Cyber Acoustics CVL1064RB Microphone Reviews

Cyber Acoustics CVL1064RB Microphone

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Better to invest in a tin can with string

Feb 26, 2006

Pros:Decent backscratcher. Can be returned if you still have the receipt.

Cons:Microphones have one function in life, and this one can't do it. Stay away.

The Bottom Line: It may be a waste of a small amount of money -- but it's still a waste of money.

I don't know what microphone the other reviewers are using -- this thing isn't worth the plastic it's made of.

I was looking for a no-frills desktop microphone that would work with Teamspeak and World of Warcraft. I got a no-frills desktop microphone, for sure, but it didn't work for much of anything.

Setup is easy enough -- just plug it in to the standard microphone jack in your soundcard. The microphone does have an on/off switch, which is a nice feature that keeps it from recording during down-time.

The problem lies with the microphone's sensitivity, which is just completely out of whack. Even with the microphone "volume" set to maximum through Windows, voice recordings are a whisper. Interestingly, despite hardly registering my voice, it had no trouble picking up any noises coming from my speakers.

This unusual behavior is crippling if you're playing games. My friends were able to hear me once the mic was positioned on the edge of my desk -- in front of the keyboard -- and pointed within six inches of my mouth. But no matter how well I positioned it, they were much better able to hear the sound of my game character in battle. The speakers were more than two feet away from -- and behind -- the mic. I have no explanation for this phenomenon. The only way to avoid it was to lower the game volume to the point where I could barely hear it at all.

I'm not sure how to design a microphone that can't hear the human voice, but which can pick up speaker noise. Cyber Acoustics, however, has mastered the technology. If such a product is useful for you, you'll be happy to know the microphone doesn't cost very much, and is the only desktop microphone I was able to find in any local store, so it shouldn't be tough to dig up. For the rest of us that don't want to record the sound of our speakers, I would leave this one on the shelf.

Cyber Acoustics CVL-1064rb Desktop Microphone
Cyber Acoustics Desktop Uni-directional Microphone with on/off switch CVL-1064 Technical Details Model : CVL-1064 Product Details Product Dimensions: ...

CYBER ACOUSTICS CVL-1064RB RETAIL SLVR DESKTOP UNI DIRECT
BRAND NEW SEALED Cyber Acoustics CVL-1064 Computer Stand Microphone PC voice Link technology DNCT4: Direct Noise Canceling Microphone Technology On/of...
RETAIL SLVR DESKTOP UNI DIRECT MICROPHONE ON/OFF SWITCH