Correctol

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Correctol Your Body's Plumbing

Feb 27, 2003

Pros:It works, is mild and I have had no adverse reactions.

Cons:Can be abused.

The Bottom Line: Correctol works and is mild. They are for occasional use only.

I am reviewing Correctol “The Woman’s Gentle Laxative.”

About Correctol:

Correctol is one of many products on the market to help with occasional constipation and irregularity. This is a serious review – I have no intention of making light of the problem. I have several laxatives and will mention below laxative abuse, a syndrome from which I do not suffer. I am constipated frequently however but have no medical problems that cause it. It often happens when I am traveling or eating differently than I usually do.

Correctol comes in a box of various numbers of tablets. I have a box of 10-coated tablets for which I paid $3.79. You can also buy boxes of 30 or 90 of these dark pink tablets.

They push out of the bubble package very easily. There is no need to have to peel any thing back or cut anything open.

There is a clear expiration date on the package, which is nice to see, and we are warned not to take them if the foil that has the word Correctol on it is not there.

Correctol, made by Shering-Plough, is designed for gentle, dependable overnight relief.

The claim is that if taken correctly Correctol should produce a bowel movement in 6 to 12 hours.

How to take these:

Adults and children 12 years of age and older should take 1 to 3 tablets at one time once a day. Children 6 to 12 years should take only 1 tablet a day and children under 6 should not take them unless your doctor has prescribed them.

They are small and coated so they are easy to swallow. I had to crush medication until I was 18 and you may also, but we are told not to chew or crush these. Since laxative works differently it is suggested that you start with 1 tablet and if that doesn’t work try 2 or 3 but no more than 3 a day. You should take these with water

Active Ingredients:
Bisacodyl- 5 mg - Bisacodyl is a stimulant laxative. Stimulant laxatives encourage bowel movements by acting on the intestinal wall. They increase the muscle contractions that move along the stool mass. Bisacodyl is coated to protect the stomach from irritation. http://www.fruit-eze.com/ingredients/bisacodyl.html

Inactive Ingredients:
Acetylated Monoglycerides; Calcium Sulfate; Carnauba Wax; D&C Red No. 7 Calcium Lake; Gelatin; Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose Phthalate; Lactose; Magnesium Stearate; Sugar; Talc; Titanium Dioxide; White Wax

Warnings:

I have already mentioned some but just to go over a few more I will list them:

”Do not take this product within 1 hour after taking an antacid or milk. Do not use laxative products when abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting are present unless directed by a doctor. If you have noticed a sudden change in bowel habits that persists over a period of 2 weeks consult a doctor before using a laxative. Laxative products should not be used for a period longer than 1 week unless directed by a doctor. Rectal bleeding or failure to have a bowel movement after use of a laxative may indicate a serious condition. Discontinue use and consult your doctor. This product may cause abdominal discomfort, faintness and cramps. As with any drug if you are pregnant or nursing a baby seek the advice of a health professional before using this product. Keep this and all drugs out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.” (From the box.)

How they work for me:

I like Correctol, though I find them no different than some other laxatives which I haven’t reviewed yet, such as Ex-Lax. They work much better, in my opinion, than Metamucil. I have never taken 3 in one day. The most I have taken is one or two at night and by morning will have to go to the bathroom.

Having recently had a Colonoscopy, which lets the doctor look inside your entire large intestine, from the lowest part,the rectum, and having to use Fleet I can assure you that Correctol is gentle! You will not spend a day in the bathroom, though you may find yourself in the bathroom a couple of times so don’t venture too far from one for a couple of hours in the morning. That has been my experience in any case.

Correctol doesn’t give me diarhea or pain. Correctol is marketed toward women, but there is nothing inherent in them, that makes them “for women only.”

Oftentimes, this one dose will be enough to make me regular, but if I am traveling I might need to take them for a couple of days and have never had any adverse affects.

Shering-Plough guarantees this product. If you aren’t satisfied you can return the unused tablets with a brief explanation to the company and they will refund your money.

Please leave me a comment if you have one or if you have any questions.

Information about laxative abuse and eating disorders can be found at http://www.eating-disorder.org/laxatives.html

“The overuse of laxatives is dangerous. People with eating disorders use laxatives as a way of ridding their body of unwanted calories and promoting weight loss. They also abuse laxatives because they are constipated as the small amounts of food they allow themselves does not provide enough to stimulate regular bowel movements. Those with eating disorder may take one laxative, two or even the entire box for one dosage. Many individuals have spent hours in the bathroom suffering the ill effects of laxatives. The effects can be painful and even lead to death………”

Good Sense Women's Laxative Tablets 30 Tabs

Good Sense Women's Laxative Tablets 30 Tabs

Women's Laxative Tablets 30 Tabs - Women's Laxative Tablets from Good Sense is a stimulant laxative with 5 mg of bisacodyl per tablet. Provides gentle...
Swanson Health Products