DeLonghi Retro XR640 1500 Watts Toaster Oven Reviews

Delonghi, made in Italy? Expensive but not last

Oct 30, 2010
Not yet rated
  • User Rating: OK

Pros:Solid, good looking

Cons:poor quality on essential part, not worth the price paid

The Bottom Line: Brand name or high price do not guarnty good quality

I bought this DeLonghi Retro Toaster Oven at Sears for $90 plus tax. For a toaster with that price tag supposed to be high end, was expecting it to be good quality and would last for a long time.

One of the main reason I chose it was "Made in Italy" which stands out from most of "made in China" everywhere. The "Retro" design looks great, stainless exterior, solid built. good size & capacity for a countertop toaster oven. We actually used it more often than the big oven in the kitchen. Turned out to very disappointed.

Toaster is a very simple appliance. with virtually no moving part. The cheap BlackDecker I own prior to this one last about nine years which I was happy. Unbelievable when the expensive DeLonghi broken down in less than four years, so I decided to took it apart to figure out what was the problem, eventhough I knew it was not worth the time to repair things nowadays, and my intent was not to fix it, just want to know why.

As mentioned earlier, toaster is quite simple so it was not too complicate to took it apart and quickly pin point the problem came from failed timer, KDS-Y-7Min. Ok, so it is the only "moving part" for the toaster so it got broken first, make sense. May be I can buy the part and replace it, but likely I won't bother doing so and just throw away the whole thing.

Don't think I'll trust the Delonghi brand again.

Sleek and elegant, this Delonghi retro-style toaster oven is equally adaptable in classic and contemporary kitchens. Model XR640. Carries manufacturer...