Cooking.com Stainless Steel Turkey/Roast Lifter Chain Reviews

Cooking.com Stainless Steel Turkey/Roast Lifter Chain

Tote that turkey, lift that roast

May 4, 2003

Pros:Simple, easy to use and clean, effective

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Why didn't anyone think of this sooner?

Thanksgiving 1962. I was in college in Iowa, my first year away from home for the holiday. My parents lived on the East coast, and didn’t have the money to fly me home. And I wasn’t about to spend two days on the train for two days at home.

What to do?

My sister, married a little over two years, lived in Cleveland with her medical-student husband. So it was agreed that I would spend Thanksgiving with them.

Now keep in mind that this was ten years before I discovered the pleasures of cooking. And my sister, to this day, never has.

So we got busy on Thanksgiving morning. With the help of four SOS phone calls to Mom, we managed to stuff and roast the bird without too many disasters. Yeah, Mom had advised us to put a clean tea-towel over the top of the bird to prevent premature browning but had neglected to tell us when to remove it, so we had a charred towel to chip off the bird. And the mashies were a bit lumpy. But there were no real horror stories.

Well... there was one, sort of.

We wanted to slide the roasting pan out far enough to baste the beast, so we opened the oven door, pulled the pan out onto it... and the hinges gave way, the door flipped down flat against the stove, and said bird clattered onto the floor and skittered across it, coming to rest under the dinette table. But other than that...

Wait - there was one more.

We had no idea how to remove the turkey from the pan onto the carving board. I mean, it was slippery and regrettably lacking in handles. So we stabbed it through the stuffing with a serving fork and between the two of us, wrestled it out of the pan. And just as we were lowering it gently onto the board, the cooked meat gave way over the fork and it fell with a thud. This was a very well-traveled bird.

If only we’d had a Cooking.com Stainless Steel Turkey/Roast Lifter Chain.

WHAT IT IS AND HOW TO USE IT

• This is a stainless steel contraption designed to make it easy to lift the cooked beast out of the roasting pan and onto the carving board or serving platter.

• It consists of two chains, about 19" each, connected at each end by a 5" stainless steel handle. Connecting the chains at the midway point is another piece of 5" stainless, to hold the chains parallel.

• To use it, lay it across the roasting pan with the handles hanging over the edge. Put the bird on top of it. When roasting is done, simply grasp the handles and lift the bird out of the pan. If you use a roasting rack, the Cooking.com Stainless Steel Turkey/Roast Lifter Chain can be laid across it in the same manner.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

• It’s simple in design.

• It’s easy to wash; just put it in the small-items or silverware bin of your dishwasher, or scrub it with a stiff soapy dish brush. (I suggest washing, or at least soaking, it ASAP, before the fat and gunk can dry in the chain links.)

• It’s easy to store. I keep mine in a sandwich-sized zip-lock baggie so the chain doesn’t get tangled with the other stuff in the drawer. You can also wrap a rubber band around it.

• It works. It’s effective. You can lift any size bird or roast out of the roasting pan with no muss, no fuss, no bother.

WHAT I’D CHANGE ABOUT IT

• The only warning associated with this item is that, because it’s conductive metal, it will get very hot in the oven. So be sure to use mitts or potholders when you handle it.

SUMMARY AND VERDICT

I’ve seen this gadget for sale at Sur la Table, Target, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and other places that sell kitchen tools. They are all priced within the same range - between $4.50 and $5.00.

This is such a simple, intuitive tool that I’m surprised that it’s only been on the market for a few years. No more stabbing the bird with the fork, or trying to slide it sideways out of the pan and onto the carving board. This tool makes it easy to lift even the biggest turkey or roast easily and safely. Five stars.

*****

ROAST TURKEY WITH CRANBERRY CORN BREAD STUFFING

Yes, this recipe does indeed have only three ingredients. But you can add whatever add-ons you like to the stuffing mix: celery, sausage, nuts, whatever. I usually add about half a cup of celery and a handful of toasted pine nuts or peeled hazelnuts. Also, fresh hens are the most moist, tender, and flavorful, but need to be ordered in advance. Toms are bigger, of course, and frozen will do if fresh isn’t available.

