Coby DVD-938 5.1 Channel Home Theater System Reviews

Coby DVD-938 5.1 Channel Home Theater System

Good-bye, Clackity Clack! Hello Surround Sound!

Oct 1, 2012 (Updated Oct 6, 2012)

Pros:More features than I needed

Cons:Unsure of Long Term Quality

The Bottom Line: I recommend this DVD player due to its capability and apparent quality.

When my husband opened his package and he pulled out a Coby DVD938 5.1 Channel Home Theater Dvd System with Karaoke ports, I was not too impressed.  Our last DVD player was not as nice nor did it play very well.  It was noisy, made knocking sounds, had buzzing problems that would drown out the movie, and was not worth the money spent at Wal-Mart.  I was hoping this one would be better quality.

Setup

The set up was easy.  The Coby DVD938 5.1 Channel Home Theater Dvd System with Karaoke ports came with the Main Unit, Remote Control, 2 “AAA” Batteries, 2 Front Speakers, 1 Center Speaker, 2 Surround Speakers, 1 Subwoofer, 5 Speaker Wires, AV Cable, AM Antenna, and FM Antenna.

We plugged the speaker wires into their respective slots.  Coby makes it super easy by labeling the speakers to match their respective ports.  Then we positioned the speakers in strategic locations in the living room.

The longest speaker wires would only reach halfway across our living room.  Although these speakers will work in a pinch, I would highly recommend plugging in a really good pair.  Those of you out there that are speaker experts will know what I mean.  Also, longer speaker wires would be great since they could be placed further away and help block out other rooms’ noises (Such as my mother listening to her television in the next room and doing laundry in another room at the same time.)

Remote Control

The remote control has the following features:

Turn On-Off  (Standby)
Return to the DVD Menu
Arrows to Navigate through the Menu
Enter Button to confirm selection in Menu

Extra Features

Tired of movies and television?  This Coby model has a radio tuner with AM/FM stations.  This was a nice surprise!

This unit can also play back optical discs or memory cards that contain digital media files, MPEG-4, or even JPEG files.

Our Experience

We have been using this machine for several months now, and it has been a wonderful experience compared to our last one.  The DVD player is quiet and does its job.

We have not used the Karaoke input ports yet since we have not had the extra money to buy microphones or a Karaoke Disc.   This feature is one of the reasons my husband picked this out as his Points For Prizes in the Arkansas Lottery.  My husband loves to sing, so I am sure we will eventually purchase the microphones and see how that works.  NOTE:  Included in the machine are only the input plugs for the microphones.  No Karaoke discs are included.

The Coby DVD938 5.1 Channel Home Theater Dvd System is simple to set for Closed Captioning for the hearing impaired.  I use this function frequently since I cannot process sounds as fast as I can visual things.

Sound

The sound is a bit better than average.  The surround sound is crisp and clear.  A helicopter flying in a movie sounds like there is a helicopter right next to you flying by.  We are very pleased with the sound quality.

Picture Quality

The picture quality is very clear now with all our movies.  With our old player, some of our dvds were becoming a problem trying to play them.  This player works with precision and clarity making Movie Time much more enjoyable.

Problems

I have problems with opening the dvd door sometimes.  It is probably an operator error (ie. Me), and I just have not figured out what I am doing consistently wrong yet.  Here’s the problem:

I want to watch a movie, so I press the Open-Close DVD Tray button on the player.  The player lights up, waits a few seconds before either Loading a DVD already inside the player or just doesn’t open at all.  I have to press the button a couple of times to get it to open, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong at that point.  This function seems to work fine with the remote control.

Warranty

As a Coby product, it comes with a Limited Warranty with a 90 Days Labor and 1 Year Parts Warranty.

Should one have any problems, Coby is simple to contact.  Their technical support can be reached by telephone Monday through Friday 1-800-727-3592 from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST.  Their email is techsupport@cobyusa.com.

Another telephone number to reach them is 1-718-416-3197.

Coby Electronics Corporation Technical Support
150 Knowlton Way
Savannah, GA 31407

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found at their website http://www.cobyusa.com/.

Final Thoughts

When all is said and done at the end of the day, we can kick back and watch our favorite movies and adjust the sounds to our liking.  We dim the lights and pull out the popcorn and await our long deserved horror movie.

“They make things too complicated these days.  All I wanted to do was just watch a movie.” ~ seracorde11

Thanks for reading.

Pyle PT598AS 5.1 Channel 350 Watt Digital Home Theater AM/FM Receiver Surround Sound Package

Sony 5.1 Channel DVD Home Theater System - DAV-TZ140

Sony 5.1 Channel DVD Home Theater System - DAV-TZ140

5.1 Ch Surround Sound/ BRAVIA Sync/ Multi-Format Disc Playback/ HDMI And Composite Video Outputs/ 1080p Upscaling/ Black Finish
Abt Electronics

Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater Sound Bar and Subwoofer System

Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater Sound Bar and Subwoofer System

Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater Sound Bar and Subwoofer System Type SoundBar Connectors Wired Color Black Parts 1 year limited Labor 1 year limited
Newegg.com

Yamaha 5.1 Channel Home Theater in a Box with 8 Subwoofer

Yamaha 5.1 Channel Home Theater in a Box with 8 Subwoofer

Get your popcorn ready. With the YHT-399UBL home theater system, you can bring Hollywood-quality cinema sound right into your living room for hours of...
QVC

Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

Onkyo 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

Enjoy theater-like sound effect with the feature-packed, high performing Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 speaker system. With an active subwoofer and passive sate...

Samsung HT-H6500WM - Home theater system - 5.1 channel

Samsung HT-H6500WM - Home theater system - 5.1 channel

Experience the groundbreaking smart home theater with full web browsing, cutting-edge TV apps and much more to enhance the home theater experience. Sm...
Dell

Bose - RC-35S2 Expansion Remote for Lifestyle V35/V25 Systems, Home Theater

Bose - RC-35S2 Expansion Remote for Lifestyle V35/V25 Systems, Home Theater

Bose RC-35S2 Expansion Remote for Lifestyle V35/V25 Systems The Bose RC-35S2 Expansion Remote is specifically designed to expand your Lifestyle V25/V3...
Adorama

Yamaha Rx-a2020 9.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Apple Airplay

Yamaha Rx-a2020 9.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver With Apple Airplay

RX-A2020 - Yamaha 9.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver with Apple Airplay 9-channel amplifier 140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% T...

Sony BDV-N7200W  5.1 channel home theater system

Sony BDV-N7200W 5.1 channel home theater system

5.1 channel home theater system powered home theater system with 4K upconversion, 3D Blu-ray player/receiver, 5 speakers (including wireless rear spea...
Crutchfield