Consumer Cellular

Cheap and good enough, but some bumps

Aug 15, 2011
  • User Rating: Very Good

• Local Coverage:
  • Plan Flexibility:
  • Customer Service:

Pros:Inexpensive, supports unlocked GSM phones, messages and data VERY inexpensive

Cons:Minimal support, no self-serve support, signal strength inconsistent

The Bottom Line: Worth a try for light to medium users who need an inexpensive plan more than they need support.

I had been using a T-Mobile pre-paid plan until I acquired friends in their 20's who do nothing but text, text, text. My monthly expenses tripled and I needed a plan with cheap messaging.

Consumer Cellular is a reseller for AT&T Wireless and they offer voice and message/data plans geared for light to medium users. I was able to get a voice plan for $20 with more minutes than I have ever needed, and add a messaging plan with more than enough capacity for just $10 more. Plus, the messaging plan includes data, so if I ever decide to go with a smart phone I'm covered. Again, this combination was a great fit because I'm a light user compared to most people today, and my cell phone is just to supplement my land line phone.

But the inexpensive plans come with a few bumps.

The free Motorola WX345 phone I got comes with only a "Getting Started" booklet. Turns out Motorola doesn't even make a detailed user's guide for this phone. There are no detailed instructions available for the camera functions, the web browser, or the phone settings.

The company's web site offers no self-service options beyond changing your plans. No usage statistics, no online address book back-up, no archive of messages. Live customer service is NOT available 24 hours / 7 days, and the days and hours are not displayed on their web site. The only way to find out is to call for support and be prepared to be disappointed. At least there's a number to call for a voice-bot to tell you your minute and message usage.

The Consumer Cellular web site for downloadable media like ring tones and wallpaper did not work correctly with my phone. I got charged $2.99 for a ring tone that never successfully downloaded. However, I was able to post MP3 ring tones and wallpaper images on my personal web site and download then with no problem. But I doubt most users are willing to go to those lengths.

The most serious problem for me is that the signal strength will vary from 1 to 4 bars with the phone just sitting on my desk in my apartment. Incoming voice calls usually get dropped as soon as I answer them. Consumer Cellular offered to upload new firmware to my phone but I haven't seen any sign of it changing anything.

Fortunately Consumer Cellular offers a "30 days or 30 minutes" return policy so you can test drive their service and phones to be sure they'll give you what you want. They're definitely worth a try if you're not a "mobile only" phone user.

Consumer Cellular Doro Pre-Paid Cell Phone - Red (626)

Consumer Cellular Doro Pre-Paid Cell Phone - Red (626)

Find cell phones at Target.com! Consumer cellular doro pre-paid cell phone - red (626)

Consumer Cellular Huawei Ascend Mate 2 Pre-Paid Cell Phone - Black (Vision 2)

Consumer Cellular Huawei Ascend Mate 2 Pre-Paid Cell Phone - Black (Vision 2)

Find cell phones at Target.com! Consumer cellular huawei ascend mate 2 pre-paid cell phone - black (vision 2)

Consumer Cellular Huawei Ascend Mate 2 Pre-Paid Cell Phone - Black (Smartphone)

Consumer Cellular Huawei Ascend Mate 2 Pre-Paid Cell Phone - Black (Smartphone)

Find cell phones at Target.com! Consumer cellular huawei ascend mate 2 pre-paid cell phone - black (smartphone)

- Huawei Pillar - Black (cricket) Cellular Phone

- Huawei Pillar - Black (cricket) Cellular Phone

New - Huawei Pillar - Black (Cricket) Cellular Phone

Pantech Caper Black Verizon Cellular Phone Prepaid,new Never Been Used,black

Pantech Caper Black Verizon Cellular Phone Prepaid,new Never Been Used,black

Pantech Caper Black Verizon Cellular Phone PREPAID ~~~NEW NEVER BEEN USED~~~~Black~~Technical Details 2.2-inch TFT LCD display; Candy Bar form factor ...

Pantech Ease P2020 - Blue (at&t) Cellular Phone

Pantech Ease P2020 - Blue (at&t) Cellular Phone

Pantech Ease P2020 AT T GSM New Touch Screen With Qwerty Keyboard Package contents:New Pantech Ease P2020 AT T Battery Battery door Charger User guide...

Lg 101 - Black (virgin Mobile) Cellular Prepaid Phone

Lg 101 - Black (virgin Mobile) Cellular Prepaid Phone

Up for auction is a new PayLo LG101 prepaid wireless phone.The item is from a retail store and has not been opened.Payment is required within 4 days o...

Lg 320g - Black (net10) Cellular Phone

Lg 320g - Black (net10) Cellular Phone

Please contact us through email with any questions. We will answer them as best and quickly as we can. As always, thanks for looking and have a great ...

Sony Ericsson T303 - Pink (unlocked) Cellular Phone In Box With Original Acc

Sony Ericsson T303 - Pink (unlocked) Cellular Phone In Box With Original Acc

Sony Ericsson T303 - Pink (Unlocked) Cellular Phone New in box with original accessories please note this is a Triband phone GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 Gen...