D-Link N150 Home 150 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router (DIR-601) Reviews

D-Link N150 Home 150 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router (DIR-601)

D-Link DIR-601 - great budget router

Mar 23, 2011

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Price, configuration, stable

Cons:less range than most 2 antenna routers

The Bottom Line: Good budget router.

Rushing out to renew an agingWRT54GL router, I was pretty much left at the mercy of the local CompUsa, and their selection was for the most part way above my budget. Having paid $50 for the Linksys I was loath to get the same router at $80 so decided to take a chance on the D-Link DIR-601, which sold for $40.
I've installed D-Link switches before and have been happy with their product, so I decided to give this one a shot.

Features:
The DIR-601 is a 4 port switch and wireless router supporting the following Data Link Protocols: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n. It also supports the following Network/Transport protocols: PPTP, L2TP, IPSec. It also features NAT support, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), VPN passthrough, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS). Interfaces are 1 WAN (1 x 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45), 4 LAN (10 Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45). It has one detachable antenna.

Installation
Installation was pretty straightforward. I had to get the manual from the installation disk so I can run it in Advance mode, but for the non-tech savvy there is a wizard that will do just as well. Administration is done via HTTP. Everything was straightforward and where i expected ot find it, and as it was in this case, I managed to contact to a static T1 and be up and runnign in no time. Encryption options are not as numerous as on the Linksys, this one has WPA, WPA2 encryption, so I set up the WPA2 encreyption at 128bit. I rebooted my machine, connected via wireless and was good to go.

In Use
For the time I've had the D-Link (about a month) it has worked without a glitch. In comparison to the Linksys WRT54GL router, this one has been more stable and easier to set up. On the other hand the range has gotten smaller due to it broadcasting on one antenna as opposed to the previous router. In the office this is not an issue, but I am definitely not picking it up down on the other side of the building as I used to. router is capable of more sophisticated due to its NAT support and VPN connection support but I didn't have a chance to try them, since this was a fairly straightforward basic install.

Overall

I would recommend this for apartments and smaller homes, but if you think you might run into some signal loss over over longer distances, I would advise possible getting one of the other D-Link models,possibly the 2 or 3 antenna models.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

*NEW* retail sealed D-Link 150 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router.D-Link part number is DIR-601

Brand new , never use .
SHIPPING: We begin processing all orders the same day if payment clears prior to 12 PM Central Standard Time (Monday-Friday).All orders that payment c...
Bidding on a brand new D-Link N150 Home 150 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router. Model: DIR-601.