CorningWare pop-in mug

Corningware Colours Extra Large Mug

Mar 2, 2011

Pros:Holds a generous 20 ounces, comes with a lid for leftovers

Cons:Heavy, handle is small and not very comfortable to hold

The Bottom Line: I love the lid that comes with this oversized mug, very nice for heating leftovers and placing any remaining food in the fridge.

I have a hard time resisting a bargain, and when I saw an entire set of Corningware Colours for only $20, I didn't hesitate to pick it up.  Walmart was doing inventory and slashing prices on many items, so I got a huge discount on this set.

Two of the items included were the Corningware Colours 20 ounce Pop-in Mug with Cover.  Corning calls the color "red", but it isn't a true red, it is (in my opinion) more of a burgundy.

I often fix myself a bowl of soup for lunch and the occasional dinner, and this mug is perfect for serving such a food.  It is a generous 20 ounces, with a mouth opening of 5".  The opening is flared outward, with the actual dimensions inside being 4".  While the outside is red, the inside is a glossy glazed white.

Like all Corelle dinnerware, this is a stoneware that can be placed in the microwave, the freezer , the oven or the refrigerator.  Since it comes with a lid, I can easily snap it on and place any leftovers in my refrigerator.  And since the stoneware is a non-porous I don't have to worry about it absorbing any food odors from foods placed, stored in it., or food odors from my refrigerator itself.

Foods like spaghetti sauce will not stain its interior, and it can be safely washed in an automatic dishwasher.  The Corningware Colours 20 oz. Pop-in Mug comes with a one year warranty.

Prior to purchasing this set, I didn't even know that Corning made such mugs.  I have seen oversized soup mugs before, and that is what this reminds me of, since it has a handle on the side.  My hands are small, and I feel the handle could be larger.  A man with large hands would probably have a hard time holding this comfortably.  The opening is only 2" by 1 1/8", and I have coffee mugs with larger openings.  Even though my hands are small and fit the opening, I can't say this is a comfortable mug to hold.

Not only is the large mug great for heating soup in the microwave, but I use it in many other ways as well.  It is a great container for heating up leftovers, serving ice cream, or even enjoying a bowl of cereal.  I do have to be careful when heating foods in the microwave, however, because the handles will get hot.

The sides of the mug have vertical ridges running from the top to the bottom, just like the Corningware casserole dishes.  The bottom of my mug states that this stoneware item can even be placed in an oven, but it cannot be used under a broiler, or on a stovetop.  I was a bit disappointed to see that it has "Made in China" stamped on the bottom, but it seems like that is just the way it is these days.

At the Corningware website this mug retails for $9.99 each, which seems a bit expensive to me.  Although it has a lid, I wouldn't use this to travel with since the mug alone is heavy and it is breakable.  The empty mug weighs 1 pound 2 1/2 ounces, so when it is full it can be substantial to hold.

Despite the short comings, I really do like these mugs because of their ability to hold an entire can of soup, and if I can't eat al of my meal I simply snap the lids on and store the food in my refrigerator.

Special thanks to one of our Home & Garden leads, dlstewart, for adding this to Epinions for me!

CorningWare 20 oz. Pop-Ins White Mug With Lid-No Size, White

CorningWare 20 oz. Pop-Ins White Mug With Lid-No Size, White

CorningWare 20 oz. Pop-Ins French White Mug comes with a vented plastic lid and is perfect for reheating chili or soup at the office. Durable stonewar...
BeallsFlorida.com

Corningware French White Pop-Ins 22-oz Mug

Corningware French White Pop-Ins 22-oz Mug

Ideal for work, traveling or at home, this 22oz pop-ins mug is aptly named because you can just pop-it-in to the microwave or oven.

Corningware French White 20 oz. Mug with Vented Plastic Cover 1035985

Corningware French White 20 oz. Mug with Vented Plastic Cover 1035985

Corningware 1035985 The recipe for a great dish starts, unsurprisingly, with a great dish! CorningWare bakeware proves that when it comes to food pre...
Wayfair

Corningware 20 Ounce Pop In Mug

Color: Blue Product Information: Discover CorningWare Colors. Vibrance coupled with the versatility that's made CorningWare bake ware a true classic. ...
Corningware French White Pop-ins Mug W/ Vented Plastic Cover 20oz Blueberry

Corningware French White Pop-ins Mug W/ Vented Plastic Cover 20oz Blueberry

Discover CorningWare Colors. Vibrance coupled with the versatility that's made CorningWare bake ware a true classic. Timeless shapes meet contemporary...

Corningware  French White 8-Piece Pop Ins Mug set - Online Only

Corningware French White 8-Piece Pop Ins Mug set - Online Only

Corningware French White 8-Piece Pop Ins Mug set - Online Only. These ceramic mugs are great for oatmeal, chili, or other heated foods. The round bowl...
Belk

Corningware French White 8 Piece Pop-Ins Bake and Serve Set 1044081

Corningware French White 8 Piece Pop-Ins Bake and Serve Set 1044081

Corningware 1044081 These dishes can go from the hot oven right to your table top for a wonderful meal and very little fuss. Versatile yet stylish, t...
Wayfair

Corningware 20 Ounce Pop In Mug

Color: Green Product Information: Discover CorningWare Colors. Vibrance coupled with the versatility that's made CorningWare bake ware a true classic....
CorningWare French White Pop-Ins Mug with Vented Plastic Cover, 20-Ounce, Green Tea