Craftsman 1 Hp 3-Wire, Residential 4" Deep Well Submersible Pump 28404 (076607003898) Reviews

Craftsman 1 HP Deep Well Submersible Pump - Stainless Steel Construction for an Affordable Price

Oct 29, 2002

Pros:Stainless steel construction, priced attractively, reliable

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: The price is right, the construction is right, and it is very reliable.

Finding a site to drill your water well and the actual drilling for your well are only your first steps in the process of piping water to your home. The next step after your well has been drilled, is to make sure you select the right well pump which should be sized to the well, elevation difference of your home from the well, pumping level, friction losses and your water needs for your water flow.

Our Well and Pump

After selecting our home site on our acreage that sits on top of a mountain, we had to find a spot for the well that was away from where the septic tank was going to sit. The well site selected was 30 feet lower in elevation from our home site.

When drilling for the first 115 feet down, a specialized drill bit had to be used called an “Odex” due to hard rock. After passing hard rock, the “hammer” bit was used, and water was found after drilling another 100 feet. However, the gallons per minute were only 3.5 and our goal was to have at least 5.5 gallons per minute.

Another 5 feet of drilling produced 9 gallons of water per minute, which surpassed our goal. Drilling further could have produced more gallons per minute or find nothing so we stopped at the 220 foot depth level. Cost of drilling was running $16.00 per foot with the “Odex” bit and $14.00 a foot with the “hammer” bit.

Obviously for this type of depth, this was going to require a deep well submersible pump (I will explain the differences in well pumps below). Figuring the depth of well at 220 feet, elevation to the house at 30 feet with distance to the home of 130 feet, with water flow at 9 gallons per minute, we needed a 1 hp pump. Our choice was the Craftsman 1 HP 3-Wire, 4-Inch Deep Well Submersible Pump, Model 28404.

Features of the Craftsman 1 HP Deep Well Submersible Pump, Model 28404

The pump is rated to pump up to 13.5 gallons per minute with a pressure range of 40-60.

The construction is stainless steel and hydro-glass.

Dimensions are 25 7/10 inches in length by 3 4/5 inches in width with weight of 32 pounds.

Power is 230 volts with built-in thermal overload.

There is a built-in check valve that prevents pumped water from returning to source.

Other Submersible Requirements of the Craftsman Deep Well Pump

Craftsman Control Center, Model 28414

The maximum submersible 10 AWG cable length is 630 feet and at 12 AWG is 400 feet. We used 12 AWG wire.

Understanding Well Pump Types

Living in a town or city, you are probably hooked up to the city water supply. A few miles out of town, where the city water line stops, the scene changes. Each home has its own well and its own electromechanical system for getting the water from the well to the house. At the heart of each system is a pump, and the two most common types are jet pumps and deep well submersible pumps.

In a shallow well situation, lifting the water up to the house is going to be somewhat easier as long as the distance to the home is modest. The most common pump for a shallow well is a jet pump that draws the water up from the well through suction. Because suction is involved, atmospheric pressure is what is really doing the work. Therefore, the height that you can lift the water with a shallow-well jet pump relates to the weight of the air. While air pressure varies with elevation, it is common to limit the depth of a jet-pump operated shallow well to about 25 feet.

While a jet pump can handle depths further than 25 feet in depth with alterations, a more effective solution is to move the pump down into the well so, instead of lifting the water, it is pushing it up. This type of pump is called the deep well submersible pump. A submersible well pump is a long cylindrical shape that slides inside your well casing. Our well casing is 6 inches in diameter.

Deep well submersible pumps work on a centrifugal basis. The bottom part of the pump contains your sealed pump motor, which sits in the water and uses the water to cool the motor making it very efficient. The pump half of the unit is comprised of a stacked series of impellers-each separated by a diffuser that drives the water up the pipe to the plumbing system. Your electrical submersible cable runs from the well to the control box, which is located closed to the top of the well.

From the well casing is a pipe that runs beneath the ground to the basement of your home. This horizontal pipe joins the well pipe at a connector called a “pitless” adapter. The function of the adapter is to permit access to the pump and well piping through the top of the well casing, while routing water from the pump into the plumbing system.

Pumps are not intended to run continuously and they do not start each time you use your water in your home. In order to provide consistent water pressure at the home fixtures, the pump first moves water to a storage tank, otherwise known as a “pressure tank”. The pressure in the tank is what moves the water through the household plumbing system.

In our former home, our pressure tank was located in a well house but the piping was subjected to cold temperatures which we had to ensure to wrap with insulation and keep a light bulb burning during the winter.

