Curves For Women

From an owner's viewpoint

Apr 5, 2008

Pros:30 minutes - fast, fun, effective

Cons:None that I can think of! (I know, I'm biased!)

The Bottom Line: Curves fills a niche in the health-club industry that was sorely neglected. Strengthening WOMEN!!

I've read all 148 reviews, and I just wanted to address some of the "cons."
Training of staff - Just like at any other business, I suppose the training of the staff relies on the qualifications set up by the owner and the owner's follow thru. Curves International has an exceptional training program, and the staff at your Curves SHOULD know what they are talking about! If you feel the staffers should know more, tell the Manager or the owner of your club.

Hours - Vary from location to location, I know. Urban Curves' are usually open more hours.

Curves is NOT just for beginners! Any woman of any fitness level can work out there! Read about Olivia Newton John having trained at Malibu Curves for the Great Walk to Bejing*(spelling?) on greatwalktobejing.com! Women who run marathons and who are professional athletes train at Curves! Its because the resistance of the machines cannot be outdone -- resistance at Curves is a product of speed; the harder you push, the harder the machines resist. That is an awesome thing!

"Boredom" or "Repetitive" workout - C'mon, girls. Think about ANY workout - why do you think they call the motion "repetitions?" Workouts are usually repetitive in some sense or other. Do you think a treadmill isn't repetitive? What makes Curves different is that the machines work with hydraulic resistance. Most machines work opposing muscle groups, so the machines are efficient.
IF you FOCUS on your workout and on your progression, you will get GREAT results at Curves because you CAN'T out-do the hydraulic resistance. It does take WORK, however; (that's why it's called a WORK-out). :) If you read the reviews from HAPPY Curves members, you'll see that they PUT 110% of themselves into the workout. That's truly what it takes wherever you go!

No progression in your workout? Work out harder! Now, most progressive Curves have updated their equipment to CurvesSmart - the most advanced fitness technology in the world! Truly - go try it for yourself!

Curves funds a $5million dollar on-going research study at Bayor University to CONSTANTLY PROVE AND IMPROVE its system and its products. Curves KNOWS the system works. What other company do you know that does that? Read about the results yourself at www.baylor.edu/women's health/curves

Didn't get results? - WHY NOT? How were you working out? How were you eating? Truly, ANY program works if you stick to it and follow it. The machines and the system are tools that you must USE to get the results you want. Come on. Really.

Regarding injury: You can break an ankle stepping off a curb. Of course there are some injuries at Curves. I have owned five Curves for nine years, and have had TWO injuries that were treated beyond a simple Dr visit. Any health club has an injury risk. However, Curves' injury rate is VERY VERY LOW because the hydraulic equipment is VERY VERY SAFE. Truly - it eliminates the guesswork of heavy weights and moving treadmills and unstable balls and on and on. OF all workouts, I believe Curves is absolutely the safest!!

Agreements & contracts - We are all adults. The Curves agreement is stated and worded very specifically and very clearly. NOTHING is hidden or underhanded IF the owner is following Curves' International guidelines. (I'm not saying there aren't some dishonest people in the Curves world! But if you've got a legitimate complaint, contact Curves international in Waco, Tx) It is stated very clearly that the agreement is for a MINIMUM of 12 months and that the membership continues at the end of the 12 months unless the member cancels in writing. What is wrong with that? We can't UNDO an agreement that was entered into in writing without your signature! That's not unreasonable! For signing the MINIMUM 12 month contract, you get a discount of $10/mo. That's a deal! Rome wasn't built in a day, and most women aren't going to meet their goals if they don't commit to coming for awhile.
HOWEVER, if you don't want to do the minimum 12-mo agreement, you just do the month-to-month agreement and pay the $10/mo. In any business situation with an agreement you have to take responsibility for what you sign. Most Curves' owners are very very honest and are just women like you and me.....we want our members to be happy. You can't please everyone, tho. Seems like there are always a few that are out to "beat the system," or something, but for the most part I believe that women are basically honest.

The Music - The music at Curves is a specified beat of 135-145bpm to keep you pumping away. We've done surveys of our members and asked what type of music they want to hear. We play all sorts of music, and "Christian music" just happens to be one of the types....because it was requested by some just like rock n roll was requested by some. My thought about music at Curves, however, is "if you're able to dis the music, you certainly aren't concentrating hard enough on your workout!" The music is only an end to a means....it helps you get to your goal...unless you focus too much on IT and forget you're there to work out hard!

