ClickFree HD325 320 GB,External,5400 RPM (325-1001-100) Hard Drive Reviews

ClickFree HD325 320 GB,External,5400 RPM (325-1001-100) Hard Drive

Easy Backup But Study Your Files When Finished

Mar 13, 2009

Pros:Ease of Use

Cons:Some Old Files Don't Get Copied. Must Remember to Plug in the System

The Bottom Line: Easy system. Some old files may not get copied without extra configuration. Must plug it in each time.

I recently purchased at ClickFree 320 GB Automatic Backup from QVC. This is my second ClickFree Automatic Backup, because I thought it would be good to have two backups.

It searches for and backs up over 400 file types. And you can use it on 20 computers!

My first impression wasn't good, because it comes in one of those annoying plastic cases, which makes it almost impossible to get open. I cut around the outside with my scissors, thought I could finally get to the unit. But the actual unit is inside even more annoying plastic. Oh how I wish for the cardboard boxes of yesteryear! Anyway, I was almost there, but for a label glued part to the last piece of plastic, and more plastic saying that I must go to www.goclickfree.com/eula to read the License Agreement. And simply removing the sticker means I comply with the License Agreement!

More annoyance later, and I have the unit free!

Now, just plug the unit in and it starts searching for files. With my first Clickfree, I learned that my old set of non-standard WordPerfect file extensions did not get automatically backed up, but there's an option in the menu to configure the backups. I just tell it to copy my entire documents file in addition to the rest of the stuff.

With any backup system, the value is learned when you actually must restore from it. I've been using computers for almost 30 years, and I started with the 90-kilobyte 5 1/4" floppy drives. When we moved up to a hard drive . . . Would you believe a 10 Megabyte hard drive, it took a lot of floppies to back it up. And we didn't have a program simply to backup everything. We had to backup by naming groups of files. With that system, you are certain to lose some data each time you have to format and restore the operating system. I've tried various ways of backing up over the years, some times, new methods have lost all my data. Once I switched to a new backup system, only to learn two years later that the backups were not restoring. So, I pulled out my two year old disks, and went from there. Using CDs or DVDs to backup is always a problem, because you can't get all your data on one disk. And you get tennis elbow changing disks. With all the trouble to back up, most of the time I get so frustrated, I give up. Or they're finally done, and I don't bother to check the backups carefully to make sure all the files are really there. But with Clickfree, just plug it in, and it works. But, once it's done, be sure to stay in the program a few minutes more to make sure all the disks you think you've saved really are there.

The other problem I have with the Clickfree, is that studying the files after a backup, I don't recognize some of the files by their file extensions, so I'm not sure how much junk gets copies as well.

Since getting the first Clickfree, I have been forced to format and reinstall. My usual tactic with backups is to take my PhotoSafe II and simply copy my entire documents file. So much better than using individual disks. So, I have more than one off-computer backup. So, it was just easier to restore from my PhotoSafe II. I have never actually restored the entire contents of ClickFree. Mainly because I'm not sure how much junk the unit is also copying.

However, I have used the ClickFree to move large directories from one computer to another. You can restore selected files, and it saves them in a directory called "ClickFree Restored Files" complete with a desktop icon linking you to that directory or you can have it restore to the original location. From there, you can either leave them in that directory, or move what you want to your main directory.

I'd suggest getting a Clickfree because it makes it easy to backup your system. And with most, if it's not easy, it won't get done.

This is a wonderful system. In fact, I read a glowing article on Clickfree in the Wall Street Journal. The only other downside to the unit is that you must remember to plug in the unit. Simply leaving it plugged into your system doesn't keep it updated. The process of plugging the unit via USB cable starts the backup.

The last time I plugged in the Clickfree, the program updated and gave me the option to install a Backup Reminder Gadget on the Desktop.

Clickfree - C6 500GB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

Clickfree - C6 500GB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

This Clickfree C6 CA3A056C 500GB external portable hard drive features a USB 3.0 interface for easy connection to your computer and data transfer rate...
Best Buy

Clickfree - C6 500gb External Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

Clickfree - C6 500gb External Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search Full Size Image Click to close full size. Click here to view full size. Clickfree - C6 500GB External USB 3.0 Por...

Clickfree C6 Portable Ca3a05-6c 500 Gb Usb 3.0 2.5 External Hard Drive Ca3a05-6

Clickfree C6 Portable Ca3a05-6c 500 Gb Usb 3.0 2.5 External Hard Drive Ca3a05-6

Clickfree C6 Portable CA3A05-6C 500 GB USB 3.0 2.5 External Hard Drive (CA3A05-6CBK9-F1S)(New-Retail)Description: General Information Manufacturer Sto...

Clickfree - CA3A05-6CBK9-E1S - Clickfree C6 Portable CA3A05-6C 500 GB 2.5 External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - Retail

Protects everything on your computer Automatically backs up your entire computer (Image Backup) including your photos and other personal files, softwa...
Clickfree 1 Tb, External C2 Hard Drive - Brand

Clickfree 1 Tb, External C2 Hard Drive - Brand

Highlights 256-bit hardware based encryption Built-in USB cable Scheduled backup Import iPod music and play lists Backup multiple computers - PC or Ma...

Clickfree Automatic Backup C2 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive 527B3 (Piano Black)

Clickfree Automatic Backup C2 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive HD527B (Piano Black)

Clickfree - C6 Total Computer Backup - Hard drive - 1 TB - external ( po, External Hard Dr

Clickfree C6 Total Computer Backup - Hard drive - 1 TB - external ( portable ) - 2.5 - USB 3.0
TigerDirect.com

Clickfree Automatic Backup C2 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive HD227W (White)

Clickfree 250GB C2 Portable Backup WhiteSimply connect Clickfree to your computer and it will automaticallyfind, organize, and copy photos, videos, mu...