D-Link DIR-655 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (DIR-655/FR) Reviews

D-Link DIR-655 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router (DIR-655/FR)

Solid performance if a bit pricey

Jun 6, 2009

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Good guidance during setup, stable, easy to update firmware

Cons:Status lights are much too bright, DNS relay enabled by default.

The Bottom Line: For the novice or advanced gamer, this router is a soild device that is easily upgradeable.

My netgear wireless router died and based on reviews and recommendations from a friend, I selected this router for my home computing needs.  I purchased this unit from Tiger Direct. Within 30 minutes I had it up and running but over the next week, I did discover a plethora of settings that needed massaged to ensure optimal performance.

Pros:
*3 external antennas provide excellent range in my 2 story townhouse
*true gigabit speed means faster data transfer from router to my PC (with gigabit card)
*Straightforward setup
*Stable performance with Voip and VPN running simultaneously
*Help Link direclty correlates to the settings you are manipulating. No need to hop to the PDF on the CD
*Ability to save your settings in an export file and upload them after a firmware update. No need to redo your settings.
*Offers IP addy reservation for attached devices and this can be set to never expire.
*offers QOS where  you can establish bandwidth priority for multiple devices, including a Voip adaptor.

Cons:
*Extremely bright blue LED on front.  May disturb light sleepers but you do get a free nightlight
*Endless array of options; might be overboard for a casual home pc user.

While I don't game or do much heavy downloading, I do use a router with my Vonage device and PC for network stability. OFten I work from home with my wireless laptop thus wireless is a must.

When setting up this router, Dlink is quite clear about using the setup CD and unless you are very experienced in routers, I would advise the same.  The CD setup will take some time, about 20 minutes or so plus 2 reboots of your cable/dsl modem but once done, you are pretty much ready to go. I have a cable modem so setting up PPOE was not necessary.
Everything the router needs as far as DNS servers and default gateway settings will be done during setup.  Most DOSCIS modems will push this information to your router and this was exactly the situation in my setup.
One exception to the DNS setup with the 1.10 firmware was
DNS RelayWhen DNS Relay is enabled, the router plays the role of a DNS server. DNS requests sent to the router are forwarded to the ISP's DNS server. This provides a constant DNS address that LAN computers can use, even when the router obtains a different DNS server address from the ISP upon re-establishing the WAN connection. You should disable DNS relay if you implement a LAN-side DNS server as a virtual server.This was enabled by default and I was puzzled when I would go to cnn or yahoo, the status on my browser would always say ".....looking up www.yahoo.com......."  The delay was very noticeable indeed and it took me 2 days to figure out the DNS relay setting.  For home users, turn it off! Once that was done, browsing speeds and response time improved noticeably.

Another nice feature for me is the DHCP leasing. While most users could live with a 24 hr lease on DHCP, my vonage adaptor needs a constant IP addy to establish a SIP session with the Vonage network.You can assign a DHCP to your attached device (in this case my vonage adaptor) and establish that the IP never expires.

Wireless supported is B, G, and N and I can connect at 54mps with my company laptop no matter where I go in my apartment.  Stability is good also, even running VPN and a client based call tracking system.
The router also allows specified remote client setup for remote access. I have not experiement with this as of yet.

Standard security features include WEP, WPA, WPA2, NAT, SPI and firewall rules. Cipher type supports AES and TKIP individually or at the same time. This makes wireless connections a breeze.

Firmware updates were very easy. I upgraded mine to 1.21 by going to Dlink support section and downloaded the version.  Dlink provides a method to save your current configuration settings, apply the firmware, do a factory reset, then upload your configuration settings. No more having to memorize or write down your custom settings!

Finally the help aka support link in the router pages is very nice. While you may not understand dynamic DNS, or the DMZ zone, Dlnk does provided some brief examples and average settings that will work 95% of the time.

IN all, this router has proven thus far to be relatively simple to setup, offer advance features for gamers and heavy downloading all the while offering good security and easy firmware updates. I rate this router a solid buy.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

D-Link DIR-636L - Wireless router - 4-port switch - Gigabit LAN - 802.11b/g/n DIR-636L

D-link Whole Home 1000 Dir-645 300 Mbps 4-port Gigabit Wireless N Router...

D-link Whole Home 1000 Dir-645 300 Mbps 4-port Gigabit Wireless N Router...

Enjoy surfing the web at home without lags or glitches using the D-Link DIR-645 home router. Featuring a data speed of up to 300 MBps, this D-Link Rou...

D-Link Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000 Dir-657 Wireless Router 4-Port Sw

D-Link Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000 Dir-657 Wireless Router 4-Port Sw

D-Link Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000 Dir-657 Wireless Router 4-Port Switch. New Retail Factory Sealed With Full Manufacturer Warranty.
ALLHDD

D-link Systems Wireless N 300 Gigabit Router Dir-651

D-link Systems Wireless N 300 Gigabit Router Dir-651

Bring home the D-link Wireless Router to use the internet like never before. The D-link DIR-651 has superior Wireless N technology which easily outstr...

D-Link Whole Home Router 1000 DIR-645 300Mbps Wireless-N Gigabit 4-Port Router Refurbished

The D-Link Whole Home Router 1000 is designed to enhance your wireless signal and extend coverage. SmartBeam technology provides wireless signals to e...
D-Link Systems DIR-655 Xtreme N Wireless Gigabit Router (DIR-655)

D-Link Systems DIR-655 Xtreme N Wireless Gigabit Router (DIR-655)

The D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router is a draft 802.11n compliant device that delivers up to 14x faster speeds and 6x farther range than 802.11g...
Dell

D-Link - N300 Wireless Gigabit Router, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports, Networking

D-Link - N300 Wireless Gigabit Router, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports, Networking

D-Link N300 Wireless Gigabit Router, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports The D-Link DIR-636L Cloud Router 1200 offers piece of mind. The Cloud Router's features make...
Adorama

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR655

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR655

Shop for Electrical at The Home Depot. The Xtreme N DIR-655 Gigabit Router is IEEE 802.11n (draft) compliant device that delivers 14x faster speeds an...
Home Depot

D-Link DIR-825 Extreme-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router

D-Link DIR-825 Extreme-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router

D-LINK SYSTEMS D-LINK XTREME N DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER DIR-825 - WIRELESS ROUTER 4-PORT SWIT Manufacturer : D-LINK SYSTEMS UPC : 790069318122
D-link Wireless Router N300 4-port Gigabit Hd Fuel Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000

D-link Wireless Router N300 4-port Gigabit Hd Fuel Amplifi Hd Media Router 1000

Stream multiple media content - videos, music and more to multiple devices all at the same time without lag or skipping. The HD Fuel technology in the...