D-Link DIR-655 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (DIR-655/FR) Reviews

D-Link DIR-655 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (DIR-655/FR)

Solid performance if a bit pricey

Jun 6, 2009

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Good guidance during setup, stable, easy to update firmware

Cons:Status lights are much too bright, DNS relay enabled by default.

The Bottom Line: For the novice or advanced gamer, this router is a soild device that is easily upgradeable.

My netgear wireless router died and based on reviews and recommendations from a friend, I selected this router for my home computing needs.  I purchased this unit from Tiger Direct. Within 30 minutes I had it up and running but over the next week, I did discover a plethora of settings that needed massaged to ensure optimal performance.

Pros:
*3 external antennas provide excellent range in my 2 story townhouse
*true gigabit speed means faster data transfer from router to my PC (with gigabit card)
*Straightforward setup
*Stable performance with Voip and VPN running simultaneously
*Help Link direclty correlates to the settings you are manipulating. No need to hop to the PDF on the CD
*Ability to save your settings in an export file and upload them after a firmware update. No need to redo your settings.
*Offers IP addy reservation for attached devices and this can be set to never expire.
*offers QOS where  you can establish bandwidth priority for multiple devices, including a Voip adaptor.

Cons:
*Extremely bright blue LED on front.  May disturb light sleepers but you do get a free nightlight
*Endless array of options; might be overboard for a casual home pc user.

While I don't game or do much heavy downloading, I do use a router with my Vonage device and PC for network stability. OFten I work from home with my wireless laptop thus wireless is a must.

When setting up this router, Dlink is quite clear about using the setup CD and unless you are very experienced in routers, I would advise the same.  The CD setup will take some time, about 20 minutes or so plus 2 reboots of your cable/dsl modem but once done, you are pretty much ready to go. I have a cable modem so setting up PPOE was not necessary.
Everything the router needs as far as DNS servers and default gateway settings will be done during setup.  Most DOSCIS modems will push this information to your router and this was exactly the situation in my setup.
One exception to the DNS setup with the 1.10 firmware was
DNS RelayWhen DNS Relay is enabled, the router plays the role of a DNS server. DNS requests sent to the router are forwarded to the ISP's DNS server. This provides a constant DNS address that LAN computers can use, even when the router obtains a different DNS server address from the ISP upon re-establishing the WAN connection. You should disable DNS relay if you implement a LAN-side DNS server as a virtual server.This was enabled by default and I was puzzled when I would go to cnn or yahoo, the status on my browser would always say ".....looking up www.yahoo.com......."  The delay was very noticeable indeed and it took me 2 days to figure out the DNS relay setting.  For home users, turn it off! Once that was done, browsing speeds and response time improved noticeably.

Another nice feature for me is the DHCP leasing. While most users could live with a 24 hr lease on DHCP, my vonage adaptor needs a constant IP addy to establish a SIP session with the Vonage network.You can assign a DHCP to your attached device (in this case my vonage adaptor) and establish that the IP never expires.

Wireless supported is B, G, and N and I can connect at 54mps with my company laptop no matter where I go in my apartment.  Stability is good also, even running VPN and a client based call tracking system.
The router also allows specified remote client setup for remote access. I have not experiement with this as of yet.

Standard security features include WEP, WPA, WPA2, NAT, SPI and firewall rules. Cipher type supports AES and TKIP individually or at the same time. This makes wireless connections a breeze.

Firmware updates were very easy. I upgraded mine to 1.21 by going to Dlink support section and downloaded the version.  Dlink provides a method to save your current configuration settings, apply the firmware, do a factory reset, then upload your configuration settings. No more having to memorize or write down your custom settings!

Finally the help aka support link in the router pages is very nice. While you may not understand dynamic DNS, or the DMZ zone, Dlnk does provided some brief examples and average settings that will work 95% of the time.

IN all, this router has proven thus far to be relatively simple to setup, offer advance features for gamers and heavy downloading all the while offering good security and easy firmware updates. I rate this router a solid buy.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

D-link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-n Gigabit Router (dir-655) Brand

D-link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-n Gigabit Router (dir-655) Brand

The D-link DIR-655 is a 4-port N router that provides Internet access to multiple devices simultaneously. The WPS functionality in this D-link wireles...

Brand D-link Dir-651 N 300 Router 4 Gigabit Ports Wireless Router Sealed

Brand D-link Dir-651 N 300 Router 4 Gigabit Ports Wireless Router Sealed

Bring home the D-link Wireless Router to use the internet like never before. The D-link DIR-651 has superior Wireless N technology which easily outstr...

D-link Dir-826l 600mbps 4 Port Wireless Router A9e3

D-link Dir-826l 600mbps 4 Port Wireless Router A9e3

D-Link DIR-826L 600Mbps 4 Port Wireless Router (DIR-826L)(New-Retail) Description:The D-Link Cloud Router 2000 (DIR-826L) lets you monitor your home n...

D-link Dir-651 Wireless N 300 Gigabit Router

D-link Dir-651 Wireless N 300 Gigabit Router

D-link Dir-655 Xtreme N 4-port Gigabit Router Promotion

D-link Dir-655 Xtreme N 4-port Gigabit Router Promotion

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

The D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router is a draft 802.11n compliant device that delivers up to 14x faster speeds and 6x farther range than 802.11g while s...
MacMall
D-Link DIR-651 Wireless Router

D-Link DIR-651 Wireless Router

WIRELESS N 300 11GN GIGABIT ROUTER NAT SPI WPA WPA2 4PORT
D-link Dir-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Home Office Internet Wifi Router 802.1