Aug 22, 2004
a Very Helpful Review
by the Epinions community
Pros:Quick heat-up, many heat settings, great spring tension, swivel cord, price, auto shut-off, attractive design
Cons:on/off buttons can stick, spring can break
The Bottom Line: This is a great curling iron with lots of features for the price. You will not be disappointed!
I think I have the straightest hair on the earth. Seriously, though. Even my stylist, who sees hundreds of heads a week is always shocked at just how straight mine really is once she washes it. You'd never know just how bad off I am in that department, though, because I am a heat styling addict. I frequently blow-dry it to try to add in more body. You can read about a great blow-dryer here! http://www.epinions.com/content_69822156420
Recommend this product?
But just drying my hair is never enough. I absolutely must curl it before going out. Almost every single day I spend 10 minutes or so with my very trusted friend, the Conair Instant Heat 1" curling iron.
1. Things are heating up!- One great thing about this curling iron, especially given the limited time I have in the morning to get myself ready while taking care of 2 kids, is that I don't have to wait on it to heat up much at all. It says it takes 60 seconds to heat up, which in itself is a great number, but what you have to keep in mind is that this curling iron has 15 heat settings. These settings (1 is the coolest, 15 is the hottest) allow you to customize your curling experience so that you can curl your hair on the lowest necessary heat setting to avoid damage. This also means that while it may take 60 seconds for it to heat up to 15, it only takes 30-40 seconds for it to heat up to 9 (the number I frequently use). That's pretty quick if you ask me!
2. All tied up- Another great feature of this curling iron is its swiveling cord. Rather than being stationary and constantly getting all twisted up and being a pain to untangle (like all the curling irons I have owned in the past) this one swivels at the base so that you avoid getting it all twisty.
3. Very fancy- This curling iron looks great. It has a royal blue handle with a unique-looking plastic grip. The plastic is translucent, so it looks pretty cool when the light catches it just right. The barrel of the curling iron is made of chrome. I have never had any real problems with this curling iron accumulating any stying build-up, but if you did, you could just wipe it down with a damp cloth while it is cool. The textured finger grip and the 1 inch cool-touch tip at the end is also made of the blue translucent plastic material.
4. In addition- There are two silver buttons above the heat control dial that turn this curling iron off and on.
It has an automatic shut-off feature in case you are absent-minded like me and leave it on all the time. It also has a little chrome prop to hold it up off of the bathroom counter. The spring that maintains tension on your hair is plenty tight enough to hold even my thin, fine hair in place. It also claims to have dual voltage, I guess in case you are traveling abroad (?) but I have no experience with this feature.
5. Durability- I have personally owned 3 of these curling irons, my mother has owned 4, and my sister has owned two. Therefore, I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on them and their ability to perform over time. I will warn you that on 2 of these curling irons (that makes 2 out of 9) these off/on buttons became very difficult to push over time.
Every time any of us has replaced this curling iron, it has been because the tension spring broke. This means that there is very little force holding the barrel closed while you are trying to curl your hair. You still can, sort of, but it is very time-consuming and inconvenient, especially if it breaks when you are only halfway done curling your hair (as it did to me once). We all like the curling iron well enough to keep buying them, though. My mother has even taken to keeping an extra on hand in case the spring breaks, which if history holds true, each one will after about a year and a half of typical use.
Spring issues aside, this is a great curling iron. Especially for the price. It really does hold up pretty well, and it works great on all of our hair. It is by far the best curling iron I have ever tried (and make no mistake- I've tried a lot of them!) and I can assure you that if/when the spring breaks on this one, I will be replacing it with the exact same model.
For a comprehensive list of all the sizes and styles of Conair curling irons available, you can go to
Read more product reviews on Conair 1' Instant Heat Curling Iron
Write a Review
Share this product review with your friends