Pros: Basically effective. Light, pleasant scent. No harsh fumes or chemicals.
Cons: Perhaps not quite as effective as my usual kitchen cleaner.
No one would ever mistake me for a tree hugger, but I do like the idea of limiting my exposure to nasty chemicals. Perhaps that's why I bought a 32 ounce spray bottle of Clorox Green Works Natural All Purpose Cleaner instead of Formula 409 the last time I bought an all purpose detergent. In my house, I keep all purpose cleaners in my kitchen and that's where I've been using Clorox Green Works for the past few months. I'm mostly pretty pleased with it.
Clorox Green Works Natural All Purpose Cleaner is 97 percent naturally derived. And yet Clorox claims it can clean with the power you expect from Clorox without chemical fumes or residue. This product is made from bio-degradable plant based cleaning ingredients that were not tested on animals.
This product is to be used on grease, grime, residue, dirt, soils, and "messes". It's safe for use on counters, appliances, stainless steel, sealed granite, chrome, cooktop hoods, sinks, and toilets.
Filtered water, coconut-based cleaning agent (decyl and lauryl glucoside), corn-based ethanol (alcohol), fragrance with essential oil, biodegradable preservative (methylisothizolinone), blue and yellow colorant. Contains no phosphorus or bleach.
As I mentioned before, I use Clorox Green Works in my kitchen, where it helps me keep the countertops, sinks, and appliances clear of grease, debris, and fingerprints. I think it does a pretty good job cleaning up messes, though maybe not as good of a job as my old standby Formula 409 does. The nice thing about this product is that it has a pleasant herbal scent. I also like the fact that it doesn't contain any bleach. I've ruined too many clothes to be a big fan of using bleach in my efforts to clean.
We don't have kids in our household, but we do have two curious beagles. I find that Clorox Green Works does a fine job of helping me clean up after the dogs as well as the wipe up the inevitable messes that occur during cooking. It does a pretty passable job of cutting through grease and loosening up dried debris while still leaving a sparkle on glass and plastic surfaces.
It's pretty safe, too
I'm glad this product is relatively safe, although the label does warn to keep it out of reach of children. I also notice that the makers of this product supports the Sierra Club's efforts to protect the environment. Clorox Green Works has been given a stamp of approval by the Natural Products Association as well as recognized for safer chemistry by the Environmental Protection Agency. One reassuring thing that I noticed on the packaging is that there was just one warning to keep Green Works out of reach of children. I didn't see all the other warnings about poison and what to do in case of accidental ingestion or exposure. That's got to be very soothing to parents.
This product doesn't disinfect...
But that's okay by me. I think a lot of people try too hard to disinfect their surroundings by using antibacterial detergents. Unless you're in an operating room, your environment really shouldn't be sterile. Using too many antibacterial products can lead to superbugs-- strains of bugs that are resistant to ordinary antibiotics. They can also promote allergies, since your body doesn't get enough exposure to harmless agents to know which ones are safe and which ones aren't. I save the disinfectants for the bathroom area, particularly the toilet, or in the kitchen if I'm working with chicken or other meat that can cross contaminate.
I like Clorox Green Works, mainly for the fact that it's relatively gentle and safe, yet still mostly effective. I don't know if it's permanently earned a spot in my kitchen cleaning arsenal over Formula 409, but I definitely do like it well enough to recommend it to others.
For more information, call 1-800-228-1860 or visit www.greenworkscleaners.com