Ingredients
two 16-oz. cans whole-berry cranberry sauce
one 14-oz bag corn bread stuffing mix, plus your add-ons
one 12-14-lb. turkey, giblets removed, rinsed and dried

Procedure

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

In a non-reactive saucepan, bring 1˝ cups of water to a boil.

Add one can of cranberry sauce and stir until melted and well combined.

Pour over the stuffing in a bowl and mix gently until stuffing is thoroughly moistened.

Season the stuffing and the cavity of the bird with salt and pepper.

Spoon the stuffing very loosely into the body and neck cavities.

Fold the loose skin over the stuffing and tie the drumsticks together.

Lay the Cooking.com Stainless Steel Turkey/Roast Lifter Chain over a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.

Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast or thigh, but don’t let it touch bone.

Roast the turkey for two hours.

Spoon fat from the surface of the pan drippings and mix the remaining drippings with the second can of sauce.

Spoon the sauce over the turkey and continue roasting another 2 to 2˝ hours, basting every 20 minutes, until the thermometer reads 170°F.

Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Use the Cooking.com Stainless Steel Turkey/Roast Lifter Chain to lift the turkey onto a carving board.

Remove the stuffing into a bowl and carve the turkey.

De-fat the pan drippings. Serve over stuffing and slices of turkey.

Stainless Steel Large Roasting Pan with Rack and Turkey Forks - 501631

Stainless Steel Large Roasting Pan with Rack and Turkey Forks - 501631

This larger sized roaster is ideal for turkeys and rib roasts. V-shaped nonstick roasting rack elevates foods to generate even cooking and browning. S...
All-Clad Stainless Steel Large Roasting Pan with Rack and Turkey Forks 501631

All-Clad Stainless Steel Large Roasting Pan with Rack and Turkey Forks 501631

All-Clad 501631 This larger sized roaster is ideal for turkeys and rib roasts. V-shaped nonstick roasting rack elevates foods to generate even cookin...
Wayfair

All-clad Stainless Steel Large Roasting Pan Non-stick Rack & Turkey Forks 501631

All-Clad Stainless Steel Large Roasting Pan Non-Stick Rack Turkey Forks 501631 Store About Us Shipping Policy Return Policy FAQs Contact Info All-Clad...

All-clad Stainless Steel Large Roasting Roti Pan Turkey Lifters & Rack 501631

All-clad Stainless Steel Large Roasting Roti Pan Turkey Lifters & Rack 501631

All-Clad Stainless Roti Pan Combo This larger sized roaster is ideal for turkeys and rib roasts. V-shaped nonstick roasting rack elevates foods to gen...

All-Clad Stainless Roasting Pan with Rack and Turkey Forks Home About Us Feedback FAQ Contact Us Add our store to your favorites and receive exclusi...

All-Clad 501631 Stainless Steel Large Roti Combo with Rack and Turkey Lifters Cookware, Silver

This is the quintessential item for cooking the annual turkey dinner for friends and family. A stainless steel roasting pan that provides the rugged d...
Stainless Steel Baster Injector Needle Roast Turkey Chicken Kitchen Cooking Bbq

Stainless Steel Baster Injector Needle Roast Turkey Chicken Kitchen Cooking Bbq

Product Details Brand New Factory Sealed Stainless steel with needle and brush Measures 11-inch/28cm This tool creates powerful suction to retrieve su...

Stainless Steel Turkey Reusable Pop Up Timer - Roast Poultry Chicken Thermometer This listing is for (1) brand new Heuck Stainless Steel Pop-Up Timer ...

Pop-up Timer Stainless Steel Turkey Roast Reusable Dishwasher Safe

Pop-up Timer Stainless Steel Turkey Roast Reusable Dishwasher Safe

NEW - REUSABLE STAINLESS STEEL POP-UP TIMER, THE SECRET TO A GREAT TURKEY, TAKES THE GUESSWORK OUT OF COOKING THE PERFECT TURKEY EVERY TIME, SIMPLE BU...

All-clad T167 Stainless Steel Turkey Forks And Set Of 2 Kitchen Tools Silver

All-clad T167 Stainless Steel Turkey Forks And Set Of 2 Kitchen Tools Silver

NEW All-Clad T167 Stainless Steel Turkey Forks and Set of 2 Kitchen Tools Silver $45.03 $60.95 The turkey lifters come in a set of two and can be used...