Craftmatic Craftmatic Model 1 Mattress Reviews

Craftmatic Craftmatic Model 1 Mattress

29 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: OK

This Bed Is Not Just For Old People!

Dec 4, 2002 (Updated Jun 22, 2004)

Pros:Great massages in bed, well that's a good thing!

Cons:can be pricey

The Bottom Line: We have really enjoyed this bed in all uses! If you can afford it, it's a good investment in my book!

Update: We are still enjoying our bed! I flip the mattress often to give us constant support and to help preserve them. I sleep well at night and the masasage still works well on my back, legs and neck. This bed is the way to go in my book.

Original Review Below

One of life’s pleasures is being able to relax while in bed. Being able to ease horrible pain caused by arthritis or other health problems. Being able to. Well I won’t go there, but you can get the picture. And you need a good bed to do these things on.

March of 2001 one of my favorites Aunt’s passed away. And after her funeral the nieces and nephews were allowed to go into her home and choose things they wanted by putting our names on them. This was because she had no children of her own. We all were her children over the years.

She had this beautiful Cherry Wood Bedroom furniture that I had always loved. There was the bed of course, chest of drawers, dresser, 2 nightstands and a vanity table with chair and later own she added a hope chest to the set. (I gave the hope chest to my mother, but one day I will get it back.)

When I went into the bedroom and saw that no one else had claimed the set, I was so happy and immediately put my name on the all the pieces. Sometime during the last 2 years of her life she had changed out the mattresses according to my other favorite Aunt, her sister and never slept on them because her health worsened and she had to be put into a home. So the mattresses were still new when I got the bed.

When we went back to her home about a month after her death to get our new bedroom set, imagine our surprise to find that the new mattresses were Craftmatic™ mattresses. My Aunt had been able to use her old Cherry Wood bed frame with them. I remember looking at my husband and telling him I was so sorry. That I didn’t realize that there was an old persons mattress with the set. And I was willing to leave them behind if that is what he wanted to do. He laughed at me and said “Listen Old Lady of Mine, you could really use this bed with your arthritis, so it’s a God send as far as I am concerned!” I said to him “I am not old! But you are most likely right!” And of course he was.

So he and our friend proceeded to take the bed apart and load it on the trailer to bring to our home. I am so glad that I was able to get this wonderful, precious gift from my Aunt. I wish she new just how much this bedroom set means to me, more than it did when I was a young girl.

The Bed

Ours is the Craftmatic™ Model 1 Adjustable bed and they are some of the best beds made on the market today in my opinion!

From the pamphlet:

“A Craftmatic™ Adjustable Bed is an intelligent investment in good health, good rest, and total relaxation! If your doctor recommends that you rest or sleep with either or both your upper body area or legs elevated, then a Craftmatic™ Adjustable Bed is "just what the doctor ordered!"

Ours has Dual Firm Mattresses that are slighty smaller than a twin bed mattress, but when together make a Queen size bed (60 X 80 total size). Please Note: From the pamphlet: "Dual Size beds consist of two side-by-side adjustable beds, each of which is 1/2 the indicated width. Craftmatic Adjustable Beds are available in all popular sizes. In the USA, Standard bed length for single and double/full size beds is 74". For queen and king size beds the standard bed length is 80" However, all bed widths are available in 74", 80" and 84" lengths to assure your comfort."

Craftmatic™ model 1 has an Optional Wireless Remote Control available but we don’t have this feature, our controls clip to the bed or in our case we just have them laying over the bedpost.

Our remotes are brown in color and are smooth. The on/off feature is easily found and you just press once to turn on and press once to turn off. There are arrows that demonstrate up/down positions. And we can program the control for our personal likes. We each have a remote.

There is a Variable Speed Massage System, which is really wonderful! When in the on position the bed will vibrate, which helps to soothe the pain.

And there is also an optional Personal Heat Control System, which is available if you want it, ours does not have this option either.

The mattresses are white in color!

One of the joys with the bed is that I can turn my massage on and adjust mine for me while my husband can do the same! Now I have to admit that sometimes he brings his side up a little higher than my side and this is annoying! But I deal with it because he is comfortable.

There was a 1 Year Limited Position Changing Mechanism Warranty (includes motors, gears, controls and electrical system.) But, like I said above, my Aunt had hers for at least 2 years before I got them. I have had them for almost two years and as of yet have had no problems. And I use it all the time!

Mattress Warranty: 15 year limited. Now I need to contact Craftmatic™ about my warranty but keep forgetting to do so. (Perhaps writing this review will help me to remember.)

Company Info

You can go to www.craftmatic.com click on the “contact us” link and fill out the form for free information or you can call your local dealer. That number you will have to look
for in your area phone book.

How I Feel

I loved my Aunt dearly and I am grateful for the chance to have this beautiful bedroom set, but I am also grateful for this bed. I like being able to adjust my side of the bed for my needs and I can turn the massage on low and go to sleep just fine. Now I admit it took getting use to the noise, but on low it is a low hum, high does project a louder hum. The bed will shut off after about 15 or 20 minutes on its own. This is wonderful!

The massage really helps the arthritis pain that I have daily. I can take a long hot bath and lie down for a bit, turn on the massage and just enjoy the pain going away. I have also found that when the Fybromyalgia flairs up that the massage will also help. And I have found that adjusting the bottom of the bed around the feet/legs that the muscles relax better.

I also have to admit that sometimes we play with the beds. We will bring both the top and the bottom up, like a sandwich, which is really funny and my son gets a big kick out of doing it. He does it more than we do! Bless his heart, he also likes the massage and sometimes I will catch him on my bed just massaging away!

I know there are some people in our church who have had a representative come out to their home about the beds. Their doctor recommended them and they did purchase a bed. In fact, not realizing that I already had one, they had given my name to the company and I received information on the beds in the mail. Of course the couple told me they had given my name and I told them I already had a bed and loved it. They love theirs as well.

Over all we have really enjoyed the beds and I do recommend looking into purchasing one if you have severe chronic arthritis like I do, for they do help to make a difference in the pain. However, I will not lie to you either, there are sometimes when these beds do no good at all. But, mostly they do!

I also have to say that prior to this bed/mattress set I had slept on a waterbed for over 15 years. I was concerned about going back to a regular mattress, but I have found the transition to be very easy. I was afraid my back would hurt and it has not. I was afraid that I would be uncomfortable but I have not been. From night one I have slept fairly well on these mattress. They are very comfortable. And it’s kind of nice having a regular bed to make!

Sorry I don't have a price because mine was free, but I believe that the bed cost around 3500.00 to 4000.00 dollars, depending on what kind of deal you cut with your local sales person.

I hope that this has helped in some kind of way,

God Bless!