Death Proof by Original Soundtrack

Death Proof Original Soundtrack

Jan 11, 2009

Pros:Just about everything.

Cons:The dialogue bits from the movie weren't the best choices.

The Bottom Line: Probably my favorite Tarantino soundtrack, from my least favorite Tarantino movie.

Say what you will about Quentin Tarantino’s movies--and more specifically, DEATH PROOF--no, seriously, say what you will; it’s my least favorite of his and the one I’m least likely to defend--but you certainly can’t deny the man knows how to score a film. And that has never been more obvious to me than with this one. The first time I saw DEATH PROOF, I was about a quarter of the way in when I finally just said it out loud to myself, “I need to get this soundtrack.”

Quentin Tarantino’s DEATH PROOF is a dirty, gritty, ugly movie, full of roadside bars and long, empty highways, and the soundtrack fits that theme perfectly with 9 steamy, blues-driven songs full of bass and gravelly vocals from bands like Smith, T-Rex, and Pacific Gas & Electric. These songs boom from your speakers with a dark and gloomy power unlike any other soundtrack I’ve heard. The movie may have been crap, but the soundtrack is ten kinds of awesome.

DEATH PROOF starts like the movie, with Jack Nitzsche’s muscle car homage “The Last Race”, one of 4 instrumentals included on the disc, but once that’s over and Smith’s cover of “Baby, It’s You” comes on, once Gayle McCormick’s voice starts belting out the song . . . I admit it, I’m a sucker for a raspy voice. Add that pounding bass and it’s the perfect way, as far as I’m concerned, to open the disc.

More instrumentals follow, Pino DiMaggio’s “Sally and Jack” and Eddie Beram’s “Riot in Thunder Alley”, plus Tarantino staple Ennio Morricone’s “Paranoia Prima” but truth be told the instrumentals, fair enough on their own, are not the stars of this soundtrack and, more often than not, come and go without me even noticing.

Tarantino’s included a few sound bites from the movie, as he is wont to do, but these also are unimportant and nowhere near the best moments in the movie--I have no idea why he would pick these particular clips, but whatever, because, again, they’re not the stars of the soundtrack.

The real draw here are the other 9 tracks. T-Rex’s “Jeepster” is a rockin’ bluesy love song and one of the catchiest on the disc while Pacific Gas & Electric’s “Stagolee” is straight blues and completely infectious. Some songs in the world you just can’t listen to only once. “Stagolee” is a perfect example. Tarantino’s dedication to blues on this soundtrack really adds to the feel of the whole thing, all of the songs being either singles or B-sides and, therefore, available at one time or another on any jukebox in any roadhouse--and it helps establish that feeling of being there in that bar with the characters in the first half of the movie.

Joe Tex’s “The Love You Save (May Be Your Own)” is a moody and melancholy song while Eddie Floyd’s “Good Love/Bad Love”, B-side to his single “Things Get Better”, follows suit. And then The Coasters come on with “Down in Mexico.”

This is a funny addition to the soundtrack because DEATH PROOF was originally released as part of the GRINDHOUSE double feature, but if I’m not mistaken, the scene with “Down in Mexico”--which is the best song on the soundtrack--wasn’t even in that version of the movie. Not until the movie was released in its individual version did viewers get to see the lap dance scene with this song. Which is a shame, because it was this very scene, this very song, that caused me to sit up and proclaim my need to own this CD. This is the song that brings the entire soundtrack together, this is the glue that holds all these blues song in check, helps them play off each other with its groovy bass, flavored with a bit of a Latin feel.

In truth, from this point on, the soundtrack begins to lose some of its hold on me, but I attribute that more to how powerful “Down in Mexico” is and to how not much else can equal it, which in turn makes everything that follows seem even less impressive. But when taken on their own, the rest of the songs are still pretty good. Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich’s “Hold Tight” is classic 60’s British rock and roll and Willy Deville’s “It’s So Easy” is straight sleaze rock that could easily be mistaken for ZZ Top at their best.

The soundtrack closes with April March’s “Chick Habit” which, although recorded in 1995, has a very distinctive 1960s sound. This song probably could have knocked the Beach Boys off the charts back in the day.

The thing I’ve always loved most about Tarantino’s soundtracks is the obscurity from which he seems to pluck these song choices. I can only imagine the kind of musical education one could get just from hanging out with him for a weekend and going through his CD collection. On occasion some of his choices leave me wondering wtf, but, for the most part, DEATH PROOF hits it right on the head. A great soundtrack to a mediocre movie and one you’ll find yourself replaying for a long time to come, possibly even to the exclusion of the other CDs in your collection.

Other Soundtracks in My Collection:

Original Soundtrack - Death Proof [pa] - Cd

Photographer: Andrew Cooper.

Kiss Of Death - Original Soundtrack Rare Cd

Kiss Of Death - Original Soundtrack Rare Cd

Original score composed by Trevor Jones.With the 1995 film noir remake Kiss of Death, Trevor Jones delivers his most gripping thriller score to date, ...

Original Soundtrack - Mr. Death - Cd

Original Soundtrack - Mr. Death - Cd

Original score by Caleb Sampson.Producers: Michael Williams, David Collins, Dorothy Aufiero.Personnel: Terry Donahue (accordion, percussion); Billy No...

Original Soundtrack/ - Death Of The Dream - Cd

Original Soundtrack/ - Death Of The Dream - Cd

Original score composed by Steve Heitzeg.Personnel: Steven Heitzeg (acoustic guitar); Peter Ostroushko (mandolin, fiddle); Laura Sewell (cello); Tom L...

Original Soundtrack/ - Death Row Archives (the Soundtracks) [pa] - Cd Boxset

Original Soundtrack/ - Death Row Archives (the Soundtracks) [pa] - Cd Boxset

The cover and track listing on the back don't cop to it, but Death Row Archives: The Soundtracks is a simple repacking of three soundtracks from the i...

Marked For Death By Original Soundtrack (cd, Oct-1990, Delicious Vinyl)

Marked For Death By Original Soundtrack (cd, Oct-1990, Delicious Vinyl)

Producers: Michael Ross & Matt Dike (track 1-2 & 11); Bobby Digital Dixon; The Brand New Heavies; Tony Gonzales; Tony Robinson and Fil Brown; Rick Rub...

Original Soundtrack/ - Death On The Nile [original Motion Picture - Cd

Original Soundtrack/ - Death On The Nile [original Motion Picture - Cd

Composer: Nino Rota .Audio Remasterer: Alan Silverman.Director: John Guillermin.Patterned after the hit 1974 film Murder on the Orient Express, direct...

Original Soundtrack/ - Sex, Death & Eyeliner [pa] - Cd

Original Soundtrack/ - Sex, Death & Eyeliner [pa] - Cd

This is an enhanced CD, which contains regular audio tracks and multimedia computer files.Recording information: Krackerland Studios, Los Angeles, CA.

Original Soundtrack/ - Death Becomes Her [original Motion Picture - Cd

Original Soundtrack/ - Death Becomes Her [original Motion Picture - Cd

Personnel includes: Stuart Canin (violins).Composed and conducted by Alan Silvestri except for Me (Geoffrey Aymar/Martin Donovan/David Koepp).