Dannon Light 'N Fit Non-Fat Yogurt With Splenda

I stay light and fit with Dannon's Light n Fit Yogurt with Splenda

Feb 9, 2006 (Updated Feb 9, 2006)

Pros:No fat, only 60 calories, no aspartame, good source of calcium and protein

Cons:I wish it wasn't quite so sweet

The Bottom Line: Aspartame is bad for you. Splenda is not (that we know of). Dannon Light n Fit yogurt has no fat, 60 calories, and is made with Splenda. Any questions?

I don't drink milk and stay far away from cheese because of the fat content. Therefore, I am lacking calcium in my diet all the time. I try to eat some other foods with calcium but, the reality is, many foods that have calcium are high in calories or fat.

I love yogurt and that has saved my bones, I think. I eat at least one cup of yogurt a day. I was eating regular yogurt, sweetened with good old sugar and with a few grams of fat. It tasted so rich. But, after a while, I wanted to cut down on the fat and especially the calories – some yogurts have 220 calories a serving! I decided to go with non-fat yogurt. But then there was the sugar problem driving up the calories so I went with sugar free non-fat yogurt. Aspartame is an acquired taste and I eventually did acquire that taste but never to the point of loving it.

Recently, I found that aspartame actually does cause cancer. It isn't just a theory. That scared me enough to look for alternatives. Ironically Dannon Light n Fit Yogurt, which I had been eating and prefer over other brands, switched to Splenda, a sugar derivative that is (at least currently)not harmful to one's health – but is very low in calories - recently.

I was pretty stoked to hear that one of my favorite yogurts was going the Splenda route. This meant I could have my yogurt and eat it too. And live.

Seriously the benefits of yogurt don't outweigh the scary problems aspartame can cause and I was prepared to stop eating yogurt or go back to the regular stuff and work out harder to metabolize the extra calories.

But alas, I don't have to do either now.

Dannon Light n Fit Facts

This yogurt comes in a plethora of flavors (12 and counting) and in six-ounce cups. I tried Strawberry today. The thing I like about Dannon is that they really go for reality as far as taste goes with almost nails it, tasting quite realistic with little bits of strawberries in it for texture. It's creamy and sweet. Almost too sweet.

I have long wondered why makers of sugar free products feel the need to make the products sweeter than the products with real sugar. Ever taste a diet soda? At first, you will spit it out because it's so sweet. Of course, that is also an acquired taste.

Dannon Light n Fit with Splenda isn't spit out sweet. It is just a touch too sweet for my personal liking. Certainly that extra sweetness will not stop me from stocking up on it though. It has a mere 60 calories per six-ounce cup and NO fat!

Also, for my bones and teeth's sake, it has 15% of both calcium and Vitamin D per cup.

With only 11 grams of carbs and 5 grams of protein plus a bunch of vitamins per serving, this is a must have for me. I tend not to eat much or well and yogurt is essentially my sole source of calcium besides protein or nutrition bars.

What I Think of Dannon Light n Fit with Splenda

Like I said above, the flavor is good. It's creamy and thick and I like that it has little bits of fruit in it for added texture. It is a bit too sweet for my personal liking but all sugar free things I have tried are. I found that after I finished the cup, I had a bit of an aftertaste in my mouth from the Splenda. Usually, that isn't a problem with Splenda and it certainly is nowhere near as bad as the famous aspartame aftertaste. But I did know I was eating a sugar free product while I was eating it – and for a while after.

Still six ounces is enough to give me a boost throughout the day, tame my sweet tooth, and make me happy knowing I am eating something good for me without the scary aspartame that was threatening to take away all the benefits that yogurt gives me.

Because I love Dannon Light n Fit with Fiber (another thing I don't get nearly enough of), I will continue to eat that as well. That has 70 calories per one four-ounce cup, no fat, three grams of fiber, and no aspartame either. Both of these varieties of yogurt will be in my fridge all the time.

Now and then I veer off and pick up a store brand and the difference is amazing. The store brand is thick and dense and is way over the top sweet. It doesn't taste mush like real fruit. The last one I had was a blueberry one and I swear, I wouldn't have known that it was supposed to be blueberry if I hadn't read the label. Not good. Plus, they still use aspartame and I need to wean off that and get it out of my system.

Splenda has no known health hazards associated with it at the moment (ad I hope it stays that way) and is the recommended artificial sweetener now that saccharine and aspartame have proved to be dangerous to one's health. I think I would rather have saccharine than aspartame at this point.

You're not eating healthy if one of the ingredients in a potentially healthy meal or dessert is dangerous to your health. That would be like eating heart smart oatmeal with bacon grease in it. Only much worse in the case of aspartame.

But Would I Like This Yogurt if it Didn't Have Splenda in It?

I would. I would like regular, sugared and fatty yogurt first but, because I am limiting myself from those things, Dannon Light n Fit with Splenda works for me. The sweetness is not overbearing and the slight aftertaste is something that will go away after a few cups of the yogurt. Splenda isn't necessarily an acquired taste per se, but, as with every new formulation, you have to get used to it a bit.

My Strawberry Light n Fit went down just fine and I felt no guilt after eating it – 60 calories and no fat isn't going to cause me to balloon up and have to go on a diet. The Splenda was there to keep me from ingesting more harmful aspartame. And the six ounce cup is just enough for a snack.

Ingredients

This is from Dannon's website:

NONFAT YOGURT [CULTURED GRADE A NON FAT MILK, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, KOSHER GELATIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3], STRAWBERRIES, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SUCRALOSE, SODIUM CITRATE, MALIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), RED 40.

Conclusion

I am eager to try other flavors of this yogurt. I am pretty much a no frills person and actually prefer plain vanilla to most fruity flavors. However, I MUST try the Orange Mango and White Chocolate Raspberry before settling in with Vanilla and Cherry Vanilla.

This is a healthy alternative to so many other sweet tasting treats and Dannon is a name you can trust. With my new outlook on aspartame, the Light n Fit with Splenda line couldn't have come at a better time. I give this yogurt 4 stars. It has lots of flavor, lots of good for you stuff in it, no fat, only 60 measly calories, and has several varieties to choose from. The only thing I would do differently is to lessen the sweetness just a touch. Perhaps the Vanilla will be less sweet. Remember, I am not typical. Most people love very sweet things but I prefer a less in your face taste.

Still, for all the reasons stated above, I recommend Dannon Light n Fit with Splenda. Do it for your health and break that aspartame habit – and do it with a product you can trust.

Note: I received this product from Fleishmann-Hillard in exchange for posting my honest opinion in a review on Epinions.com and that is exactly what this is.

White Boxer Short with I Love Dannon

The Classic Boxer. Heavyweight, soft 100% cotton material, false fly and longer out-seam make these boxers ideal for party favors or promotional give ...

Head Sweet Fat Thang Skis

Head Sweet Fat Thang Skis

The Sweet Fat Thang ski is a light twin-tipped big mountain ski with an attitude. Made for women who push their limits on steep, rugged terrain. Ski s...
The-House.com