Craftsman 18.5 Hp 42" Deck Lawn Tractor (27576) Reviews

Craftsman 18.5 Hp 42" Deck Lawn Tractor (27576)

DYT 4000

Jul 1, 2004 (Updated Jul 1, 2004)

Pros:Features, Cost, Automatic Transmission.

Cons:Seat could use denser foam.

The Bottom Line: I recommend this tractor, it makes mowing fun (for me at least) With all tractors, remember to read the safety manual!

I have the DYT 4000 Model 27364, It has the 18.5 Briggs and with the 42" Deck. I wanted a bigger one but I have 3 places in my yard with 43" of clearance, so this is the biggest I could get.

At first I was worried about the engine being too small but the tractor has more than enough power.

I took several readers advice and got the Automatic. I can not emphasize enough how great the automatic transmissions is, with one hand on the lever you can slow down to a creep to make a close turn then right back up to full speed. It is definably worth the $200 SEARS charges for it.

The tractor was delivered to me, and I did the full "before you start" pre-check and the tractor only needed a 1/4 inch adjustment to the deck. Most people would allow for that since it is in range, but not me.

Purchasing choice.

I read several reviews and tractor web forums, plus went to 5 different stores before choosing the DYT4000.

My final two choices came down to the John Deere L110 and the Craftsman DYT 4000. Largely because consumer reports showed them to be the most reliable having the fewest repairs of all major brands.

Feature wise they were pretty close. But the Craftsman came in at several Hundred dollars less.

But that is not what made the decision for me. I have some trouble with my right ankle, which made driving the John Deere very hard for me since the Forward and Reverse are controlled by your right foot. The Craftsman has a right hand control which lets my ankle rest! I am taking the money I saved and getting a nice new line trimmer.

First use:
I only mulch (Mulching is the equivalent of adding 4-1-3 fertilizer every time you cut the grass), and my yard was over do for a cut when the tractor was deliver. In the entire yard I had only one clump when I speed through some very tall (6 to 8 inch) St. Augustine grass. Once I reversed over the area and adjusted speed for the tall stuff that did not happen again.

Also, I have read many complaints about tractors having trouble in wet grass. Well most people should know you should only cut grass when it is DRY! Afternoons are best when the sun is not beating on you but has dried up the yard.

Notes:
Even if you have used a ridding tractor your entire life, review the manual it has several safety tips which make perfect sense yet I see people violate all the time.
Consumer reports also suggested that you use hearing protection with ALL tractors.
Also Note: that Safety issues are the main reason I did not give the product Excellent on the Ease of Use category. Although the Tractor is very easy, an operator need to learn a lot about safety before using ANY Lawn tractor. Every year preventable deaths and injures are caused by people not following the safety rules.

Another company called Kubota which makes great but expensive lawn tractors has a great safety site here:

I highly recommend reading this site no matter which tractor you purchase.

Craftsman 24HP 54 Complete Start Turn Tight Garden Tractor - Non CA 16 X 6.5 - 8

Craftsman 24 HP 54 in. Complete Start Garden Tractor Lets You Get Everything Done with One Vehicle The Craftsman 54 in. Complete Start Turn Tight gard...

Lawn Tractor Cover

Lawn Tractor Cover

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. Protects riding mowers against sun damage, rain, dust, birds and tree sap. The heavy-duty fabric w...
Home Depot

Classic Accessories Lawn Tractor Cover 73910

Classic Accessories Lawn Tractor Cover 73910

Classic Accessories 73910 Protect your tractor against sun damage, rain, dust, birds and tree sap with the classic lawn tractor cover. Dual vents let...
Wayfair

Sears Craftsman 44 Deck Lawn Tractor Mower Deck Rebuild Kit Belts Spindles

Sears Craftsman 44 Deck Lawn Tractor Mower Deck Rebuild Kit Belts Spindles

Sears Craftsman 44 Deck Lawn Tractor Mower Deck Rebuild Kit Description: Our mower deck rebuild kit includes:(1) Deck Belt - 1/2 x 78-1/2 - Replaces A...

Classic Accessories Lawn Tractor Cover   100948

Classic Accessories Lawn Tractor Cover 100948

Water resistant fabric Dual air vents allow air circulation Elastic shock cord in bottom hem provides quick custom fit Built-in storage bag Get protec...
Bass Pro Shops

Craftsman 6 bushel 2 - bin Soft Bagger for 46 Deck Lawn Tractors

Craftsman 6 bushel 2 - bin Soft Bagger for 46 Deck Lawn Tractors

Clean Up the Lawn with the Craftsman 2 Bin Soft BaggerThe Craftsman 6 bushel 2 bin soft bagger fits lawn tractors with a 46 inch deck to quickly and e...

Replacement Belt For 46 Deck Lawn Tractors Craftsman / Poulan / Husqvarna

Replacement Belt For 46 Deck Lawn Tractors Craftsman / Poulan / Husqvarna

Template By Froo! REPLACEMENT BELT FOR 46 DECK LAWN TRACTORS CRAFTSMAN / POULAN / HUSQVARNA REPLACEMENT BELT FOR 46 DECK LAWN TRACTORS. New. The Partn...

John Deere 15gal Tow Behind Sprayer 100psi Lawn Tractor

John Deere 15gal Tow Behind Sprayer 100psi Lawn Tractor

Lawn Tractor, Engine Power: 8 hp (6 kW), Cutting Width: 34 in. (86 cm)