Definitive Technology Mythos GEM Main / Stereo Speakers Reviews

Sep 25, 2007

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:Unbelievable sound for the price and size.

Cons:you have to search to find a good deal, but they are out there.

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend that you audition the Definitive Technology Mythos Gem Sub/Sat system at your local dealer. For the size and price, this system delivers in spades.

I recently put together a 6.1 home theater system consisting of a Denon 3806 AV receiver and the Definitive Technology Mythos Gem 5.1, plus an extra Gem for the 6. I am using the SuperCube II for the sub. The rest of the equipment is not as critical and I will upgrade the CD and DVD in the near future.
I could not be happier with my selection. I had a limited budget and looked for almost a year at many, many, reviews across a number of brands before deciding on the Definitive brand, and I am glad I did. I have previously owned Klipsch, Bose, Cambridge, and JBL. I would not attempt to compare these speakers too much outside of their category but for a sub/sat system there are a lot of speakers to choose from. I wanted something somewhat discrete but with the ability to deliver the home theater sound we all crave. I went to several retail and specialty stores to listen to setups that were twice as much to half as much. Hands down the Definitive Mythos Gems were the clear winner. There are several reviews on the web from reputable writers and I strongly suggest you check them out. They were absolutely dead on with a 9.8 out of 10 rating.
The sound is rich, full, accurate, and overall spectacular. It doesnt matter if I am listening to stereo or full 6.1, jazz or Led Zepplin,the Mythos Gems deliver a full accurate soundstage that is a "must hear".
My theater room volume is just under 2,000 ft3 which was perfect for these speakers. The imaging is pin point with no harshness, not too bright, not too boomy, and envelopes you with sound. For movies they give everything my Denon pushes to them. Placement is easy with the design of the speakers and you get awesome sound where ever you sit. The Super Cube II is probably the keystone of the system. It delivers the lows in any way you want them. Heart pounding, warm, accurate, and any other words you want to use. There are a number of adjustments that are capable for your room setup and you can fine tune the blend to your preference with ease and accuracy.
Quality is first class. These are relatively heavy speakers for their size. Solid, sturdy, and packed with quality components. Instructions are first class as well, with detail about setting up, placement, and design.
The last bit of praise would be the looks. They are very elegant and understated. They do not try and take the center of attention in the room (leave that for your 62" plasma). You almost forget they are there as they blend in with the front screen and are small enough to be discrete in the surround positions.
But send a signal to them and they come alive with all the music, cinema, and action you can come up with out of your DVD, VHS, CD, and LP collection. Check them out! You will not be disappointed.

Amount Paid (US$): 2,100

Cable, Speaker System, 200 Watt RMS, 2-Way, Magnetically Shielded
Two 3-1/2 Long Throw Upper Bass/Midrange/ One 1 Ferrofluid-Dampened Pure Aluminum Dome Tweeter/ Magnetically Shielded/ Polished Black Finish/ Price ...
Abt Electronics
Multi-Purpose Compact Speakers Black angled midranges create a wide soundstage,frequency response 60-30,000 Hz,handles up to 200 watts
Crutchfield

Learn more about Magnolia Premium Installation Listen to your music with these Definitive Technology MYTHOS GEM VCZE bookshelf speakers, which feature...
Best Buy