D-Link DIR-855 300 Mbps 1-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (DIR-855/B) Reviews

D-Link DIR-855 300 Mbps 1-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (DIR-855/B)

A premium broadband router for a mixed network

Jan 22, 2009 (Updated Jan 22, 2009)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Routing performance, stability, QoS, true dual band.

Cons:It might be overkill for many standard home networks.

The Bottom Line: A nicely thought out product.  It's worth the money if you have a mix of 802.11n and older clients, or need strong QoS for voice/gaming services.

Despite having paid more than I would have liked, I'm really pretty happy with the DIR-855. It's stable. You set it and forget it.  Honestly the LCD display panel is something I never tend to use (for that reason). It's fun for 5 minutes at least, though :-) .

Setup is comfortable.  The 'wizard' setup pages handle most needs.  More advanced users can then go in and tweak around the edges if they wish.  In short there's plenty to keep an advanced user very happy, but you don't need to be one to use this router.

I'm in a double brick house and even the 5Ghz signal gets around pretty strongly. I was originally worried because I'd heard bad stories about that upper band not getting through walls etc. It connected at full strength and speed with a Macbook Pro through 2 walls, about 12 metres away.

On the standard 2.4 Ghz band I have one 802.11g and two old 802.11b clients.  The signal there is really good. I keep these old standards on this band and the 802.11n clients on the 5 Ghz band so they don't slow each other down. That works incredibly well. If you have a mix of clients like me, I can't stress enough how good the dual bands are.

I've never deliberately stress tested the unit - I don't have the time or inclination.  A real world example is the best I can do to illustrate.  I have had 2 kids streaming Youtube on their computers, me playing World of Warcraft, and talking on a voice-over-IP telephone call.  All of these things are sensitive to network jitter and interruption from each other - especially the phone call.  This router handled them all, smooth as silk.  Admittedly I've had the same experience before with my previous router, the Zyxel x-550.  Both have Streamengine chipsets for their quality of service management.  This one has a newer, stronger version of that chipset but they both work.  I'm such a fan of Streamengine that I changed from Zyxel routers to this Dlink just to get one that had it.  (Zyxel now use a different proprietary QoS system that may or may not work as well).

Dlink just released a new firmware that allows use of the USB port for print and network storage services. I haven't tried it. You need to back your router settings up to disk before you upgrade because it wipes them, but they're easy to back up and restore. Worked without a hitch.

In short I'd say go for it if money is no issue or you need its features now. Especially if you want a quarantined high speed network for your 802.11n clients and a separate one for your older ones.  It won't become a bottleneck on a high speed cable or dsl connection, and it handles competing demands from multiple users like a champ.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

D-Link Whole Home Router 1000 DIR-645 300Mbps Wireless-N Gigabit 4-Port Router Refurbished

The D-Link Whole Home Router 1000 is designed to enhance your wireless signal and extend coverage. SmartBeam technology provides wireless signals to e...
D-Link DIR-636L - Wireless router - 4-port switch - Gigabit LAN - 802.11b/g/n DIR-636L

D-link Dir-601 150 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Wireless N Router

D-link Dir-601 150 Mbps 4-port 10/100 Wireless N Router

Product Details In excellent New Condition Great for home Internet Product Description Product Information Suitable for a small office or home, the D-...

D-Link DIR-636L 300Mbps Wireless Router

D-Link DIR-636L 300Mbps Wireless Router

D-Link's Wireless N300 Gigabit Router (DIR-636L) lets you monitor your home network from anywhere on your iPhone, iPad or Android device using the fre...
D-Link Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000 Dir-657 Wireless Router 4-Port Sw

D-Link Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000 Dir-657 Wireless Router 4-Port Sw

D-Link Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000 Dir-657 Wireless Router 4-Port Switch. New Retail Factory Sealed With Full Manufacturer Warranty.
ALLHDD

D-link Dir-615 Wireless Router Wireless-n N300 300mbps 4-port 10/100 Switch

D-link Dir-615 Wireless Router Wireless-n N300 300mbps 4-port 10/100 Switch

The D-Link DKT-USBN is a router that provides fast and secure connection to the Internet using wireless N technology. Routers with wireless N are pref...

D-Link DIR-825 Extreme-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router

D-Link DIR-825 Extreme-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router

D-LINK SYSTEMS D-LINK XTREME N DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER DIR-825 - WIRELESS ROUTER 4-PORT SWIT Manufacturer : D-LINK SYSTEMS UPC : 790069318122
D-Link DIR-815 DIR-815 Wireless N Dual Band Router

D-Link DIR-815 DIR-815 Wireless N Dual Band Router

The D-Link Wireless N Dual Band Router (DIR-815) features simultaneous wireless bands with a faster wireless network than previous generation wireless...
MacMall
D-Link - DIR-815 Wireless N Dual Band Router, Fast Ethernet, Networking

D-Link - DIR-815 Wireless N Dual Band Router, Fast Ethernet, Networking

D-Link DIR-815 Wireless N Dual Band Router, Fast Ethernet Powered by Wireless N technology, D-Link DIR-815 high-performance router provides superior c...
Adorama

D-Link Wireless N 600 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Gigabit Router (DIR-826L)

Feature: Model: N600 See more technical details Model: N600 Manufacturer Description The D-Link Cloud Router 2000 (DIR-826L) lets you monitor your hom...