With our new home, moving to even colder country, we opted to put the pressure tank inside the furnace room in the basement so the worries of freezing pipes would be eliminated.

Why Craftsman over Others?

In our former home, we had a Sear’s deep well submersible pump and a Sear’s pressure tank which was over 22 years old when we left and they were both still working fine with no problems.

In checking prices, we found for the same size, style, and quality, prices were running approximately $100 higher and we did not know of their reliability.

Sear’s has always provided excellent customer service for our needs and we felt confident that buying this should provide us with many years of good service. Most quality well pumps should perform their role for 20 to 25 years without servicing.

Final Impressions

With a submersible well pump, you cannot see it, feel it, smell it, or hear it. All we know is that we are happy with our purchase of the Craftsman 1 HP Deep Well Submersible Pump and it is performing flawlessly.

I think you will be very happy should you decide to purchase this model.

The warranty is 3 years.

Thank you for reading my review, and I hope you have found it helpful in your purchasing decision.

Craftsman 7/16 in. Socket, 6 pt. Deep 3/8 in.

Craftsman 7/16 in. Socket, 6 pt. Deep 3/8 in.

Craftsman 7/16 Socket 6 Pt Deep Fits Any 3/8 RatchetThis Craftsman 7/16 in. socket 6 pt. deep is made to a standard strength that is guaranteed foreve...

Craftsman 3/4 In. Socket, 12 Pt. Deep

Craftsman 3/4 In. Socket, 12 Pt. Deep

Craftsman 3/4 In. Socket, 12 Pt. Deep CM-212-0304-12 Check out my other items !
Craftsman 11 Pc 3/8 Drive 12 Point Deep Well

Craftsman 11 Pc 3/8 Drive 12 Point Deep Well

CRAFTSMAN 11 PC 3/8 DRIVE 12 POINT DEEP WELL 9MM ,10MM, 11MM, 12MM, 13MM ,14MM ,15MM ,16MM ,17MM 18MM, 19MM WE DO COMBINE SHIPPING

Craftsman 18mm Easy-To-Read Socket, 6 pt. Deep, 3/8 in. drive 18 mm

Craftsman 18mm Easy-To-Read Socket, 6 pt. Deep, 3/8 in. drive 18 mm

Craftsman 18mm Socket 6-Point Deep 3/8-Inch Drive Gets The Job Done With Ease Whether filling a gap in collection or you only need one, the Craftsman ...

Craftsman 11 Pc 3/8 Drive 12 Pt Deep Metric Socket Set

Craftsman 11 Pc 3/8 Drive 12 Pt Deep Metric Socket Set

Craftsman 11 pc 3/8 Drive 12 pt DEEP Metric Socket Set This item is BRAND NEW **Ships FREE via USPS 2-3 Day PRIORITY MAIL**Only the finest tools can q...

Craftsman Deep Impact 3/4 Socket, 6pt. 3/8 Dr.

Craftsman Deep Impact 3/4 Socket, 6pt. 3/8 Dr.

Craftsman Deep Impact 3/4 Socket, 6Pt. 3/8 Dr. 3/8 in. drive socket. Alloy Construction Black Oxide Finish SAE
Craftsman 3/4 in. Socket, 6 pt. Deep

Craftsman 3/4 in. Socket, 6 pt. Deep

Go Deep with the Craftsman -in. Deep Socket, 6-pt.Stop adjusting your grip when using a socket to work with extra-long hardware. Instead, reach for th...

CRAFTSMAN INDUSTRIAL 924781 Socket Set,Deep,3/8 Drive, SAE/Metric,34 Pc

CRAFTSMAN INDUSTRIAL 924781 Socket Set,Deep,3/8 Drive, SAE/Metric,34 Pc

Socket Set, SAE and Metric, Drive Size 3/8 In., Std. Socket Point Styles Included 12, Deep Socket Point Styles Included 12, Flex Socket Point Styles I...
Zoro

Craftsman 3/8 X 3/4 Deep 12pt Socket (new)

Craftsman 3/8 X 3/4 Deep 12pt Socket (new)

Craftsman 3/8 x 3/4  Deep 12Pt Socket  (NEW)Please check out my other items for sale. To view the showcase you need Flash 6 or higher. Click here to I...
Craftsman Deep Impact 3/8 Socket, 6pt. 3/8 Dr.

Craftsman Deep Impact 3/8 Socket, 6pt. 3/8 Dr.

Craftsman Deep Impact 3/8 Socket, 6Pt. 3/8 Dr. 3/8 in. drive socket. Alloy Construction Black Oxide Finish SAE