Claritin-D Allergy and Congestion 24 hour Tablets Reviews

Claritin-D Allergy and Congestion 24 hour Tablets

Non-Drowsy, No Kidding

Jan 22, 2007 (Updated Jan 31, 2007)

Pros:Better than competitors at relieving allergies, works longer than a day

Cons:Insomnia and other frustrating side-effects

The Bottom Line: Claritin-D 24 is worth a try for all allergy suffers, but be cautious of side-effects and how they are affecting you.

How this product came into my life:
Prior to Claritin being sold without a prescription, I took it for a number of my childhood years. Since it has become an over the counter brand, I have used it many times. I have tried the fast array of Claritin Allergy products and have found that Claritin-D Allergy and Congestion 24 hour Tablets works the best on my allergies.

Inside the Box:

Purpose and Ingredients:

Claritin-D 24 is an allergy medication with two active ingredients. The first is 10 mg of Loratadine, which is an Antihistamine. The other is 240 mg of Pseudoephedrine Sulfate, which is a Nasal Decongestant. Antihistamines relive symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and throat. The nasal decongestant pseudoephedrine is formulated to last longer than other decongestants.

Due to abuse, many allergy medications have replaced pseudoephedrine with phenylephrine, which is the active ingredient in Sudafed and now many allergy medications. The change means the medication does not last as long and needs to be taken every 4-6 hours instead of only once a day like Claritin-D 24. Claritin-D 24 remains a non-prescription drug, but is now sold behind the pharmacy counter and requires identification for purchase.

Inactive:
Besides the two active ingredients, Claritin-D 24 also contains Corn Starch, Lactose Monohydrate, Magnesium Stearate.

Looks and Recommended Use:
Claritin Tablets are what my grandmother would refer to as "horse pills." They are fat white pills measuring a 1/2 inch in length and 2/8 inch in width. One side of the pill is plain and the other side has "Claritin D 24 Hour" written in black writing. The packets are the traditional foil and paper, peel one side to remove kind, however, a thrust of the thumb nail into the back of the packet easily opens the packet for removal of the allergy pill.

Claritin-D 24 is designed to take only once a day at about the same time daily. It is to be swallowed with water or other beverage. Claritin is usually safe for children over 12 and pregnant women, although, all warnings should be read prior to use.

Side-effects:
As a social worker, I keep the PDR Pocket Guide to Prescription Drugs book around, which states that most common side-effects include: "coughing, dizziness, dry mouth, fatigue, insomnia, nausea, nervousness, sleepiness, and sore throat."

About Claritin:
I purchased 10 pill box, which lasts 10 days if taken each day. This box usually costs about $12.99 although Claritin usually has a $3 coupon in the Sunday paper or online.

Contact:
Information on Claritin Products can be found at: www.claritin.com/
Or at: www.norxclaritin.com/
Where Claritin Products can be ordered at a discount from Canada.
The following phone number is also available to contact Claritin: 1-800-252-7484.

Experience:
Most days in the winter I can take a couple Sudafed and be fine. Other days my nose is running, eyes itching, or I have a trip planned to someone’s house that has pets. On those days, I take Claritin-D 24.

Claritin-D 24 usually takes about an hour to start working for me. I know it is working because my nose completely clears up and sinuses are suddenly fine. My eyes stop watering and my throat stops itching. When I take Claritin-D 24 the relief of my allergy symptoms usually lasts 2 days. The first day, my sinuses are completely clear and then mid-day on the second day the relief starts to diminish.

If I take Claritin-D 24 upon waking, I usually have little trouble sleeping once bedtime comes around. However, if my allergies are unbearable in the late morning or afternoon and I take Claritin-D 24, I can kiss a goodnight sleep goodbye. Usually on these days, I will have difficulty falling asleep, which may take up to 2 hours past the normal time I fall asleep. And I will wake up after only 3 or 4 hours sleep, when I normally sleep 7-8 hours straight. Sometimes if I really need to get back to sleep, I will take a Benadryl, which knocks me out, but makes me feel like I am overdoing my allergy medication and sedating myself.

While Claritin is sure to relieve my allergy symptoms and last long on keeping them from returning, I have experienced other side effects. One is dry mouth, which leads to my throat drying out and needing constant fluids during the night. Another is waking up with head congestion on nights that I have not taken Benadryl. And a slightly noticeable degree of nervousness.

Recommendation:
Usually when I am having difficulty sleeping, the first thing my husband will say to me is, "Did you take a Claritin today?" Claritin-D 24 causes me insomnia. On nights that I have not taken Claritin-D 24 during the day, I do not have difficulty sleeping.

Despite side-effects Claritin-D 24 works exceptionally well on allergies. It has relieved my symptoms time and time again better than any other over-the-counter allergy medication. And it keeps my sinuses clear longer than any other allergy drug and longer than it is advertised to.

Claritin-D 24 is definitely something you should try, but keep in mind the side-effects of the drug and then weigh the benefits and the costs to see if it is right for you.

As for me, despite my gratification in clearing allergy symptoms Claritin-D 24, it is no longer a medication I will buy. While it works well, I find it so frustrating to lose sleep because of it and as you can imagine my husband is not thrilled with my tossing and turning at night due to Claritin either. Therefore, I plan to pick a new allergy medication with the help of my doctor.