Curves For Women

Slow Down! Curves Ahead!

May 29, 2003 (Updated Jun 1, 2003)

Pros:It only take 30 minutes!

Cons:If crowded, you might have to wait

The Bottom Line: This is an excellent place for overweight women to come to for a workout that they can do and feel good about. It's easy and only takes 30 minutes.

My job as a first grade teacher builds up lots of stress and I need to release that stress so that I may do the best job possible. A friend told me about a new workout place that she was going to. It is called Curves.

Of course, I've done the health club/workout scene and just wasn't successful or lost interest. I had to wait for the machine or the club was too crowded. I arrived at Curves for a "free trial". Of course I was skeptical and was already telling myself this isn't going to be any different. I walked in and was greeted by the owner. She was very friendly and welcomed me. My co-workers were there so I started immediately with my workout, not really sure what I should do.

What I saw was a circle. In the circle was machines and aerobic boards (spongy bottoms) The machines were hydraulic and would give you the workout that you needed based on your ability to do the machine. The boards and machines alternate...one machine, one board, one machine, one board...all throughout the circle.

Each machine is meant to work a different area of the body. You go around the circle visiting each machine or board (you can jump, run or walk on the boards, whatever is comfortable) three times around and that is a 30 minute workout. Bring a friend to do the "circuit" with you and you won't believe how fast that time goes. Let me back up and tell you a little more about the details of this "Women's Only" workout facility.

First: cost...you have a up front fee of $49.00 (it was for me because I received a discount being an educator) I'm sure there must be other offers at there that are just as good or better. This is a one time fee. You never had to pay it again. Then, the monthly fee is 29.99 if you choose bank withdrawal. The other choice is to pay 39.00 a month.

This is the best part...if you don't want to come for a month you don't pay. You just let them know you'll be skipping a month and you pay nothing. Then you can start back up when you are ready and just start paying the 39.00 a month for the month you begin back. You do sign paperwork, and they encourage you to come at least 3 times a week.

They give you a barcode card for you to put on your keys and you scan when you come in. At the end of each month they weight and measure you and log it into the computer to help you keep up with your results. The workers stand in the middle of the circle and talk to you or help you if you need anything.

This facility had a dressing room, bathroom, water cooler and several cubbies to put keys and personal belongings in. Up beat music is playing along with another tape of a woman that tells you to "please change stations" and you move to the next item. And get a load of this...you are on each piece for a small amount of time...I'm guessing less than 30 seconds, so you are constantly changing and moving.

After one round, the tape tells you to find your pulse and you take a 10 second pulse count and compare it with the chart. You want to be in a certain range, so that you are burning fat and not muscle. Another great thing, is there were other fat women in there...old, young and middle aged. NO men were there gaping at anyone. You are introduced to other members, so a network of workout buddies begins to blossom. Everyone there is nice and non judgemental.

Being extremely overweight, I feel very comfortable here! The only thing that bothered was the leg machine. It was only the first day it happened. I had trouble getting my legs to fit in the stirrups. But I didn't have any more problems the next day. I believe it was because I wasn't use to how the machines worked. I love the ab machine. You sit down, lock you arms and hold onto a bar by your side and rock. I could feel it working.

Have a lost weight yet? Probably not, but I feel better. I've been going for 3 weeks and will be measured and weighed next week. After you do the circuit you go to the stretch area and complete about 8 simple stretches which takes less than 3 minutes.

After that you leave. Your workout is finished, you had fun, met new people, and felt like you really worked out on ALL the machines and got yourself moving. For someone that is really overweight, this is for you. It is something you can do to start on your path of weight loss.

I can't do high impact aerobics or spinning or running, but this I can do. And after I get good at this, then maybe I can advanced to their more strenuous workout for those that are ready to move on to something harder.

I've notice at least 3 Curves have opened for business in the Charlotte area and they are the 3rd fastest growing franchaise. I love and think if you need to lose weight, this is something anyone can do. Their website is www.curvesforwomen.com...

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Red - Medium (M) 10.5

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Red - Medium (M) 10.5

Womens Casual Oxford Shoes from Naturalizer: Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Red. Slip On Casual Shoes. Sizes: 10.5 Widths: Medium (M). The season's ess...
ShoeMall

Shift Curve Street Shoes Womens (white)

Shift Curve Street Shoes Womens (white)

NEW SHIFT CURVE STREET SHOE BLACK WOMENS Sizes Qty.5 1 10 1 PLEASE EMAIL TO CHECK SIZE AVAILABILITY BEFORE YOU PURCHASE

Women's Naturalizer Curve Sneaker : Black

Women's Naturalizer Curve Sneaker : Black

Perfect for a relaxing weekend The comfort-minded Curve sneaker matches your need for style. The charming lace-up canvas upper features contrasting to...
Feelgoodstore.com
Women's Naturalizer Curve - Sand 8D Canvas Slip-on Shoes

Women's Naturalizer Curve - Sand 8D Canvas Slip-on Shoes

The Curve is a stylish skimmer with lace up detail. It features the N5 Comfort System.
Shoebuy.com

Lowa S-Curve Mesh WS: Women's Trail Running Shoe

Lowa S-Curve Mesh WS: Women's Trail Running Shoe

Trail Running Shoes: Lowa S-Curve Mesh WS - Female Adult - Anthracite/Blue Mesh - Sizes 6|6.5|8.5|9.5 - Widtsh: Medium - Anticipate what lies around t...
Onlineshoes.com

Naturalizer Curve Flat Shoes (Black Canvas) - Women's Shoes

Naturalizer Curve Flat Shoes (Black Canvas) - Women's Shoes

Sizes Available: 9.0 W. The Curve casuals from Naturalizer are perfect when you’re out and about.Canvas upper in a casual slip-on styleThree eye lac...
Shoes.com

Naturalizer Curve Flat Shoes (Red) - Women's Shoes

Naturalizer Curve Flat Shoes (Red) - Women's Shoes

Sizes Available: 10.0 M. The Curve casuals from Naturalizer are perfect when youre out and about.Canvas upper in a casual slip-on styleThree eye lace-...
Famous Footwear

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Black - Narrow (N) 6

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Black - Narrow (N) 6

Womens Casual Oxford Shoes from Naturalizer: Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Black. Slip On Casual Shoes. Sizes: 6 Widths: Narrow (N). The season's esse...
ShoeMall

Shift Curve Street Shoe Black Womens

Shift Curve Street Shoe Black Womens

NEW SHIFT CURVE STREET SHOE BLACK WOMENS Sizes Qty.5 1 9 1 10 1 PLEASE EMAIL TO CHECK SIZE AVAILABILITY BEFORE YOU PURCHASE