Comments on Why Cutco?" (6 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Re: A Few Corrections
by babs181
To give a bit of background, I was a Cutco Rep for three years while in college, loved the job, loved the product. I have been to the factory twice and seen the product made, thus increasing my belief in the quality of the product.

Cutco's handle is not made so many in a mold, they make 4 at a time, and it takes more than a few minutes to make, I'm not sure of the exact amount of time per handle, put in the few minutes I watched it, I only saw about half the process. The steel is heated treated then, cool, frozen, then heated again to strengthen the knife, but at the same time make it flexible. It's tempered three times then polished to a mirror finish. The double-d edge is able to be sharpened, therefore it is not serrated, serrated edges can't be sharpened.

In my experience selling Cutco, I have not met one unhappy Cutco owner, I have seen people who have thrown out Henckels because of Cutco. I have met people who have had Cutco for over 50 years (the company has been in business since 1949) and love the knives. I personally have written letters from Cutco owners testifying how much they like the product.

My best advice to anyone considering Cutco, ask your friends & family to see if any of them own Cutco, you'll be surprised, then ask their advice and their opinion, you want to get all points of view. I love the product, myself own nearly everything and am willing to vouch for it.

Yes, I am a former rep, however, I would never represent a product I didn't believe in. I have moved on to another job since graduation, but one of the things I carried with me thanks to Cutco is a belief that quality and customer service are extremely important, both of which I found in Cutco.
Apr 22, 2004
3:17 pm PDT

Re: A Few Corrections
by trex43
Just IMO, as a mechanical engineer for over 26 years, that among other things, designed and developed industrial manufacturing equipment and production lines, I feel that the quantities these are produced in, the processes used to fabricate the blades, and the highly touted "Thermo Resin" scale handles are way over priced.

Highly touted "Thermo Resin" scale handles;
A friend asked me "What exactly is Thermo Resin and how good is it really for a knife handle material?
Here is the answer I gave him.
It's sales hype.
They can't outright lie so they tell the truth in a manner not understandable by someone not informed.
Break it down;
Thermo = heat, so "Heated"

Resin (as pertains to these knife scales)= any of a large class of synthetic products that have some of the physical properties of natural resins but are different chemically and are used chiefly in plastics.
So, basically, plastic. (of one sort or another)

Stick em together and you have "Injection Molded Plastic" THE ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST METHOD AND MATERIAL COST THERE IS PERIOD. With a large injection mold common for this sized item there are probably 250 - 500 pieces in a mold batch 125 - 250 handles, 2% will be scraped and re-melted for the next batch. production time will run about 12 to 18 minutes in an industry standard type cooled jacket injection mold. With one mold running at the normal 80% efficiency that's 25 batches per shift that's about 4800 handles per shift.

The DD edge is nothing but a type of serrated edge Sales pitch delivered with that obnoxious infomercial presentation.

-----------
A NEW INFINITELY BETTER EDGE THAT IS BETTER, SEE THE DIFFERENCE. BETTER, NEW, SPECIAL. NO ONE ELSE HAS THIS EDGE TECHNOLOGY. Your knives will be better than anyone else's, costs so much more, has new cutting edge, the best metal money can buy, special Thermo Resin handles. Superior in every way to every other knife made. Better. New. Better. New.
---------

See, makes the non-knowledgeable want the new, because it's better. GAG If they called it their serrated edge, so what every common knife from pure cheap to very expensive have serrated edges. If they called their handles injection molded plastic, so what (see above).

Check the Consumer's Digest website, Cutco is only rated prmium of stamped knives, forged knives have a whole other rating and are much better. Consumer Reports (a non-profit organization unlike Consumer's Digest with a better reputation) did an article 6 mo after Consumer's Digest with actual computer aided testing with test engineers and a master chef which showed Wustof-Trident the best and Cutco with performance just below the Regent-Sheffield Infinity Edge which costs half as much as Cutco.

Please don't believe hype from knife salesmen, Cutco reps from Vector generally aren't even taught anything more than knives other than Cutco's features (so they don't lose confidence in the products they sell). A Vector Marketing rep selling Cutco probably won't even be able to tell you the difference between 440A and 440C steel or stamped vs. forged.
Nov 25, 2000
11:43 pm PST

Re: A Few Corrections
by KingsRook5
I would encourage everyone to ignore this particular comment. I worked for Cutco for over a year, was one of the top reps in the nation and know just about everything there is to know about the product. First of all, there is no other cutlery set that used Celcon in their handle and the DD edge is VERY different from a serrated in how it is stepped and how it is applied (hand ground.) It is also only used on the knives that are intended to be used in a forward-backward slicing motion. Consumer Digest rated Cutco as a premium grade. The only reason chef's often dislike the handle is they like to grip the handle at different spots. Traditional household users (for whom the set is designed) don't require multiple grips.
Sep 12, 2000
12:49 pm PDT

A Few Corrections
by everex
First of all, Cutco does not hold it's edge longer than any other knives. Ceramic knives hold their edge much longer than steel knives with the exception of Henckles Twinstar. Henckles Twinstar, with a Mugnadur edge sintered on, is estimated to be about 100 times sharper than most forged steel knives and retains an edge quite a bit longer than Cutco. If Henckles Twinstar ever gets dull you can send it back in for a new one.

Second of all, the double d edge does not cut just as clean as straight edges. Maybe with something like butter, but as soon as you have more resistance with something like meat and can't slice straight down you will need to slide the blade back and forth to get all the way through. This will result in the teeth tearing up the meat some and making less of a clean cut. The Double D edge is nothing more than a serrated edge.

The handles look horrible and aren't very comfortable (this isn't just my taste cut Consumer Reports magazine's and their test chef's as well). Consumer Reports also believes the blade will corrode a little easier. You can find handles made of the same quality materials n may other knives too, some for a much cheaper price tag as well.

Finally, the Henckles Four Star is not their highest quality set. But it might have been at the time of writing though. I don't know about the price for the Heckles 4 star set either but I do know that you can find a henckles 4 star 7 piece set for less than $200 and a 23 piece set for less than a thousand, very comparable prices to Cutco and probably cheaper (they are forged instead of stamped). Not too bad when you consider that you are also paying to import them unlike Cutco.
Aug 23, 2000
2:03 am PDT

You worked for Vector!
by nikkilds
Excellent review! I recognized quite a few of those examples from the Vector Marketing demo; I sold Cutco as well. It is definately the World's Finest Cutlery! :)
May 1, 2000
6:09 pm PDT

Welcome to Epininions!
by conradd
I saw that this was your very first post. You've included a lot of useful information and it is especially useful since you provide a comparison to another well-known brand. Very nice.

In the future, you might try including paragraph breaks. One unbroken block of text is hard for a reader to take on (rather like eating an uncut watermelon). A few paragraphs make a long post more readable.

Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Deb