Coby CX71 AM/FM Radio Reviews

Coby CX71 AM/FM Radio

Surprisingly good!

Jan 20, 2008

Pros:Longlasting, clear reception, lightweight, has sturdy clip and wrist strap

Cons:None whatsoever!

The Bottom Line: The CX-71 is an excellent choice if you're looking for a lowcost, yet fashionable walkman with basic AM/FM reception.

I am the biggest cheapskate on the planet; however, I'm as wary as anyone else about the maxim "You get what you pay for," so I was very skeptical when I stumbled across this little cutie at a bargain basement store. I figured that if it stopped working in a few months, it was no big whoop. After all, I just wanted a small, very basic walkman, nothing fancy with flashing LCD screens or menus or anything like that.

So I bought this walkman, expecting to maybe get a few months worth out of it. I didn't even really expect much reception from it, either. To my surprise, not only did I get good reception, but a year later, this baby is still going strong with nary a hiccup. The only thing that crapped out were the headphones, but that stemmed more from a bad habit of me yanking at them while grabbing the walkman on my way out-- another replacement set of headphones and the walkman was as good as new.

So what does the Coby CX-71 offer? A basic AM/ FM tuner, volume dial, tuner dial, and a switch for DBBS (Dynamic Bass Boost System, a system to make the bass sound richer and deeper). To turn the radio on or off, you use the volume dial, since it doubles as the on/ off button. A little red light turns on to notify you when the radio is on. For power, it uses two AA batteries.

This walkman also comes with a very sturdy clip to attach to your back pocket or hip and a wrist strap if that's not your thing. In terms of weight and size, you couldn't have a less weighty and unobtrusive item. It's quite small (fits in the palm of your hand) and very lightweight.

In terms of design, this product is very sleek and modern-looking. To put it more bluntly, even though it's quite cheap, it hardly looks it. It comes in a variety of flashy designer colors, so you'll find something to your liking. If color's not your thing, there's always the classic silver to go with.

So that's the CX-71, in a nutshell. If you're looking for a very basic radio walkman and lowcost item without the bells and whistles of a more high-end product, you can really do no better than this. Not only does it offer clear reception, it's sleekly designed, longlasting, and very lightweight. I highly recommend one of these, if not for yourself then as cute little stocking stuffers.

NEW Coby Mini AM/FM Radio CX-71. Mint and new in package. Red color. Smoke free house. We put in our shipping cost by the weight chart ebay provides. ...