To the gentleman who said "NEVER OPEN A CURVES," I want to say: Curves International offered an opportunity. Curves is an amazing business, and amazing company operated and owned by honest, amazing people. When the franchise began being offered publicly, THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE wanted to buy a Curves. I believe that there was some GREED involved and some people opened Curves' that shouldn't have. Curves wanted to be in every neighborhood, available to every woman..not too far away. Surely you knew that when you bought Curves. Starbucks is on every corner; McDonald's has several locations in my city. Curves International is often blamed, but the truth of the matter is that some purchasers just got in over their heads and didn't know how to run a business to begin with. I have to tell you that if a Curves started with 1000 members and ended up with a handful, something from within was going wrong. Anyone can blame Curves International, but the business itself has to be run by owners, Managers, staffers that care and understand the business. You can look at any franchise's history and see those that didn't survive -- Starbucks, McDonalds, Hardees, Wendy's......and there are those that are thriving. The success comes from within. Curves has a fail-safe system, and if operated properly, the business will thrive and survive. If it fails, it really isn't fair to blame Curves International - they have helped LOTS of us become millionaires. I can't say enough good about the support that comes from Curves International.

Curves is about women. Curves is about strengthening women. Curves is about women who had a dream of running their own business and worked their butts off to make that dream a reality. Curves offered women on many levels an opportunity to make something different of themselves -- their bodies, their minds, their lives, and their business sense. Curves is about strengthening women in MANY WAYS.
Curves supports women, and women should support Curves. I believe that....how many businesses do you know that have done for the world what Curves has done? We have been instrumental in changing the health, the lives, the fitness, and diet, and the sedentary lifestyle of 4 million women!! No other business had done that before Curves.

If you think the workout is to easy, you really probably didn't put enough work into it. If you blame Curves because you didn't get results, then I wonder why SO MANY members HAVE gotten such GREAT results!!? What makes you different from them? They probably worked harder at it.

Curves staffers may not all be "BUFF," but they are women like you and me with a common goal. We may not all want to be "BUFF." Some of them may just want to be healthy and fit. Not all health club employees in the world are "buff."
Not everyone is a size two, and not everyone wants to be a size two.

Gosh, I've written a novel. Thanx for reading it -- hope you've been inspired a little to realize that Curves is amazing!

Curves For Women Cushion Walk Walking Sneaker Shoes Slip On Black

Curves For Women Cushion Walk Walking Sneaker Shoes Slip On Black

CurvesŪ for Women Cushion Walk Walking Sneaker Leatherlike and fabric upper with stretch gore for easy wear and comfort. Wave-molded footbed. Gridded ...

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Red - Medium (M) 10.5

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Red - Medium (M) 10.5

Womens Casual Oxford Shoes from Naturalizer: Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Red. Slip On Casual Shoes. Sizes: 10.5 Widths: Medium (M). The season's ess...
ShoeMall

Naturalizer Curve Womens Wide Canvas Flats Shoes

Naturalizer Curve Womens Wide Canvas Flats Shoes

The Naturalizer Curve Casual Shoes feature a Canvas upper with a Round Toe. The Man-Made outsole lends lasting traction and wear.
Women's Naturalizer Curve Sneaker : Black

Women's Naturalizer Curve Sneaker : Black

Perfect for a relaxing weekend The comfort-minded Curve sneaker matches your need for style. The charming lace-up canvas upper features contrasting to...
Feelgoodstore.com
Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Black - Narrow (N) 6

Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Black - Narrow (N) 6

Womens Casual Oxford Shoes from Naturalizer: Naturalizer Curve (Women's) - Black. Slip On Casual Shoes. Sizes: 6 Widths: Narrow (N). The season's esse...
ShoeMall

Shift Curve Street Shoes Womens (white)

Shift Curve Street Shoes Womens (white)

NEW SHIFT CURVE STREET SHOE BLACK WOMENS Sizes Qty.5 1 10 1 PLEASE EMAIL TO CHECK SIZE AVAILABILITY BEFORE YOU PURCHASE

Lowa S-Curve Mesh Trail Running Shoes (For Women) - ANTHRACITE/BLUE (6 )

Lowa S-Curve Mesh Trail Running Shoes (For Women) - ANTHRACITE/BLUE (6 )

CLOSEOUTS . Lowa S-Curve trail running shoes are a flexible day hiker with excellent traction. The perforated leather upper breathes as well as mesh, ...
Sierra Trading Post

Kenneth Cole Reaction Curve Ball Women's Shoes Size 7 M

Kenneth Cole Reaction Curve Ball Women's Shoes Size 7 M

Give your wardrobe a fresh update with the Curve Ball boot from Kenneth Cole Reaction. Suede upper. Partial inside zipper. Strap and buckle accent. Te...
Zappos.com

Lowa S-Curve Mesh Trail Running Shoe - Women's-Anthracite/Blue-6 US

Lowa S-Curve Mesh Trail Running Shoe - Women's-Anthracite/Blue-6 US

The Lowa S-Curve Mesh trail running shoe is a low volume, warm weather trail runner made with 3D mesh upper for ultimate breathability. Mounted on a S...
CampSaver.com

McQ Max Curved Zip Boot Women's Zip Boots Size 39 (US Women's 9) M

McQ Max Curved Zip Boot Women's Zip Boots Size 39 (US Women's 9) M

Take your style to new heights in the Max Curved Zip Boot from McQ. Pointed toe, over-the-knee boot. Smooth leather foot with embossed leather shaft. ...
6pm.com