-45%
Convatec Sensi Care Paste Skin Care (768455108312) Reviews

Convatec Sensi Care Paste Skin Care (768455108312)

+$3.95 shipping ADW Diabetes
+$4.99 shipping Swanson Health Products

Diaper Rash Cream: Sensi Care Cream for Incontinence, Adult Diapers and Bed Bound Patients

Aug 22, 2011 (Updated Apr 22, 2012)

Pros:Fragrance free, alcohol free, non-irritating. Provides an effective moisture barrier.

Cons:Can be difficult to wash off.

The Bottom Line: Recommended because it works very well as a barrier for protecting the skin.  It also soothes chaffed skin.

With the loss of bowel and bladder control (incontinence) the affected areas of the skin may become irritated and damaged. When dealing with situations involving prolonged incontinence maintaining skin integrity and protecting it from damage are top priorities. When caring for incontinent patients I use ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protection Barrier Cream Skin Protectant, 4 ounce. It helps manage and protect the skin from irritation.

The Protective Barrier Cream

ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protection Barrier Cream Skin Protectant, 4 oz. is a thick white cream that works as a moisture barrier on the skin of incontinent individuals. The petroleum based cream with zinc oxide is fragrance and alcohol free and doesn’t contain dyes, preservatives or harsh chemicals. The cream provides a protective barrier against moisture and bacteria.

The cream is supplied in a squeezable tube with a flip-top cap. Simply squeeze the desired amount of Sensi-Care Barrier Cream onto your hand and liberally apply onto the affected areas of the skin.

Using ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protection Barrier Cream

The affected areas of the skin need to be clean and dry before applying the Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Cream. I’ve always used a warm wet washcloth (the softest cloth that I can find) with a mild soap for cleaning the skin before I apply the cream. I don’t use pre-packaged cleansing cloths because a lot of them tend to irritate the skin, especially if they contain alcohol.

After cleaning the skin I pat it dry with a clean dry cloth. When possible I prefer to leave the cleaned area uncovered and open to air before I apply the Sensi-Care Barrier Cream. Once the skin is clean and dry I liberally apply the cream onto the vulnerable areas of the skin – groin, buttocks, upper thigh creases. Using an entire 4 ounce tube of the Sensi-Care Cream within a one week period is not uncommon.

ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Cream is also useful for bedridden individuals who are not incontinent. Repeated bedpan and urinal usage can often cause chaffing and irritation. Applying the Sensi-Care cream onto the aggravated skin has provided soothing relief for the individuals that I’ve cared for.

Complications when using the ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Cream

I’ve used the Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Cream on many incontinent individuals and have never noticed increased irritation as a result of using the cream. Prolonged skin irritation is usually due to the ongoing incontinence issue, the plastic undergarments and bed protector pads that are often used. But anything is possible, so check with your doctor if you experience increased irritation while using the barrier cream.

Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Cream should not be applied to open wounds or weepy skin areas unless advised by a doctor. In a hospital setting the cream is sometimes used on patients experiencing the early stages of bedsores, but these situations are closely monitored by medical professionals. For home use, consult with a doctor before applying the protective barrier cream onto open wounds.

Since the Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Cream is very thick, removing the cream from the skin takes some work. Removing the cream with one heavy swipe of a washcloth is nearly impossible and would be very uncomfortable for the individual wearing the cream. I’ve always used several gentle swipes with a warm wet washcloth when removing the cream. This method is a bit time consuming and tedious but has proven to be most beneficial.

Where to Buy the ConvaTec Sensi-Care Barrier Cream

ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protection Barrier Cream 4 oz. can be purchased at medical supply stores and various online sources.  Drugstores like CVS and Rite-Aid usually don’t carry this product.  It is available without prescription.  Prices vary, whenever I’d find the cream in the $10 - $12 range I would stock up.  Stocking up is always a good idea if you’re using the cream regularly, especially since bulk purchases are often discounted.

Overall…

I’ve been very satisfied with the ConvaTec Sensi-Care Protection Barrier Cream. I’ve used it regularly in a hospital setting while providing direct patient care, in home care, and while caring for my own family members. It provides soothing relieve to irritated skin and provides a beneficial protective barrier when incontinence occurs. When used early and regularly it has helped in the prevention of skin damage.

Convatec Sensi-Care Protective Barrier Tube 4oz provides a barrier that guards fragile and sensitive skin, adheres to weepy, denuded skin. Contains pe...
ADW Diabetes

Sensi-Care Protective Barrier 4 oz Cream - Sensi-Care Protective Barrier skin protectant lotion adheres to and helps treat denuded skin. It's easy to ...
Swanson Health Products
Features: Sensi-Care Protective Barrier specially formulated to sooth and protect sensitive, fragile and irritated skin. Prevents further skin irritat...