antiperspirant/deodorant stopped any wetness that heat and exercise may have caused and I didn't realize it.

Still, I figured for a healthier alternative, damp underarms now and then weren't a bad trade off.

The deodorizing of Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant seems to work fine for me. I can't smell myself really but I did a whiff test of a top I wore all day in the heat and the armpit area smelled fine (although it did have little white marks on it). I would recommend reapplying every eight hours though if you are concerned with body odor.

Now, here is what is bugging me. Although Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant is all natural, it contains a few ingredients that seem at best unnecessary. Propylene Glycol is a filler and Triclosan, while a common additive, has come under fire lately as possibly being a carcinogen as well as having some other adverse affects on some people. Most natural deodorants don't contain either of these two ingredients.

If I'm going to use a natural deodorant and forgo wetness control, I want one with NO questionable ingredients in it. This works but I'm looking for a more natural natural deodorant!

Ingredients

The full list of ingredients is:

Dipropylene Glycol, Water, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) (Baking Soda), Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oil, Lavandula Hybrida (Lavender) Oil, Fragrance, Triclosan, Tetrasodium EDTA, Allantoin (Comfrey Root)

www.drugstore.com and the packaging

Buying Info

You can purchase Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant at drugstores and mass-market stores on and offline. The price is about $2.50 to $3.00.

Conclusion

I realized that in the heat of the summer, I want an antiperspirant. I don't like sweat stains and the humidity is so high these days that, although I am not a heavy pespirer, I have noted that my armpits have been damp. In the winter, I think a deodorant would be plenty. Having said that, Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant seems to work well for controlling odor and it's natural. It doesn't contain many of the ingredients that could be harmful but it does contain a couple of questionable natural ingredients.

I will use what I have but will look for a different natural deodorant that is truly all natural with no cheap fillers or questionable ingredients. This product is good at what it does though and definitely safer than chemical laden antiperspirants and deodorants. 3 stars.

3 Bars Arm And Hammer Essentials Deodorant With Natural Deodorizers Scent: FRESH 2.5 Oz ea!Please note: If you buy more than one lot, please do not pa...

10 Bars Arm And Hammer Essentials Deodorant With Natural Deodorizers Scent: FRESH 2.5 Oz ea!Please note: If you buy more than one lot, please do not p...