DeWalt DeWalt D28494N Angle Grinder Angle Grinders Grinder Reviews

DeWalt DeWalt D28494N Angle Grinder Angle Grinders Grinder

Solid, Durable, Bulky

May 9, 2009

Pros:-Powerful tool
-Durable
-Kinda versatile

Cons:-Bulky
-Bad for tight spots

The Bottom Line: This proved to be a very reliable and durable tool for me in my commercial application. Very durable, but kinda bulky. But for a grinder, works very well.

In 2008 I worked construction for 10 months as a laborer for a GC on a $70 million dollar 16 story project. Part of my responsiblity was to remove angle irons around the structure used for safty cable until walls or rails were put in place. I probably removed between 100 and 150 of these things, or more, between my partner and I. There were two products we used, the D28949 7" grinder, and DeWalts DC411 3 1/2" cut off tool. The D28949 we used for a few months in the beginning, before we got the smaller, less bulky cut off tool. This grinder worked fairly well, but certainly has some cons, at least in our application.

First problem was that it was very bulky, and many of our angles to cut were in quite precarious places, such as between stair towers, or even on the edge of the building at 14 stories. The trickiest uses were when there was a wall or other imoveable obstacle in the way and this grinder was just too big to use. That's when we really found alot of use for our smaller cut off tool.

Another problem for this tool in our application was that it does not do well at cutting off close to the surface of anything. Now granted, in our application we were using it as a cutoff tool, when in fact it is a grinder. But nevertheless we were left to have to make a pass or two for cutting, then spend several minutes using it to grind the remains flush to the concrete or block.

As a grinder it does work well. That's where it's bulkiness comes in handy. It does have significant weight, so that gave me leverage on many projects, such as grinding remaining angle down below the concrete for tile instalation, or even smoothing out concrete itself. After doing concrete smoothing several times, we did get a diamond coated 3" thick cone add on that REALLY did a super job of knocking down high spots in the often shoddy concrete finishing.

Overall, this tool is very durable and very powerful. It can be bulk and difficult to use in tight spots, but on the other hand it really isn't designed for all that. It's great as a grinder, and did I mention how durable it is? I mean it.

Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search Dewalt D28494N 9 6,000 RPM Angle Grinder Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close full size. ...