D-link AirPlusŪ G DP-G321 (DP-G321/E) Print Server Reviews

D-link AirPlusŪ G DP-G321 (DP-G321/E) Print Server

Horrible support experience so far . . .

Mar 17, 2006

Pros:1. Allows for 2 USB printer connections 2. Good wireless reception

Cons:1. Device is no longer working 2. Support has been non-existant thus far

The Bottom Line: Good device when it works. Just pray you never need customer service.

The DP-G321 wireless printserver worked fine at first in a home network with Linksys cable modem, Linksys router, 1 PC, 1 Mac, 1 Tivo. Two printers are connected to the printserver via USB ports.

Recently however, the printserver is not getting the static IP address manually requested via the printserver's firmware (static IP addressing is needed to make printing easy), even though this address is properly outside the range of dynamic addresses that the DHCP server hands out. I confirmed that my PC can request and be assigned a static IP address, so that tells me the router is functioning properly.

I had a horrible experience via D-Link phone tech support. Below is the exact email sent to D-Link following the call (with identifying information x'ed out):

-----------------------------
Firstly I would like to mention that I have been on the phone for 4 hours tonight with D-Link tech support. After initially waiting to speak with a tech support person, I was handed off to "advanced tech". The "advanced tech" person did not appear to even understand the issue, and I was disconnected by D-Link. After calling back (this time I took names), I reached Carlo. After explaining to Carlo that I had just been disconnected after 1.5 hours, I then explained the issue I was having. He transferred me to "advanced tech". After waiting in excess of 30 minutes, I was connected with Marvin. Marvin and I walked through several diagnostic steps, but with no resolution. Then suddenly, I was ONCE AGAIN disconnected by D-Link. What makes this more appalling is that these D-Link personnel have my phone number! Yet they don’t call back when I get disconnected.

I plan on posting a very detailed account of my experience (which has been very poor to date) with both the printserver and the company on several review websites. Please let's try to turn this experience around.

OK, now on to my technical issue. I am using printserver DP-G321. This worked fine for several months, but now I am having a problem. Specifically, the printserver is set (via the Configuration-Network tab) to be manually assigned an IP address, in this case 192.168.1.10. The printserver thinks that it has been assigned this address (the following is copied from the Home-System tab):
Server Name : PS-D9C341
Model : DP-G321
Firmware Version : 2.00 (2005-06-27)
MAC Address : xx xx xx xx xx xx
IP Address : 192.168.1.10 (Manual)

However, my router shows that the printserver has been assigned a different IP address:
PS-D9C341 192.168.1.12 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

In fact, if I type in the URL http://192.168.1.12, the printserver home page appears. Since the printserver thinks it has been manually assigned 1.10, but in fact has been assigned 1.12, it no longer allows me to print.

I have tried changing the manually assigned IP address to no avail. For example, if I change the manually assigned IP address to 1.12 and reset the printserver, it now thinks it has been assigned 1.12, but the router shows that the printserver has been assigned 1.14 (my computer was sitting at 1.13, so presumably that’s why it jumped over 1.13). If I then change the manually assigned address to 1.14, the actual address assigned by the router becomes 1.15.

The default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The router is the Linksys WRT54G (Wireless-G broadband router), firmware version 4.20.6. Details on the printserver including firmware and MAC address are listed above.

Please help!

--------------------------

It's been 48 hours since I emailed D-Link, but no response as of yet. I emailed Linksys as well, and received a response within 24 hours. They had some tips that helped confirm the DHCP server was functioning properly, suggesting that the problem lies with the printserver.

Conclusion:
If D-Link is able to resolve the issue, or at least provide satisfactory customer service, I will update this review. If not, I will not consider buying D-Link equipment in the future - not because I think their products are poor, but because their support has been useless thus far; and let's face it, if you're buying even remotely cutting edge technology, support is a critical part of the overall product.

D-Link, are you listening?

D-link Airplus Dwl-g122 Wireless Adapter For Windows

D-link Airplus Dwl-g122 Wireless Adapter For Windows

D-Link, the industry pioneer in wireless networking, introduces the DWL-G122 Wireless USB Adapter, part of the AirPlus G family of 802.11g wireless ne...

D-link Airplus Dwl-g630 - 802.11g/b Wireless Adapter Great Deal

D-link Airplus Dwl-g630 - 802.11g/b Wireless Adapter Great Deal

YOU'RE BIDDING ON A USED D-LINK DWL-G630 WIRELESS CARD ADAPTER. UNIT IS BRAND NEW IN SEALED BOX.M18 E-Cycle Electronics EBay Selling Terms:Need Cables...
Brand New, D-link Dwl-g630 , Notebook Wireless Adapter Pcmcia (cardbus)

Brand New, D-link Dwl-g630 , Notebook Wireless Adapter Pcmcia (cardbus)

BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED Features/Specifications:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------D-LINK DWL-G630 AirPl...

D-link Dwl-g650 Wireless Cardbus Adapter 802.11g 108mbps

D-link Dwl-g650 Wireless Cardbus Adapter 802.11g 108mbps

Shaked Store NEW D-Link DWL-G650 Wireless Cardbus Adapter 802.11g 108Mbps Special price! $34.50 $46.95 $ Description The D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G...