Coby MP705 Black ( 4 GB ) Digital Media Player Reviews

Coby MP705 Black ( 4 GB ) Digital Media Player

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Sort of like if Fisher Price made mp3 players...

Aug 27, 2008
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Sound:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Pros:It plays music well and charges quickly

Cons:The video capabilities are less than stellar

The Bottom Line: For a low-cost music player, it's okay. For other "Digital Media", this is not full of win. You can do better, but it's not horrible.

I wanted an mp3 player that didn't cost a lot. Really, my needs for a product like this weren't that demanding: That music could be loaded into it, maybe some video, and that it worked.

I'm not very good with figuring out how to make modern electronics work, either; even what might seem simple to you, like plugging the USB cable into your computer and the player at the same time makes my eye start to twitch and my temples start to throb. But with a little bit of persistence, I managed it.

The video wasn't even worth loading, because the sound and video doesn't even keep up with each other. Think of like when you watch a Godzilla movie dubbed in English. Yeah, that. So shortly after the video was uploaded it, I deleted it off of the unit. As it's only 1GB, it's not going to hold much anyway, so I was better off reserving the space for music.

I've got about 200 songs in it, and I guess some of the mp3 files aren't compressed enough, or some of my selections that I've put on it are just too long, because it claims it can hold a lot more. So I'll take responsibility that why it doesn't hold as much as it claims to isn't the case with mine.

When my son first saw my mp3 player, he burst into laughter. He's the one who asked me if it was a Fisher Price model. Now, I like Coby's products, sometimes. They make some pretty nice high-endish products with definitely low-end prices, like the portable DVD player that I got very cheaply and that my son used for about 4 years before it finally died. I don't think that was a bad shelf life considering the extensive use it got on car trips.

But my son is an iPod aficionado, and his gift of choice on holidays are iTunes gift cards. I will say that it's much easier for him to put new music on his player than it is for me on mine, because I haven't figured out how to put music on this except for the "hard way"--it requires an elusive "E" drive (or is it "F"? I'm not sure and I'll explain that in a minute), that only appears when the USB cable is connected to the player.

The first time I tried to load the songs in the /MyMusic folder on my PC (I can't take them out of his iTunes unless I burn them to disc and then refeed them into the PC, and he and I don't have that similar of taste in music anyway), I made a huge mistake. I transferred the music directly to the player, and for reasons I still can't explain, the music then DISAPPEARED from my system..forever.

Fortunately I still had the original CDs and was able to refeed them back onto my hard drive, but it was a little unnerving to see data just erase from my computer that way.

So now I do that "Copy to" feature, and that way, the originals in my /MyMusic folder stay there.

As the player doesn't hold much, I've put my more classic selections in that I listen to for years. Sure, that could get boring if I used it as much as my son uses his iPod, but I don't. I use it sometimes when I'm having trouble sleeping, or if I'm out walking. It was also a godsend when I had a 5-day hospital stay in June, to drown out my screaming 84-year old roommate and her equally loud visitors.

The controls are very basic, and there are no real bells and whistles to it. It's not high-tech, the storage capacity is laughable when compared to others on the market, but it's okay for me. The ear buds aren't as comfortable as the iPod either, but you can pick up a set of headphonoes you find more comfortable just about anywhere.

The charger is nice, and it recharges pretty quickly. For this to be called a "Digital Media" player and not just an mp3 player is sort of pushing it a little bit.

It's good for me and my relatively small needs and wishes, but if you want more, the market has a glut of mp3 players of all storage sizes and abilities. I'd say this is definitely the Poor Man's player, and if you bought it for an average teenager, you'd probably get laughed at and asked if you kept the receipt to make a return.

Recommended for: Beginners - Easy Enough for Tech Newbies

Coby MP957-4G 5 Inch 4GB HD Video Player with HDMI - Black (Discontinued by manufacturer)

Features: Brand Name : Coby Model : MP957-4G Digital Storage Capacity : 4 GB Color Name : Black Display : TFT LCD See more technical details Short Des...
Coby MP620 4 GB Video MP3 Player with FM Radio (Red)

Coby MP620 4 GB Video MP3 Player with FM Radio (Red)

Introducing the Coby MP620 Video and MP3 Player. This player combines the features you expect with easy-to-use controls refined by years of experience...
Coby MP828-8G 8 GB 2.8-Inch Video MP3 Player (Black) (Discontinued by manufacturer)

Feature: Touch Sensitive Screen Product Information: Coby MP828-8G MP3 Player with 2.8 Inch color TFT LCD with intuitive touchscreen video MP3 Player ...

Feature : Touch Sensitive Screen Product Information: Coby MP828-8G MP3 Player with 2.8 Inch color TFT LCD with intuitive touchscreen video MP3 Player...
Coby MP620 4 GB Video MP3 Player with FM Radio (Red) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

Feature: NINETY DAYS Product Information: Coby's MP620 Video and MP3 Player offers playback of music, videos, photos, and text files, with intuitive n...

Features: NINETY DAYS Short Description: Coby's MP620 Video and MP3 Player offers playback of music, videos, photos, and text files, with intuitive na...

Coby MP620-4GBLK 4 GB Video MP3 Player with FM Radio (Black)

Product Features Capacity: 4 GB Color: Black Technical Details Brand Name : Coby Model : MP620-4GBLK Digital Storage Capacity : 4 GB Color Name : Blac...

Coby MP620-2G 1.8-Inch Video MP3 Player (Black)
Coby MP823 8 GB Black Flash Portable Media Player - Audio Player, Video Player, Photo Viewer, FM Tuner - 2 38720 Pixel Color L