CyberHome DVR-1600 DVD Recorder Reviews

CyberHome DVR-1600 DVD Recorder

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Cyberhome DVR 1200 - Problems! Frustration! Returned!

Nov 27, 2005 (Updated Nov 27, 2005)
Rated a Flagged Review
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Price

Cons:Everything. Just doesn't work. Unknown Disc, Disc Error are more common than successful DVD creation.

The Bottom Line: Doesn't work. Won't format, won't finalize. Works 10% of the time. Frustrating, disappointing.

There isn't a category for the 1200, but it looks similar to the 1600, minus the firewire port.

This review is not on the specs/features of the unit - but rather my experience - as a warning to anyone thinking of buying a Cyberhome DVR 1200.

I thought I'd finally try a dvd recorder, and even though I didn't think Cyberhome was a great brand, I figured it would AT LEAST work, for a while anyway. Well right from that first assumption I was wrong.

I took it home, hooked it up and read the instructions. I formatted the 1st disc successfully, recorded 5 minutes of video from a camera, and everything seemed to be going well...until I tried to edit the title. When it was in the updating mode it simply froze. I waited a while, didn't touch anything on the remote - and the player switched itself off. So I turned it back on to receive the UNKNOWN DISC error. Unknown? All of a sudden it didn't know the disc that was just in there recording away. But alas - the disc was now unknown :( Taking it out and putting it back in didn't change the status - the machine still had no idea what this disc was.

So I put in my 2nd blank DVD+R. Would you like to format? Yes. I waited...waited..."Disc Error". Sorry - apparently the player cannot format this particular disc? Perhaps it's a bad disc.

So I put in my 3rd blank DVD+R. Would you like to format? Yes. Again, Disc Error.

So I put in my 4th blank DVD+R. Would you like to format? Yes. Disk Error! Ugh!

By this time I had pretty much decided this thing was going back to the store. But I thought I'd try it one more time...I put in my 5th blank DVD+R. Would you like to format? Yes. Success! What? This thing is messing with me I just know it.

I proceed to record about 20 minutes of video - stopping here and there. Editing the titles? No way! I didn't even try it this time...I thought I'd be lucky to get the thing created - I didn't care what the titles said. When I was done recording, I selected "Finalize" and crossed my fingers. And it worked! Now if it always went smoothly like this the thing would be wonderful. So - let's try again! Maybe I had 4 bad discs (yeah right!).

Inserted the 6th blank DVD+R. Nope - back to not recognizing the disc. I hate this thing! Turned it off.

Seems turning it off for a while and back on is some kind of secret. In my many stubborn attempts, I found that a disc would successfully format more often if I turned it off, waited a few minutes and then turned it back on. The little snot actually says "hello" when you turn it on - like it's all friendly. Yeah - ain't buyin' it!

This morning I successfully formatted a disc and immediately celebrated "Yes!" I exclaimed...in disbelief that a disc actually formatted! Whoo hoo! I then spent some time recording off my TiVo. I used both the stop and the pause features...everything was going well.

Then - when the remote was safely on the table at my side and nowhere near my fingers...in the middle of a recording, "pause" appeared on the screen. Pause? I didn't hit the pause button??? So I stopped the recording and started over. When the time came to stop - I pressed stop. "Please Wait" appeared as it always does when you press stop - but this time it stayed on screen much longer than usual, and the unit made a lot of noise. "Disc Error" it said. Boo! However, it let me continue to record. Seemed ok. Well - until I got to the end and selected "Finalize". It tried and tried and tried - and then told me - "Unknown Disc". Again the stupid thing decided it didn't know the disc it has just formatted and recorded on. The disc won't play and is unrecognized when I try to re-insert it. An hour of my morning is wasted. Thanks Cyberhome!

That was pretty much the last straw. I returned it - and of course will never buy a Cyberhome product again. But I'm also weary of DVD recorders in general. Are they not quite ready yet? Do name brands work much much much better than this? I would hope so but I'm going to wait a while before trying this again.

Avoid this unit! Even at $79 is isn't worth it. After reading other reviews on Cyberhome DVD recorders, I don't think I got a random lemon. I'm disappointed as I would really use a DVD recorder...but this one was virtually unusable. You get what you pay for. Lesson learned.

CyberHome CH-DVD 500 Progressive-Scan DVD Player

CyberHome CH-DVD 500 Progressive-Scan DVD Player

Enjoy the crisp picture, amazing sound and convenience features of DVD with this CyberHome DVD player with progressive scan video output. Features com...
DVR620 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo

DVR620 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo

Toshiba DVR620 - DVD recorder/ VCR combo
PCM

Toshiba Dvr620 Dvd Recorder/vcr Combo :dvr620

Toshiba Dvr620 Dvd Recorder/vcr Combo :dvr620

Have both VCR and DVD recording and playback options without the clutter. The versatile DVR620 takes the fuss out of saving your videotapes to DVD and...

Toshiba VCR and DVD Recorder with One Touch Recording - Black (DVR620)

Toshiba VCR and DVD Recorder with One Touch Recording - Black (DVR620)

Find dvd, vcr players and set-top boxes at Target.com! Have both vcr and dvd recording and playback options without the clutter. The versatile dvr620 ...

Toshiba - DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080P Upconversion and HDMI, Home Theater

Toshiba DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080P Upconversion and HDMI The Toshiba DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080P Upconversion with both VCR...
Adorama

Toshiba - DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo - Tunerless, 1080p Upconversion,, DVD Combos

Toshiba DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo For smoother recording and playback use the Toshiba DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo. This ultra-reliable recorder/...
TigerDirect.com

Toshiba DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080p Upconversion

Toshiba DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080p Upconversion

Do it all. This DVD recorder/VCR combo makes it easy to transfer your favorite home movies from VHS cassettes to DVD discs, preserving your collection...
QVC

TOSHIBA DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080p Upconversion

TOSHIBA DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080p Upconversion

Buy at Newegg.com TOSHIBA DVR620 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with 1080p Upconversion
Newegg.com

Toshiba Dvr620 Dvd Player Vcr Combo Recorder Electronics Ships Global

Toshiba Dvr620 Dvd Player Vcr Combo Recorder Electronics Ships Global

This Sale Includes ONE... Toshiba DVR620 Model: DVR620 Condition: Brand New from the Factory Description: DVD and VHS Recorder with two way dubbing Re...

Toshiba DVR620  DVD/VCR recorder/player, no tuner

Toshiba DVR620 DVD/VCR recorder/player, no tuner

DVD/VCR recorder/player, no tuner front-panel audio/video and digital camcorder input,records from VHS to DVD and DVD to VHS, no built-in TV tuner - r...
Crutchfield