Craftsman 2-D Flashlight 41-5616

No More Tripping in the Dark

Apr 30, 2004 (Updated Apr 30, 2004)

Pros:Xenon light, spotlight & floodlight, shatterproof lens, watertight, sealed on/off switch, battery low light

Cons:A 1 1/2 pound flashlight might be too heavy for some people

The Bottom Line: The Bottom Line can no longer hide. This powerful flashlight illuminates.

My parents worry about me. One of the ways they show they care is to present me with tools ("Just in case you need them."), or in this case, a flashlight. They gave me the Craftsman 2D Flashlight about three years ago. It's the best flashlight I've owned.

Description

Housed in a machine anodized aluminum casing, this flashlight is an attractive gold-bronze color and is 10" long. There is a hanging ring (the shape of a D-ring) on the end of the flashlight shaft, which adds another inch to the length when the ring is lifted. When not in use, the D-ring lays flush.

The flashlight shaft is 7 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" diameter. Where the hand grips the flashlight, the barrel is textured in a criss-cross pattern. When the end of the flashlight (with the D-ring) is unscrewed, there is an area where two D batteries fit. A heavy-duty spring built into the tail-cap holds the batteries in place. Unscrewing the tail-cap takes about seven twists and is easy to do. There are even some straight textured lines that look like decoration but actually serve as finger grips to better twist off and on the tail-cap.

Conveniently located, the on/off switch is placed on the shaft just before the flashlight head. The rubberized button is a 1/2" in diameter and a good size for pressing with the thumb. Closer to the flashlight head is a small LED warning light that will glow when the battery power is low.

The flashlight head is 2 1/2" long with the widest part 2" in diameter. By twisting the flashlight head, the beam adjusts from a concentrated spotlight to a wide-angle floodlight. Like the tail- cap, the flashlight head has a 3/4" wide band around it with textured lines, which not only adds a nice bit of design but acts as a finger grip for twisting off/on the flashlight head. The Xenon bulb offers powerful light, and the lens is made of a polycarbonate material. The polycarbonate is a lightweight yet durable plastic that is heat resistant and shatterproof.

Replacing the lightbulb is simple. The head of the flashlight unscrews with about 10 twists ... the screw threading is very fine. A spare bulb is located in the tail-cap.

My Expereinces

When I received this flashlight, I didn't realize it would have so many uses. The first thing I did was remove the flashlight from its blister card and install two D-cell batteries (the light does not come with batteries). In case you are wondering, I use Duracell batteries. If you prefer rechargeable batteries, you can use those instead. Without batteries, the flashlight weighs .9 pounds. With batteries, it weighs 1 1/2 pounds.

The first try, my thumb naturally found the rubberized on/off button, which is easy to locate by feel -- a nice feature, especially when searching for the button in the dark. Then I experimented by twisting the flashlight head to create a spotlight beam and wider floodlight. I own many flashlights, and this Xenon light far outshines the other flashlights I own.

I've used this flashlight during power outages and to find lost objects in dark corners or behind furniture. When connecting cables to the back of my computer, which is in a tight corner and difficult to turn around, I position this flashlight to illuminate my work area.

During the summer, the flashlight has prowled the night with me in search of errant pets who don't pay attention to the curfew I give them. And on Halloween evening while trick-or-treating, it's a bright companion for racing children and our little group of adults trying to keep pace with them. I have also used the flashlight outdoors in the rain without problem.

This Craftsman flashlight also accompanies me during evening meetings. Sometimes I drive several older women to night events. One passenger in particular has poor eyesight and is not too stable on her feet. A bright light that can easily switch from spotlight to floodlight has come in handy to find our way over uneven ground. Also, this flashlight is a hefty weight. If someone threatening approached, it would make a nice dent in someone's anatomy. (Not that I'm the violent type ... but it never hurts to be prepared!)

The children enjoy borrowing this flashlight, too. It's great for reading in our make-believe tents in the living room. The flashlight can also stand on its end, casting a light straight up ... great for atmosphere and spooky ghost stories. However, the weight of this light is a bit much for young children to hold for long periods of time. During our Halloween excursions, one of the children always asks to hold the light ... and it isn't long before the flashlight is handed back to me ... along with the trick-or-treat bag that she doesn't want to carry.

Likes

* Xenon light (very bright!)
* Two lights in one: Spotlight & Floodlight
* Spare bulb
* Metal ring (for hanging)
* Watertight
* Rubberized sealed on/off switch
* Battery low warning light
* Shatterproof

Other Considerations

With the batteries installed, this flashlight weighs 1 1/2 pounds. It's a solid flashlight. If you are looking for a lightweight flashlight, then you might want to consider another model. At 10" long, this flashlight is also not what I would call easily portable. It is fine for carrying in a totebag, backpack or suitcase, but it is too large for a purse (unless you have a large satchel type handbag).

Summary

I've been using this flashlight for about three years, and it is my favorite flashlight. My thoughtful parents purchased this flashlight for me at a Sears store. It is also for sale online at sears.com for $17.99. If you are looking for a durable flashlight with both spotlight and floodlight capabilities, then this is an excellent choice. I would buy this flashlight if I had not received it as a gift. It's that good.

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Additional Information

Sears Item # 03493662000
Manufacturer Model # 41-5616

www.sears.com
Toll-free Phone #: 800-4-MY-HOME

Please read my other reviews:

Sharp Calculator -- Solar with Battery Backup

Oneida Premier Flatware

Ginsu 13-Piece Knife Set with Wood Block

Sterilite 12 Quart Storage Box

Rubbermaid Stain Shield Round 1.1 Quart Storage Container

Sterilite Ultra Storage Drawer

Rubbermaid Jumbo 50-Gallon Roughtote

Braun Coffee Grinder (and Flax Seed)

Step 2 Grass Hopper Wheeled Garden Stool / Cart