Clinique Chubby Stick Reviews

Clinique Chubby Stick

My lipstick addiction began right here with the Clinique Chubby Stick

Jan 16, 2002 (Updated Jan 16, 2002)

Pros:long lasting, great colors, easy to use

Cons:must sharpen, may be a bit drying

The Bottom Line: I've found the Clinique Chubby Stick to be a super easy to use, long lasting lip color. I do believe it's worth buying and trying!

It was a year and a half ago that I first heard about the Clinique Chubby Stick. I hear about it by reading several reviews, written one after another by various Epinions members. They all had said pretty much the same thing. Love it! I was more than simply curious and had to try it.

About the Chubby Stick

The Clinique Chubby Stick is a lipstick and lip pencil in one. It comes in pencil form - a rather chubby pencil at that.

On Clinique's web site they say the following about this product: "Liner and lipstick in one. The creamiest all-over lip colour glides on for definition, long-lasting luscious coverage, in one simple sweep. Perfect solo or in unison under your favourite Clinique lipstick."

Current price for the full sized Clinique Chubby Stick, which you can find at a Clinique Counter near you, or at www.clinique.com is $12.50.

There have been several shades of the Chubby Stick, but since it just so happens I've actually tried (owned) every shade that is currently available I'll give you a little run down on 'em. They are:

Nude Ice (Nude) - this shade has some frost/shimmer to it. It's a rather pale nude and honestly hardly shows up on my lips. I tend to use this over a lipstick when I want a little sparkle and toning down.

Vanilla Brownie (Nude) - My favorite shade! This is a brown, not dark, not light. It's very creamy and almost matte looking on the lips.

Angel Kiss (Pink) - I usually have a huge aversion to anything pink, but Angel Kiss isn't too pink. It's actually a bit similar to my natural lip color so it doesn't scream "PINK!". It also has a nice frosty shimmer to it.

Grapevine (Violet) - A creamy grape/voilet/mauve shade. It's very pretty; I wore it every day for a month when I first got it.

Blackberry (Violet) - a deep, dark (to me), frosty burgundy shade. Simply gorgeous! I tried this one once and saw it was not for me. It was too dark, although I did consider keeping it to wear once or twice a year for an evening event. In the end I gave this one away to a friend who would get more use out of it. Think Christmas Party and you've got Blackberry down perfectly.

bops_mom's Experience

Having been lucky enough to have tried all those shades through the ever popular GWP (Gift With Purchase) deals that Clinique tends to run twice a year, I confess that I have yet to shell out the $12.50 for the full size chubby. But I will also confess that I liked this product enough to shell out the cash when my Vanilla Brownie runs out - or at least I would have....

You see, a dear friend (KMINER) sent me a Revlon Color & Condition in Cocoas. And I'll be darned if it isn't exactly like my Vanilla Brownie Chubby Stick. Since I am cheap, I will be replacing my Color & Condition when it runs out.

Okay, back to the Chubby Stick!

First, things I really like about it. It's very easy to use. I tend to apply by outlining my lips first and then coloring them in with the chubby stick. Sure, you can use the Chubby along with a lipstick, but I don't do that except when I use the Nude Ice. The others I've found to be wonderful on their own.

The color lasts a long time. Not for 12 hours, but for a good 4+ hours and that's with eating, drinking, talking, running around after a 3 year old, yelling at the husband, etc. In my book, that is more than decent enough. Note that the frosty shades tend to wear off more quickly than the creamy ones.

I'm also rather amazed that I liked every shade the Clinique Chubby Stick comes in. How often does that happen? Like, never, right? While this is good for me, I do wonder how many others would enjoy every shade that I do. We all have different tastes and different skin tones, etc. So the limited color selection may be a drawback for some.

The not so good - or, rather, the things that make the Clinique Chubby Stick not 100% perfect are how it is a pencil and therefore must be sharpened from time to time. If you have or buy a Clinique Chubby Stick may I just very highly recommend that you purchase Clinique's Chubby Stick Sharpener? It will only cost you $1.00 and is well worth it. The sharpener makes sharpening my Chubby's a breeze.

The other not so grand thing about the Clinique Chubby Stick is how it is a little dry. Not super dry like I found Cover Girl's Outlast to be, but it's on the drier side of lip color. This isn't a real problem for me, but for those who have a problem with drier lip color it could be.

bops_mom's Recommendation

What are you waiting for already? Go and try out the Clinique Chubby Stick! If you're not sure about it play around with them at your local Clinique counter and see if you can get a sample to try before you buy - remember - Clinique will give you your money back if you return a purchase so you have nothing to lose.

Or, if you're cheap (like me) and balk at the idea of spending $12.50 on a lip color pencil give the Revlon Color & Condition a try. [Yes, yes. That's another review. Coming soon, I promise.]

And of course, I do thank you for reading!

~ Melissa :o)

Clinique Chubby Stick - Two Ton Tomato 11 U/b

Clinique Chubby Stick - Two Ton Tomato 11 U/b

CLINIQUE Travel Size Chubby Stick in Two Ton Tomato. NOTE: Chubby stick is a GWP and has no box. CLINIQUE Chubby Stick - Two Ton Tomato 11 u/b POLICIE...

Clinique 'Chubby Stick' Shadow Tint for Eyes

Free Shipping + 3 Free Beauty Samples! A sheer wash of lightweight, creamy color glides on with a layerable, long-wearing and versatile finish. Contou...
Nordstrom

Clinique Chubby Stick - No. 07 Super Strawberry 3g/0.10oz by Clinique

Clinique Chubby Stick - No. 07 Super Strawberry 3g/0.10oz by Clinique

Free Shipping worldwide. Recommended Retail: US$22.00 - Chubby Stick - No. 07 Super Strawberry-3g/0.10oz - makeup / cosmetics
StrawberryNET.com

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes - Big Blue

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes - Big Blue

Sheer wash of lightweight, creamy colour slips on. Layerable and long-wearing. Versatile, too. Glide one on for a swift wash of colour. Contour with a...
Saks Fifth Avenue

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes - Plush Periwinkle - Clinique

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes - Plush Periwinkle - Clinique

Stage Stores

Clinique - Chubby Stick N04-mega Melon 3 Gr

Clinique - Chubby Stick N04-mega Melon 3 Gr

Clinique - CHUBBY STICK N04-mega melon 3 gr Features Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm, #04 Mega Melon Details Brand: Clinique Item D...

Nordstrom

Chubby Stick - Clinique - Oversized orange

Chubby Stick - Clinique - Oversized orange

CliniqueChubby Stick DetailsSuper-nourishing balm is loaded with mango and shea butters. Just what dry, delicate lips need to feel comfortably soft an...
Neiman Marcus