Cuisinart DCC-1100 12 Cups Coffee Maker Reviews

Cuisinart DCC-1100 12 Cups Coffee Maker

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$9.50 shipping Belk

Cuisinart Coffeemaker: Bleeping Beeps!

Jan 27, 2010

Pros:Inexpensive, makes 12 cups of good coffee.

Cons:No way to shut off that bleeping beeping.

The Bottom Line: Overall okay with two major design flaws.

I'm up at 6am.  It's still dark outside.  I make coffee in my new Cuisinart Classic DCC-1100 Coffeemaker.    I sit down to read the morning paper and suddenly I think "What the f... is beeping?"  It's a shrill tone, 5 beeps and sounds like a malfunctioning smoke detector.  It's the last thing I want to hear early in the morning.  Do the designers of this coffeemaker think that consumers need to be alerted to the fact that the coffee is done brewing?  Don't they think we can see that by just looking at it or hear that the brewing has stopped?  And since you can pour a cup of coffee before the brewing has completely finished, is this function really necessary?  Shouldn't a coffee lover be able to have her cup in peace and quiet without annoying beeping noises coming from her coffeemaker!!.

There are a few other design flaws.

The fill line on the reservoir is impossible to read.  Whoever thought putting white lettering on an opaque reservoir gauge obviously never tried actually reading it.  The reservoir gauge is also hard to see because it is on the side rather than facing the front.  I have to move the coffeemaker to look at the side to try and see how much water is in the reservoir.  The lines on the carafe are easy to read.  They are bright white on clear.

The water reservoir opening is small.  I have to pour carefully to make sure the water doesn't splash into the coffee filter.  This opening is not nearly as large as it was on my old Cuisinart coffeemaker.

The lid on the carafe snaps on and off rather than flipping on a hinge.  This makes the carafe a little more difficult to fill.  But it makes the carafe easier to clean because the lid comes all the way off.  The flip-type lid on my old Cuisinart made washing the carafe more cumbersome.

What I like:

The coffee is done at the right temperature.  Not too hot, not too cool.

It has a gold-toned filter basket.  So you can either use paper filters or the gold filter.  I don't think it makes a differene in taste but it's nice to have if you run out of paper filters.

The brew pause feature is a necessity.  Although the instructions don't recommend it for getting the best cup of coffee, having a brew pause feature is a necessity for me.  Sometimes, I just can't wait ten minutes for coffee.

Automatic programming.  I suppose this is a nice feature, although I never use it.  It seems easy enough to program if you want to have your coffee ready and waiting when you get up.

Automatic shut-off.  Another necessity.  No more worrying about whether you turned off the coffeemaker before you left the house.  No more coming home to find burnt sludge at the bottom of the carafe.

Comes in white.  When I shopped for a new coffeemaker it was hard to find one that came in white.  They are all black or stainless.  But in my kitchen, white looks better and this was one of the few that came in white.

One of the least expensive coffeemakers.  I just want a simple, but good coffeemaker.  I don't want to be setting up an espresso bar in my kitchen with a behemoth appliance that costs $200.

Coffee maker is housed in a classic design with stainless-steel accents Fully automatic 12-cup coffee maker features 24-hour programmability Kitchen a...
This 12-cup black Cuisinart coffeemaker allows you to host fun parties with family and friends. The fully automatic refurbished coffeemaker with 24-ho...
Cuisinart Filter Brew 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker DCC1100. This classically designed coffeemaker is accented with stainless steel for a look that...
Belk
Cuisinart DCC-1100 This classically designed Coffee Maker is accented with stainless steel for a look that is sure to enhance your countertop. er fil...
Wayfair