Coby DVD-938 5.1 Channel Home Theater System Reviews

Coby DVD-938 5.1 Channel Home Theater System

Good-bye, Clackity Clack! Hello Surround Sound!

Oct 1, 2012 (Updated Oct 6, 2012)

Pros:More features than I needed

Cons:Unsure of Long Term Quality

The Bottom Line: I recommend this DVD player due to its capability and apparent quality.

When my husband opened his package and he pulled out a Coby DVD938 5.1 Channel Home Theater Dvd System with Karaoke ports, I was not too impressed.  Our last DVD player was not as nice nor did it play very well.  It was noisy, made knocking sounds, had buzzing problems that would drown out the movie, and was not worth the money spent at Wal-Mart.  I was hoping this one would be better quality.

Setup

The set up was easy.  The Coby DVD938 5.1 Channel Home Theater Dvd System with Karaoke ports came with the Main Unit, Remote Control, 2 “AAA” Batteries, 2 Front Speakers, 1 Center Speaker, 2 Surround Speakers, 1 Subwoofer, 5 Speaker Wires, AV Cable, AM Antenna, and FM Antenna.

We plugged the speaker wires into their respective slots.  Coby makes it super easy by labeling the speakers to match their respective ports.  Then we positioned the speakers in strategic locations in the living room.

The longest speaker wires would only reach halfway across our living room.  Although these speakers will work in a pinch, I would highly recommend plugging in a really good pair.  Those of you out there that are speaker experts will know what I mean.  Also, longer speaker wires would be great since they could be placed further away and help block out other rooms’ noises (Such as my mother listening to her television in the next room and doing laundry in another room at the same time.)

Remote Control

The remote control has the following features:

Turn On-Off  (Standby)
Return to the DVD Menu
Arrows to Navigate through the Menu
Enter Button to confirm selection in Menu

Extra Features

Tired of movies and television?  This Coby model has a radio tuner with AM/FM stations.  This was a nice surprise!

This unit can also play back optical discs or memory cards that contain digital media files, MPEG-4, or even JPEG files.

Our Experience

We have been using this machine for several months now, and it has been a wonderful experience compared to our last one.  The DVD player is quiet and does its job.

We have not used the Karaoke input ports yet since we have not had the extra money to buy microphones or a Karaoke Disc.   This feature is one of the reasons my husband picked this out as his Points For Prizes in the Arkansas Lottery.  My husband loves to sing, so I am sure we will eventually purchase the microphones and see how that works.  NOTE:  Included in the machine are only the input plugs for the microphones.  No Karaoke discs are included.

The Coby DVD938 5.1 Channel Home Theater Dvd System is simple to set for Closed Captioning for the hearing impaired.  I use this function frequently since I cannot process sounds as fast as I can visual things.

Sound

The sound is a bit better than average.  The surround sound is crisp and clear.  A helicopter flying in a movie sounds like there is a helicopter right next to you flying by.  We are very pleased with the sound quality.

Picture Quality

The picture quality is very clear now with all our movies.  With our old player, some of our dvds were becoming a problem trying to play them.  This player works with precision and clarity making Movie Time much more enjoyable.

Problems

I have problems with opening the dvd door sometimes.  It is probably an operator error (ie. Me), and I just have not figured out what I am doing consistently wrong yet.  Here’s the problem:

I want to watch a movie, so I press the Open-Close DVD Tray button on the player.  The player lights up, waits a few seconds before either Loading a DVD already inside the player or just doesn’t open at all.  I have to press the button a couple of times to get it to open, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong at that point.  This function seems to work fine with the remote control.

Warranty

As a Coby product, it comes with a Limited Warranty with a 90 Days Labor and 1 Year Parts Warranty.

Should one have any problems, Coby is simple to contact.  Their technical support can be reached by telephone Monday through Friday 1-800-727-3592 from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST.  Their email is techsupport@cobyusa.com.

Another telephone number to reach them is 1-718-416-3197.

Coby Electronics Corporation Technical Support
150 Knowlton Way
Savannah, GA 31407

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found at their website http://www.cobyusa.com/.

Final Thoughts

When all is said and done at the end of the day, we can kick back and watch our favorite movies and adjust the sounds to our liking.  We dim the lights and pull out the popcorn and await our long deserved horror movie.

“They make things too complicated these days.  All I wanted to do was just watch a movie.” ~ seracorde11

Thanks for reading.

Coby DVD420 2.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System

The Coby DVD420 2.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System makes home theater setup quick and easy. With 2 full-range satellite speakers and a subwoofer with...

Coby DVD420 2.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System

Product Features DVD, DVDR/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, and JPEG compatible, Dolby digital decoder Digital and analog AV outputs for home theater use, NTSC/PAL co...

Coby DVD968 1000-Watt 5.1-Channel Home theatre System

Coby DVD968 1000-Watt 5.1-Channel Home theatre System

Product Features 5.1-Channel DVD player with integrated amplier, progressive scan DVD player with 1080p video output Upconverts DVD video to near-HD q...
Coby/csp97 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

Coby/csp97 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

BRAND NEW Coby CSP97 300 Watts 5.1-Channel Speaker System, Black Experience 300 watts of home theater surround sound Designed for use with 5.1-channel...

Coby DVD939 5.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

Coby DVD939 5.1-Channel DVD Home Theater System (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

Product Details 5.1-Channel progressive scan DVD player with integrated amplifier, DVD, DVD+/-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, CD+G and JPEG compatible Dolby Digita...

Coby 5.1 Channel DVD Home Theater System with HDMI Output - NEW

Coby 5.1 Channel DVD Home Theater System with HDMI Output - NEW

Coby's DVD978 system brings together high-tech features, powerful audio and stylish design for the ultimate home theater experience. Compatible with a...