Coleman Queen Flocked QuickBed 5998g320

Camp In Style: Coleman Queen Size Air Mattress.

Jul 20, 2004

Pros:Large size, fold compactly, good for car camping.

Cons:Will not replace your spring mattress, not for backpacking, requires air pump.

The Bottom Line: An acceptable mattress for camping if you have the room for it.

I bought this for my wife because I thought she would be more comfortable on our camping trips. It ended up being a good investment that both of us are happy with. Although not perfect, it is well designed.

What is it?
This is a queen size air mattress. This requires an external air source for inflation purposes.

How does it setup?
Set up is very simple. Roll it out. Open up the first valve (not the whole cap) insert your air pump and turn it on. In a couple of minutes the mattress will be inflated.

How does it deflate?
Just as easy as inflating it. You unscrew the entire cap, valve and all. This causes an immediate loss of pressure and the air escapes. Leave it for about 10 minutes. Then go back to the mattress and start to fold it over while pushing the remaining air out.

Comfort
I would call the comfort level average. This is not something I would want to sleep on at home. But for camping it is quite comfortable.
I fill it up as much as it will go (within reason) so that I can have a nice firm mattress. I do not like the feeling of sinking into the mattress. Every night I have used it I have slept very well. Any time I have woken up it has not been because of the mattress. I have not slid off the mattress, felt cold, or developed any sore spots because of it.

About the top
The top of the mattress is made of a cheap cloth like material. It appears totally synthetic. What is does is helps you stick to the mattress by adding some additional friction. If you happen to be on a light slope you should be fine. But if you are on a typical plastic mattress then you would definitely slide off during the night. If you are sleeping on a steep slope then you need to make an appointment with your doctor and have your head examined.

Durability
I have had it for over a year and so far there is no damage or problems with the mattress. I have had no leaks or sudden loss of pressure. The pressure will keep for at least 3 nights (I have never used it for more than 3 nights in a row yet.)
My son has also jumped on the mattress without permission. Being 40 pounds that is not a lot of weight but still the mattress seemed to handle the pressure pretty well. But I can guarantee you that if he keeps doing that for a few more camping trips then my wife and I will start to have problems.
I like my camping equipment to last ten years. Most of my equipment does that because I insist on quality equipment. Mattress are the exception and I only expect them to last 5 years at the most. This mattress, being what it is, I only expect to last another 2 years. After that I will look into a cot or pull out the mats I use for backpacking.

Does the air leak out during the night?
In my case the answer is no. But I have read several reviews where people have had this problem. Maybe I got lucky. But I am really glad that I do not have this problem, had I had this problem then it would have been returned very quickly.

Cleaning
Cleaning this has been fairly easy. All I do is get a damp cloth and wipe down the mattress. This takes care of any dust. I have not had any real stains or other problems because I do not allow food in my tent. My son did get the mattress dirty by jumping all over it but it did not hurt the mattress in any way.

Accessories
The only real accessories are air pumps. Coleman makes some models as do other companies but here are the basic descriptions.
-Portable air pump that is run on 2-4 d cell batteries.
-Portable air pump that is rechargeable.
-Air pump that requires a cigarette lighter connection or an AC outlet. Some of these are also rechargeable and usually more powerful then the “portable”versions. They are also bigger and more expensive.
Expect to pay between 20 and 40 dollars for a pump. Or less if you get a hand pump.

Who is this for?
-Car camping for a amorous couple.
-Large tents (this will take the space of 4 small mats.)
-Hide away bed for unexpected guests.

Weight and dimensions
Weight: 7.2 pounds
Lengthxwidthxheight when folded: 22x18x5 inches
(The previous measurements were made by myself.)
Length: 74 inches*
Width: 54 inches*
Height: 6 inches*
(*From the website)

Other options
They also come in double, twin, and king sizes. Some of these mats have a pump built in. Coleman has made minor improvements to the line with a slight increase in price.

Summary:
This is a queen size air mattress that is easy to use. It does require an air pump and is not the most comfortable mattress to sleep on. But if you need something that can get out of the way when deflated then this is one of your best choices. It is also a good option if you wish to make your wife more comfortable on camping trips.

Other outdoor products that a family may need for camping.
REI Piggyback, child carrier backpack.
REI Base Camp 6.
Coleman 2 burner stove.
Kelty sun shade

Coleman Quickbed Air Bed-queen. 5998m320

Coleman Quickbed Air Bed-queen. 5998m320

Item Description: Whether you're camping or surprised by company, this Coleman air mattress provides a comfortable bed, and fast. Durable, heavy-duty ...

Coleman Queen-size Flocked Quickbed With Battery-operated Pump Combo

Coleman Queen-size Flocked Quickbed With Battery-operated Pump Combo

••• Payments • Sales Tax • Shipping • Returns • Warranty • International Limitations ••• Please Note:This item has been made/bui...

Coleman Double High QuickBed Queen Air Bed

Coleman Double High QuickBed Queen Air Bed

Features Queen 35 Comfort Coils Double Lock Valve Airtight System Wrap 'N' Roll Storage System Get in and out of bed easier with a Coleman QuickBed Qu...
MidwayUSA

Coleman Quickbed Queen Suede Airbed

Coleman Quickbed Queen Suede Airbed

You are bidding on:Coleman QuickBed Queen Suede Airbed This airbed from Coleman features a wrap 'n' roll storage system. This queen air mattress also ...

Coleman Premium QuickBed with Built-In Pump - Queen Multicolor - 2000015765

Coleman Premium QuickBed with Built-In Pump - Queen Multicolor - 2000015765

Shop for Air Mattresses from Hayneedle.com! Look to the Coleman Premium QuickBed with Built-In Pump - Queen for a rejuvenating night s sleep anywhere,...
Hayneedle

Coleman Quickbed Queen Pad with 4D QuickPump One Color, One Size

Coleman Quickbed Queen Pad with 4D QuickPump One Color, One Size

Inflate the Coleman Quickbed Queen Pad with 4D QuickPump and sleep comfortably in your tent. Its heavy-duty PVC construction and the AirTight System e...
Backcountry.com

Coleman Quickbed Double-High Queen-Size Airbed With 120V Pump

Coleman Quickbed Double-High Queen-Size Airbed With 120V Pump

The Coleman Quickbed Double-High Queen-Size Airbed with 120V Pump includes a queen-size airbed and a 120V pump.
Academy Sports and Outdoors

Coleman Extra High Queen Quickbed

Coleman Extra High Queen Quickbed

Designed with extra height, this Coleman queen airbed provides extra cushion and 48 internal coils for superior support. With an airtight system, this...
Coleman QuickBed Queen Airbed with 4D Pump

Coleman QuickBed Queen Airbed with 4D Pump

Find sleeping pads, airbeds and cots at Target.com! This queen-size air mattress from coleman is made with an exclusive pvc formula that is 15% more p...